Hey.
I just want to go out and say it - I haven't really been Guitaring that much past the last year and a half. But all of a sudden I have got interested in music again? or well...playing /making music.

I have had my Cherry/Chrimson Red Pacfica for about 3-4 years now, and it's my first guitar, So I'm looking on something new.

I have Gotten interested into play Newton Faulkner tabs on my pacifica, and have been practising Finger plucking techniques, so really I suppose I'm looking for an Acoustic Guitar.

This is the one that has caught my fancy : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindo-Beginner-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B005LUB5UI/ref=sr_1_29?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1331582426&sr=1-29

I'm just noting the word "Beginner" which is kinda not me - I fancy calling myself intermediate.
it just looks like a great guitar though.

I was thinking about getting one of these instead : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5401123/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7C14419512%7CMusical+instruments%7C14419569/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419569%7CGuitars%7C14419578/Trail/searchtext%3EGUITAR.htm

Crap i know, but I'm only really a hobbiest 17 year old, And I would feint if I bought a £600-£700 Guitar.

I was however interested in : http://www.vibesmusic.co.uk/fender-squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-thinline-p-1215.html
But I kinda don't want to reach the price tag

is the Lindo Guitar half decent? if So, I'll buy it. It just feels really wrong not seeing it in person - and My Local Music shop kinda intimidates me as the cheapest guitar is like £300 so...yeah ...

Thanks. I'm sure you get loads of Post like this one
It's really difficult to start splitting hairs on the relative "virtues" of sub $100.00 (USD) acoustic guitars.

Reading the specs, it seems like the wood is from nuisance trees which were cut down because they were fouling power lines.

With that said, I understand the restrictions of budget, so don't go off. I trend toward heavy sarcasm, you ask anybody here. No apologies though.

Amazon allows you to shop by price range. So my question, is why did you settle on that brand? That answer, would probably help the people here understand your logic, and possibly offer affirmation or alternatives.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 12, 2012,
I understand the sarcasm.

I chose the guitar because it was one of the most popular.
There are however little reviews of Lindo - and most of those are bad.

The Wood is mahogany front but Plywood Body, pretty bad.

Have any suggestions?

I thought about a Fender CD-60, but it just seems a bit to "My First Guitar"
, While the Lindo looks really awesome.
The traditional starter is Yamaha F310 £100ish. Stepping upmarket would be Yamaha FG700MS £170ish or Washburn WD10S £150ish.

Secondhand, the F310 is quite common on Ebay around £50+
I also like the look of the epiphone AJ-100

EDIT : The Washburn certain sounds great - put a smile on my face anyway.
I wish I could Try it
Last edited by naf456 at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by naf456
OK, this is in literary terms, what is known as an, "antithesis"! Rephrased, it comes out like this, "everybody buys them, then nobody likes them". If you see my point

Quote by naf456
No, the sound board is mahogany...wait for it...PLYWOOD. Just a very thin veneer over a specie or species of unknown parentage.

Quote by naf456
Have any suggestions?
The most traveled route is often the best way there. A Yamaha F310 has been suggested, and there are a lot of happy 310 first time buyers here than have nothing but good things to say about it.

Quote by naf456
I had a hi-fi product rep say to me, "you can sell anything", followed by, "you can practically wrap a turd in tinfoil, put a ribbon on it, and somebody will buy it".

Point being, "looks can be deceiving, caveat emptor".

Another Dave's idea of allowing somebody else to suffer the initial depreciation and buying a better guitar used, is also worth considering.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by naf456
I understand the sarcasm.

Have any suggestions?

Buying a guitar because it "looks awsome" or buying a little know brand in that price range without trying it first is a recipe for dissapointment. There is a good chance that ultra cheap guitar is poorly set up, with the saddle to low or too high, which would make it for the most part, unplayable. Even if it's playability was acceptable, the tone would likely be substandard.

I agree with the Yamahas that were mentioned, they will have the best quality and tone ratio for the money spent.

Also read the stickies at the top of this forum about buying guitars.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Thanks for your help.
I really like the sound of the Washburn, and I'm trying to get a wd10sce for near 150, or a wd10s for 150. They seem quite rare over heard in the uk. Then again, I've only bought one guitar, purely on the basis of that's what my lgs told me was best.
It's supprisingly hard when you have like, 50-60 guitars to choose from.
I like/love the Washburn, or the sound of it Atleast. still looking however.
another vote for the yamaha. best sounding guitar in its price range - i've blind tested it with several others on friends, fellow guitar shoppers and sales guys, and without knowing which was which, they always chose the yamaha.

btw. whether the guitar is labelled as such or not, ALL the guitars in this price range are beginner or beater instruments. you'll have to spend a lot more to get away from entry level, but there are some decent or good quality entry level guitars out there well worth playing, so i wouldn't get hung up on a label. choose the best guitar - tonally and playability-wise - and have fun playing.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 13, 2012,
I finally realised why I'm put off by some guitars, even if they sound good or not.
I Think it's down to there feel.
What I mean by this, is some guitars from Fender and from Yamaha feel like there "manufactured" rather then "made".... Stupid right?

But I think it's totally 100% true. My Yamaha Pacifica 012 feels manufactured - it feels like it's one in many of hundreds of thousands being produced every hour of the day because their extremely popular, because they sound decent for a £130 guitar, but because of this, they have no characteristic.

I love the Washburn, as it feels "made" - although probably being manufactured just like the Yamaha's and the Fender , however there is a different feel to the guitar, and I'm talking telepathically.

Am I crazy? maybe....

Man I think a Washburn is for me....
Do any of you guys(and gals) get the same feeling when buying a guitar?
that you you just listen and it clicks, that it's the guitar for you?
And I think playability is all down to how well the person can play the guitar in the first place - am most of it - like the action can be tweaked to suit your like anyway, So I don't really see playability as a concern really - the first thing I did with my Yamaha is replace the strings, adjust the Action and tighten the tsuk bar alittle (The Bar going through the neck)

I think that's one thing that attracts me in building my own guitar - it's your's inside and out, and is the only one like it in the world.
My Grandfather recently pasted away, he used to be a fitter and turner, and has little Lathe's and pillar drill and a plane and stuff as he used to be in wood work.... I could use his tools maybe.
My Friends Are doing DT for there A-Levels, and could teach me some wood work stuff, and my brother has qualifications in wood work, so he could help (he Has been playing for 7-8 years, but recently sold his guitars due to lack of money... (House or guitars?))

But Hey it's just a dream... Could even start my own company after my Grandfather - William Guitars ... sounds sweet!
Nah - too many guitar companies as it is!
Quote by naf456
Thanks for your help.
I really like the sound of the Washburn, and I'm trying to get a wd10sce for near 150, or a wd10s for 150. They seem quite rare over heard in the uk. Then again, I've only bought one guitar, purely on the basis of that's what my lgs told me was best.
It's supprisingly hard when you have like, 50-60 guitars to choose from.
I like/love the Washburn, or the sound of it Atleast. still looking however.

Was not too impressed by the Washburn. i vote for yamaha
Your making a mistake by equating Yamaha electric guitars to Yamaha acoustic guitars. Yamaha is well known for their acoustic line of guitars, they have good build quality and tone, especially in their entry level guitars, that no other companies, that I'm aware of, can touch in that price range.

When it comes to guitars, the term "playability" means a guitar's action and how well the neck's width, profile and string spacing, fits the player's hand.

I think most long time players would agree with you that the feel (and fit) of a guitar is one of the most important factors when chosing one.

If you like the feel and tone of the Washburn, then by all means buy it, but doing so without trying some of the other brands like Yamaha might lead you to future dissapointment.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
i used to have that prejudice against yamaha guitars. i'm so over that now - your emotional response to their brand has nothing to do with whether their guitars are good quality with nice tone, and that's the reality. i've never played a washburn i liked the sound of as much as a yamaha, and i've played a LOT of guitars.

regarding playability, while action can be adjusted - NEVER use the truss rod to adjust the action - there are other things affecting playability. among them is neck angle, but there are things that are different from person to person - neck profile and fingerboard radius can make 2 guitars with the exact same nut width feel completely different. i find that i play faster and enjoy it more on a guitar with a neck profile i'm comfortable with. that's part of playability that you can't change after buying a guitar.

the bar going through the neck is called a truss rod. building guitars is a very expensive thing to get started doing, and it takes patience and precision. it also takes understanding of both acoustics and working with wood, and after that, how the two things work together.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I Have taken another look into Yamaha. I have used - I think it was the f310, as my school has like 24 of them. They are good- I used them a lot when doing my Music GCSE.

The takamine's sound alright to but the specs don't add up to the Washburn.

And the Washburn has a solid spruce top, and Mahogany back and side with a rise wood board and bridge,

While the Yamaha Fg700s has Solid spruce top and Nato back and sides.

So is lamient mahogany better then Nato?- it doesn't say if the nato is solid or laminate (i'd imagine laminate.) and the Washburn has bone saddle and nuts while the fg700s doesn't say.

Bearing in mind the wash burn is £40 cheaper