Poll Options
View poll results: Help Me Decide?
HP Pavillion DV7
16 55%
Toshiba Satellite P750
13 45%
Voters: 29.
inb4 computer thread, I wanted a poll.

So I'm going to college in August and I'll need a new laptop before I go. I've set
a budget of £800, here's the two contenders....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5087004/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968 /c_2/2|14418968|Laptops+and+netbooks|14419039.htm
- Core i5 2.5Ghz
- 6GB RAM
- 1TB HD
- 17.3" Display
- AMD Radeon 7470M (1GB)
- Beats Audio

Toshiba Satellite P750
- Core i5 2.3Ghz
- 8GB RAM
- 640GB HD
- 15.6" Display
- Nvidia GeForce GT 540M (1GB)
- Blu-ray Player

I do a bit of gaming, and I'll also be using it for sound production.

Also, I work at Argos and get a staff discount, so I'm not open to other suggestions
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
The Pavillion looks better specs-wise. No idea about either company as far as reliability and such go, though/
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by ChrisBW
I would never want a 17" display on a laptop...

Why?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I'd go with the HP.

Aside from the better specs, it's more reliable than a Toshiba.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by ChrisBW
I would never want a 17" display on a laptop...

It's going to be pretty stationary most of the time, and I'd rather have a big screen

I'm swaying towards the HP, but I've got no experience with either of the brands, and the Beats sound system is putting me off a little...
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Everybody I know has had AWFUL experience with HP. My friend decided that even after all the negative comments on them, the specs were really good for the price, so he got an HP laptop.

He took it back 3 or 4 times to be repaired, including software and hardware malfunction. He had it for about 3 weeks before giving up.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
I owned a lot of different brands of laptops and in my experience Toshiba's always last the longest. That said however I don't know a lot about specs etc. and I once bought a HP camera which didn't work within the week so I'm prettty biased

Edit: I also own a 17" toshiba and it isn't that big? anything smaller and I get annoyed by how small the letters are etc. As long as it's not too heavy a 17' isn't that bad.
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Last edited by Thecla at Mar 12, 2012,
Surely you could find another laptop with decent specs for £800 without needing a store discount?

HP would probably piss in your lap and spit in your eye whilst the Toshiba is a bit meh for that budget.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
I have an older HP Pavillion dv5, it's about 4 years old now. I've never had any major issues with it, but it does come with a ton of preinstalled crapware that you might want to get rid of.

Seems to have pretty decent hardware, though.
I have the dv7, and I have never had a problem with it. Awesome computer.

EDIT : I've had it for a loooooong time.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Todd Hart
Why?

Well I suppose it's because I have a laptop as my mobile/school computer, and also have my PC at home for recording and gaming. Before I had a desktop PC I used to always want a 15" laptop but now I think that's even too big. I'm actually 90% sure I'm going to get a Macbook Air rather than the Pro when it's finally time to upgrade. And I used to hate the idea of Macbook Airs. Portability looks more appealing when you have a beast machine on your desk at home.

Quote by Laird95
It's going to be pretty stationary most of the time, and I'd rather have a big screen

I'm swaying towards the HP, but I've got no experience with either of the brands, and the Beats sound system is putting me off a little...

If that's the case it probably isn't a big deal, but you could always get an LCD screen if you really needed more screen real estate. I ended up getting a second screen for my desktop to use when recording. Although you might not have that much space...
I've had awful experiences with HP and Toshiba - not with the specs or anything, but with the design. Lets just say the placement of the heatsink in the HP was such that running resource-intensive tasks for too long risked melting the hard drive it was right beneath and leave it at that.

That said, my negative experiences with Toshiba were way back around 2005, while HP was 2009, so Toshiba's had more time to correct the mistake. Plus Satellites don't look like they used to. Pavilions still do, which means they probably still melt hard drives.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by LRCGUITAR
8GB of RAM seems a bit overkill...

I've got 8GB on my desktop and really it is overkill.. I've never gone above like 4 and I game all the time, as it's a gaming PC I built.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Dude, I have had shit experience with any windows laptop. Save up and get a Macbook Pro.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
if you're doing games and audio, then the bigger screen will be nice, especially if you're not taking it about much.

edit: also what the guy above me said. I had a decent amount of savings when my old laptop died so i sprung for a 15" mbp and it's a really nicely built laptop with a great screen. They are pretty pricey though and I'm now on my 3rd motherboard in under 6 months. (the first was accidental damage though and apple replaced it for free anyway, which is great customer service, the second was just plain dodgy and died in like 2 days, no problems with the 3rd).

V £1 is like $1.56
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 12, 2012,
Assuming a British pound is still ~ 2 USD those are both terrible deals for the money.

I spent just over 400 bucks USD on my current laptop which has Intel Core i5, Nvidia GEForce GT 540M, 2.4 GHz processor (with turboboost to 3.0 GHz - I think it's essentially some built in overclocking thingy for the high performance setting), 640 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, and a 6 cell battery that last over 10 hours with the display dulled and on powersaver mode. It has a 14 inch screen, but I wanted portability principally.
I don't think 8GB is too much now. Well my actual response would be "it is, but it isn't." It isn't necessarily a bad thing to have more than you need, and as more and more software switches over 64 bit (Avid I'm looking at you ) it should be more useful to have it.

As for a Macbook Pro, I'd recommend one if you can spring for it and aren't totally against Apple . Every Apple computer seems to last way past when they become obsolete. The family business runs on Macs and we still have a couple that are like 10 years old. My white Macbook is almost 5 now and it's still chugging along great. The only reason I want a new one is seeing everyone at school with their cool aluminum MBPs. I swear I have one of the oldest computers there lol.
Quote by ChrisBW
I don't think 8GB is too much now. Well my actual response would be "it is, but it isn't." It isn't necessarily a bad thing to have more than you need, and as more and more software switches over 64 bit (Avid I'm looking at you ) it should be more useful to have it.

As for a Macbook Pro, I'd recommend one if you can spring for it and aren't totally against Apple . Every Apple computer seems to last way past when they become obsolete. The family business runs on Macs and we still have a couple that are like 10 years old. My white Macbook is almost 5 now and it's still chugging along great. The only reason I want a new one is seeing everyone at school with their cool aluminum MBPs. I swear I have one of the oldest computers there lol.

yeah that's definitely true - I've got an old orange iMac from 1998 with a 400MHz processor that can still run iTunes while browsing the internet, and it isn't even that slow at it. It's got a DVD player and everything

Of all the Toshiba's I've ever used, they all slow right the fuck down even with maintenance.

They're just shitty imo.

The HP definitely is looking a lot better than the Toshiba.

Plus the 17' screen is awesome, as I have the same dimensions for mine.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by jgbsmith
yeah that's definitely true - I've got an old orange iMac from 1998 with a 400MHz processor that can still run iTunes while browsing the internet, and it isn't even that slow at it. It's got a DVD player and everything

A couple years ago I put OS X on one of the color iMacs and was running Sim City 4 on it. It was awesome

It took up almost the entire hard drive
Quote by ChrisBW
A couple years ago I put OS X on one of the color iMacs and was running Sim City 4 on it. It was awesome

I'd still like to buy one of those clamshell iBooks now that they're old enough to be dirt cheap, but new enough not to be worth something, and see if I can get it to run any program from the past two years.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by ChrisBW

mine's got a 60GB hard disk in it that I took from an old PC, so it's got my whole music library.

Quote by necrosis1193
I'd still like to buy one of those clamshell iBooks now that they're old enough to be dirt cheap, but new enough not to be worth something, and see if I can get it to run any program from the past two years.

We had an orange one but it got stolen years ago. I really wish we still had it around. I bet they could still run some software though.
I've had two HP laptops die on me. My brother had one die on him.

We've both had Toshibas for about 2 years, and haven't had any problems.

I personally would get the Toshiba. Plus the screen is a better size for a laptop. I guess if you're mostly leaving it stationary then the bigger size on the HP isn't as much of a problem.
I think Muffinduck had a pic comparing different brands of laptops and as I recall HP was pretty shitty compared to Toshiba. I'd go with the Toshiba.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I have a HP which looks the same, has the same specs, but I'm not sure what it was called. I didn't actually bother about reading that; I just saw the picture, price and read through the specs, but I believe it is the same computer.

I've had it for nearly two weeks now, and I love it. It seems to work fine right now, and my brother has had one for half a year which has worked wonderfully too.

Quote by ChrisBW

ASUS laptops are known to last longer, actually, but only marginally. In other words, you can get a trustable laptop without paying a Apple-price for it, and if you're into gaming, a Mac isn't what you'd want.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Mar 12, 2012,
unless you really want the blu-ray player (which seems pointless for the next few years), buy the HP. I bought a dv6 in september last year, and I am really happy with it. So far, I have had no problems whatsoever. some friends of mine, however, did buy toshibas and are regretting that decision now - several overheating problems, among other problems. they are usually overpriced too. but what I didn't understand is why you are comparing a computer with a 15.6" screen and one with 17.3" screen. if you need the bigger screen, then you should be comparing a 17" screen toshiba, not a 15". if you don't, why are you considering the HP dv7 instead of the 15" screen dv6?
Quote by ChrisBW

Macbooks actually have a higher failure rate than any other laptop, if I remember correctly. cbf to find the source on this.
Toshiba even though for that budget you should be getting something alot better.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
any hp i've had work really well. until the fan decides it doesnt want to turn and everything gets superhot and then it all frys. until then, they're good. also, whichever one has a full keyboard. more keys = better
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP