I can comfortably alt-pick at up to 80bpm, yet when I go up...my index finger starts to hurt because I seem to be holding the pick tightly. Any help please?
dont hold it so tightly...

remember your ultimate goal is to play guitar totally relaxed. if you feel like you need to hold it really tight, it could be your holding your pick incorrectly or you are at a bad angle for speed. Usually, when someone tremelo picks, or speed picks, they slightly adjust the angle of the pick and it allows for you to play a little faster without holding the pick so tight.

It's a super simple way to play faster, but I didn't realize it until I played standing up (standing up your forced to play at an angle as opposed to perpendicular to the guitar string).

Give that a try, if you need help I would look up tremelo picking on youtube, since they usually show you in those vids how angling your pick makes picking fast much much easier.
Don't hold the pick, just let it "be" between your fingers without ANY pressure.
??...Now I can't even alt pick at 60 angling it so the top of the pick is closer to the bridge...My grip tenses up to retain control of the pick. I tried just letting it be...kept dropping it.
How fast can yo go just using the fingers no wrist movement. just moving your thumb and index finger in and out try that for a while should stop you becoming rigid.
But this goes up to 11
Quote by deltadaz
How fast can yo go just using the fingers no wrist movement. just moving your thumb and index finger in and out try that for a while should stop you becoming rigid.

Quote by Freepower
Do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

You want to hold the pick really lightly, if you can't, you're holding it wrong or doing something else wrong (perhaps using too much pick to attack the strings.)

I still tense up. Also, it hurt a little on the index finger.

EDIT: I believe that was how I was holding it
Quote by Freepower
Sure, then you're just gripping it too tightly. You just have to take things really slow and reteach yourself the appropriate amount of pressure needed.

Okay...I'll just have to start loosening up until I can play comfortably...then try and bring that up to 210-232bpm for some slayer.
I've been working on the same kind of thing myself recently, a fun way to practice is to use Amazing Slow Downer to work through tunes at increasing tempos until you can nail em. That way you can learn by ear and work on the stuff you like to listen to, all while relentlessly drilling right hand stamina. I've been at it a couple of months now and I've seen big results and had a lot of fun.
How am I supposed to register Amazing Slow Downer?

EDIT: I can't learn by ear...ears aren't trained...That's why I use tabs
Last edited by N1K156 at Mar 14, 2012,
Best Practice is like a free version of ASD, and you can buy full ASD here - http://www.ronimusic.com/

And learning things by ear is an important skill to develop, your ears aren't trained because you haven't trained them. It's fun man, just start figuring out the stuff you like, you'll learn more than you do with tabs anyway.
Quote by Freepower
Best Practice is like a free version of ASD, and you can buy full ASD here - http://www.ronimusic.com/

And learning things by ear is an important skill to develop, your ears aren't trained because you haven't trained them. It's fun man, just start figuring out the stuff you like, you'll learn more than you do with tabs anyway.

The only reason I know there's a Lotta low E in slayer is because that's common in thrash metal...megadeth the exception. And do you mean try and transcribe at this early state? Don't know where to start bro.
Just start somewhere, it doesn't really matter where. Something like "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is fairly easy, maybe a Green Day tune, a pop song, a nursery rhyme melody... just start doing it.
Quote by Freepower
Just start somewhere, it doesn't really matter where. Something like "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is fairly easy, maybe a Green Day tune, a pop song, a nursery rhyme melody... just start doing it.

Any good ear trainers? I listen and I just can't tell...How can I start doing it if it will just lead to frustration when I can just use the tab?

Back on the original topic: Should I just play more slowly until I can control the pick? I tense up to maintain control...Another thing I noticed is that I feel more resistance up-picking than down-picking.
Try and figure out "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on one string, starting on the open note. It'll all fit in the first 12 frets. Ask yourself "Does it go up or down?". Then if it goes up, find out which note it is by trial and error.

The best ear trainer is just starting to figure stuff out, it's fun. Just do it.

On original topic - yes, you need to play more slowly and work on your relaxation, don't worry about "speed" at all. Just work on staying loose. This will massively improve your sound, stamina and speed.
Quote by Freepower
Try and figure out "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on one string, starting on the open note. It'll all fit in the first 12 frets. Ask yourself "Does it go up or down?". Then if it goes up, find out which note it is by trial and error.

The best ear trainer is just starting to figure stuff out, it's fun. Just do it.

On original topic - yes, you need to play more slowly and work on your relaxation, don't worry about "speed" at all. Just work on staying loose. This will massively improve your sound, stamina and speed.

What about Angel of Death? That's the song I plan on learning.
Quote by Freepower
Sure, just start. It's a pretty tricky song but if you enjoy it then go for it, you'll have more fun figuring it out than twinkle twinkle anyway.

Well I may learn it with tabs then use it for ear training.
Quote by Freepower
Sure, just start. It's a pretty tricky song but if you enjoy it then go for it, you'll have more fun figuring it out than twinkle twinkle anyway.

Any tips for determining what string to use? Most songs use more than 1 string
Quote by N1K156
Well I may learn it with tabs then use it for ear training.

No, that's a terrible idea.

How are you going to use it for ear training exactly? That's like saying "I'll just learn off the answers then do this quiz".

Any tips for determining what string to use? Most songs use more than 1 string

You can just listen and try your best, the wound strings sound a little different, higher frets on lower strings are a little wooly and so on. To be honest, the string doesn't matter that much, the notes are more important.

Just do it, stop asking me questions about it and start figuring things out.
Back to the original topic lol. My index finger is the one that hurts when alt picking. I'll edit this post with a pic of how I hold the pick.

EDIT: I got Rock Discipline earlier in the week. Should I just play the excercises and pay attention to what John is explaining?
Last edited by N1K156 at Mar 16, 2012,
I got Rock Discipline earlier in the week. Should I just play the excercises and pay attention to what John is explaining?

Pretty much, yeah.

I think it's a good idea to take one or two exercises a week, do them each 10-15 mins a day.
Quote by Freepower
Pretty much, yeah.

I think it's a good idea to take one or two exercises a week, do them each 10-15 mins a day.

Uploader being a PIA, will be up once i get the pics to an acceptable size (100kb limit is BS btw). Do warmup exercises count?
Last edited by N1K156 at Mar 16, 2012,
I think "warmup" exercises are a waste of time.

If you want to physically warm up and get the blood pumping, you should shake out your arms and shoulders for about 30 seconds. Or you can just noodle through tunes and random fun things until you feel ready to practice.

In reality, if you're playing guitar correctly, your motions will be very small and you won't be exerting much effort, so you won't "warm up" very quickly by just playing. Doing a big shakeout is much quicker.

ED: if you want to see what kind of exercises I think are worth practising you could take a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8285311F648D6999&feature=mh_lolz

My general views on exercises are here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcEHxH4S9_c&feature=BFa&list=UUbo9n5Y8ojo5Q_4RnqPthvA&lf=plpp
Okay BTW A sticky on learning by ear would be nice Then a page of this thread could be redundant
Row, row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily merrily merrily
Life is like a dream

C Major

Easy to ear out, and it uses no sharped or flatted notes because it's C Major.

The third line is also a downward C Maj arpeggio (chord tones) with every note played in triplets. (unless you pronounce 'merrily' as mair'ly) If you can learn to 'guess' where the song is going you should find that to be some decent ear training.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Mar 17, 2012,