This is quite a vague question, but I study Exercise and Health Science and I've got to start to think about my dissertation, I have a few ideas but I'd really like to do something thats relevant to the average exerciser:

So if theres any myths/exercises/supplements you guys take or have heard of that you either do or see other people doing and ever wondered what the science behind it actually says then just jot it down here. obviously a lot of things you might say will have a lot of science behind it already, but hopefully something will pop up that doesn't (a lot of things you might think are based on solid evidence probably aren't! so just go for it).

examples might be protein shakes/tablets, sports drinks, vitamin or mineral supplements, creatine etc. or even things like drop sets (i would be interested in this but im not sure on their popularity, i see a few people do them in the gym i go but not sure about others).

maybe you exercise a lot to lose weight but don't lose weight (let me know your routine - it will most likely be common = great dissertation idea!), or maybe you do a lot of strength training but dont seem to gain muscle as fast as others.

like I said, its quite a vague question, but it would be good to do a dissertation on something thats quite common, obivously i do exercise, but its more for maintaining health rather than improving certain things so i dont have a lot of knowledge of common practices in gyms etc.

thank you to anyone that comments with an idea, this is my first post in over a year in here!
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
A very common thing you see in people who are starting out in muscle training, is that the faster you pull weights, the more weight you lift- the faster you get muscles. Which is quite ironic, because, the more work you do- the more muscles grow, and it's much harder to do exercises slowly. And, also, you shouldn't do it in bursts or use momentum to your advantage, that gives muscles less work, and thus you don't exercise as efficiently.

You won't get 6-pack abs even if you do 4000 different ab exercises a day if you have fat there. Another thing, you can't lose fat in a SPECIFIC area of your body, like abs. It only happens over-all. So, if you want 6-pack, lose the weight first.

Diet DOES matter, a lot of people forget that.

edit:

Running at early morning gives less benefit than during the day, and is in fact dangerous. Mostly, due the fact that air is cold.
Last edited by Aralingh at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Aralingh
A very common thing you see in people who are starting out in muscle training, is that the faster you pull weights, the more weight you lift- the faster you get muscles. Which is quite ironic, because, the more work you do- the more muscles grow, and it's much harder to do exercises slowly. And, also, you shouldn't do it in bursts or use momentum to your advantage, that gives muscles less work, and thus you don't exercise as efficiently.

You won't get 6-pack abs even if you do 4000 different ab exercises a day if you have fat there. Another thing, you can't lose fat in a SPECIFIC area of your body, like abs. It only happens over-all. So, if you want 6-pack, lose the weight first.

Diet DOES matter, a lot of people forget that.

edit:

Running at early morning gives less benefit than during the day, and is in fact dangerous. Mostly, due the fact that air is cold.

Yeah it's interesting how many people neglect diet. I haven't been working out very long but I barely do any ab exercises but mine are fairly strong. I'm fortunate to be super skinny and never had much fat to lose there, but my abs are strong from doing other exercises.
Quote by ChrisBW
Yeah it's interesting how many people neglect diet. I haven't been working out very long but I barely do any ab exercises but mine are fairly strong. I'm fortunate to be super skinny and never had much fat to lose there, but my abs are strong from doing other exercises.

Cycling is one of the best sports for abs, it exercises them and also makes you lose fat. Although running and swimming would be best for losing weight, but little work for the abs.
Just don't be doing ab isolation exercises until you can actually see them.
How muscles grow when resting .. and a lot of people don't realise / neglect this and overtrain .. you gotta rest up and do as much, if not more, work in the kitchen, as you do in the gym.

Stretching is a big one as well .. overlooked by pretty much everyone I know who lifts weights .. gotta stretch the skin to allow room for muscles to grow.
Legend

Peterborough United FC
Not sure how helpful this is, but the Wii Fit.

Too many people think that playing on the Wii Fit for half an hour a day counts as exercise. It does not.

I have been on it a few times and I spent 90% of the time standing on the board maneuvering menus, and when I was actually doing an "exercise", it constituted me leaning left and right or standing on one foot.

The Wii Fit does for exercise what Mario Kart does for Formula 1: Bugger all.
just want to say thanks to all your replies, I'm not home at the moment but i will be tomorrow and shall reply to you all properly. thanks again.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09

The diet thing is true.

I gradually changed my diet over the past few months to a much healthier one and my performance had gone through the roof. My recovery rate has become especially high. I'm not sure whether that's down to just training harder or eating better but I can typically train hard for hours with short breaks because I recover so quickly. I'll typically do loads of exercise bike work and then do core and arms and then go back to the bike because my legs have recovered, then go back to core and arms, and then back to the bike etc. etc.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Too many people think that playing on the Wii Fit for half an hour a day counts as exercise. It does not.

(Invalid img)
I run about 60 to 70 miles a week and I am still gaining weight also I do a lot of abs like crunches medicine ball you name it but we do very little upper body maybe 2 times a week and that when we do abs also hope this helps.
Hey, TS, here's an idea for you to write about.

Do a study/write-up on the long term effects of lifting with and without supplements. Of course we all know that supplements will help achieve your goals short term, but we also know that as you introduce more and more supplements into the body, your body tends to stop naturally producing those hormones over time.

The question is this: Is it better to exercise with or without supplements in the long run (in the course of 20-30 years or so)?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by VoxSG
I run about 60 to 70 miles a week and I am still gaining weight also I do a lot of abs like crunches medicine ball you name it but we do very little upper body maybe 2 times a week and that when we do abs also hope this helps.

It is possible you are running too fast. when it comes to fat loss its quantity not quality of exercise. if you are running hard and fast then you will be getting your energy from an anaerobic pathway which unfortunately primarily uses carbohydrate sources. to burn fat you need to be working at a very low intensity. something that you feel "i could walk/jog like this for days!" - that will be burning fat.

if you are at a moderate intensity and you are covering all these miles then it may be down to diet. a lot of people who exercise jsut naturally compensate with an intake of food. and this leads people to believing they can't lose weight, they can, they just have to not consume anymore calories!

if you think you do all this, then i would be interested to know your exact workout regime and get a rough guide of your diet.

another thing is everyone is different when it comes to exercise - and this is the hot topic at the moment, they have finally decided that everyone responds differently to different exercises, so continuous running may not be the thing for you!

Quote by JustRooster
Hey, TS, here's an idea for you to write about.

Do a study/write-up on the long term effects of lifting with and without supplements. Of course we all know that supplements will help achieve your goals short term, but we also know that as you introduce more and more supplements into the body, your body tends to stop naturally producing those hormones over time.

The question is this: Is it better to exercise with or without supplements in the long run (in the course of 20-30 years or so)?

unfortunately there is a lot of research done in to supplements, and there is only a handful that actually work (creatine, caffeine and sodium bicarbonate are probably the main ones that do work) most others have no significant effect on performance, yet people still take them. a great example is protein. people take so much protein and are just wasting their money, yet sales continue to increase despite science saying you dont need to supplement with protein.

that long term thing is a great idea, unfortunately i dont have 20 years! but it is a good idea.

although this is all a bit of topic i hope the information is useful.

and the stuff on the Wii, there is a quite a bit of research there, but it obviously doesnt get pushed around in the public too much which is why you may not have seen it!
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09

Quote by Aralingh

Running before breakfast is good if you wanna loose weight. The body is pretty much out of proper calories and starts burning fat a lot quicker than normal.
Also, lol @ cold air. I guess skiing is pretty deadly as well?

I would like to see a study were someone compare the differences between running on a treadmill and running outside (like on a bit hilly track and not on a completely flat surface).
Mostly cause I want to prove that treadmills are useless >_>
Honestly, there's not much I hate more than them.
Last edited by flxjhnlrssn at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by dumps
It is possible you are running too fast. when it comes to fat loss its quantity not quality of exercise. if you are running hard and fast then you will be getting your energy from an anaerobic pathway which unfortunately primarily uses carbohydrate sources. to burn fat you need to be working at a very low intensity. something that you feel "i could walk/jog like this for days!" - that will be burning fat.

if you are at a moderate intensity and you are covering all these miles then it may be down to diet. a lot of people who exercise jsut naturally compensate with an intake of food. and this leads people to believing they can't lose weight, they can, they just have to not consume anymore calories!

if you think you do all this, then i would be interested to know your exact workout regime and get a rough guide of your diet.

another thing is everyone is different when it comes to exercise - and this is the hot topic at the moment, they have finally decided that everyone responds differently to different exercises, so continuous running may not be the thing for you!

unfortunately there is a lot of research done in to supplements, and there is only a handful that actually work (creatine, caffeine and sodium bicarbonate are probably the main ones that do work) most others have no significant effect on performance, yet people still take them. a great example is protein. people take so much protein and are just wasting their money, yet sales continue to increase despite science saying you dont need to supplement with protein.

that long term thing is a great idea, unfortunately i dont have 20 years! but it is a good idea.

and the stuff on the Wii, there is a quite a bit of research there, but it obviously doesnt get pushed around in the public too much which is why you may not have seen it!

Well im running for college i can get you the workouts and i could tell you what i eat roughly.
Quote by dumps

Yeah, didn't really put too much thought into the practicality of the experiment, haha.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by VoxSG
Well im running for college i can get you the workouts and i could tell you what i eat roughly.

not to worry because i would need at least 15 odd people with a near enough exact same routine as you and diet habbits. but if you would like any advice i would be more than happy to give some!

and that cold air shit and running in the morning being dangerous is bull, where did you hear that from?!
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09

I take a small amount of caffeine before each half of my workout (one half a 5 hour energy before exercise bike/treadmill, the other half before swimming). From what I've read (about three blogs or so ) it increases your endurance and reduces soreness later. Doesn't do much for weight lifting workouts though. I notice a huge difference in my workouts on and off caffeine. Don't know the exact sciences behind it though.
I run frequently and I always drink sports drinks such as Powerade. Sometimes I wonder wheter it really is as effective as the research says it is. I personally don't feel any more difference when I take it before, during and after exercise than if I took standard orange cordial.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

The thing about exercise is it's like finances, if you eat more than you burn off, you will gain weight, not lose it.

It's like if you take on debt faster than you pay it off, it does not matter how much you take in or how you are spending it.