My guitar's action is just a smidge too high. On the lower frets, it plays fine. But up past around 12 or so it's just a little bit too high to comfortably solo on. I've adjusted the truss rod and the bridge can't be lowered any more without buzz. So should I take the neck off and place a small shim in the pocket? If there's another way to correct it, please let me know. Just got a pack of strings and was wondering if I could fix this during a set up.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Shim is needed only when you have high action and cannot lower the bridge any further. In this case your problem is the fretbuzz point. I don't see a shim would help you at all. Check your setup again. Remember that the neck should only gives a slight bit of relief. Too much relief and you will end up with high action toward the higher frets.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

^ what he said.....also remember if we are talking about electric guitars it's normal for a small amount of buzz to be heard without an amp, but as long as no buzz can be heard through the amp you are good.