K so I don't know if this is the right place to post this but whatever. So I finally found myself a drummer to jam with. And were gonna have a jam session sometime soon.
The thing is if he plays some drumbeat I'm really not great at just coming up with some riff to play over it. Is there any advice you could give me to help me with this like which scales to use and so what.
Thanks.
start off with something rhythmic, even if its just power chords, then try and vary that rhythmic statement with 2 or 3 notes that are similar to the tonal center you've stated with the poer chords, maybe a riff will come to you by this point...

all else fails just go avant-garde on him and do whatever you want
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
12 bar. Lots and lots of 12 bar
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Jam sessions.....good in theory, not really in practice, especially at your current skill level.

Instead I'd pick a couple of covers to learn before the jam, and then just jam those out
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well what specific skills will I need to learn to be able to do this better. And I also forgot to mention that we'll be playing metal if that helps.
then just tune down to drop d and chug away!

there aren't really any skills you need, if you can play guitar you have all the skills you need to create something new on the guitar. i think you're trying to make sense of something that really doesn't have to be explained. running through scales and arpegios doesn't help you discover that you can write a song with a I V vi IV progression
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Ok I just haven't really done anything like this before because I haven't really jammed with a good drummer before, and didn't know if there was anything that could help with this. But thanks anyways.
Don't play over him,play along with him,you can pick your best lick or chord progression.Tell him faster or slower.You got your choice,not him,and give him a chance to riff.Just back off a little and nod to him or whatever.Its a no lose situation unless one of you really sucks.panhead201
once you get there i think you'll feel a little better. think very rhythmically, especially for metal and drummers tend to be kinda busy, so you gotta lay down something that at least makes sense rhythmically. learning a song wouldn't be a bad idea, even if it's just part of one, take a maiden progression like C to D to E and just go off on it. or do your own version of the heavy part of "One", i remember doing a heavy version of "My Sharonah" at a session once
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican