Poll: Using homeless people as wi-fi hotspots?
Poll Options
View poll results: Using homeless people as wi-fi hotspots?
It's all right by me.
34 54%
It's wrong.
20 32%
I don't know if it's right or wrong.
32 51%
I'd pay for the wi-fi service
22 35%
I would not pay for the wi-fi service.
36 57%
I don't know if I'd pay for the wi-fi service.
20 32%
When I grow up, I'm going to wi-fi hotspot academy!
30 48%
Voters: 63.
An "experiment" which involved using homeless people as mobile wi-fi hotspots has attracted criticism, forcing the advertising agency behind it to defend itself.

A division of Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH) equipped 13 homeless people with 4G mifi devices in Austin, Texas.

It suggested the public pay $2 (£1.30) for 15 minutes access to the net.

Comments posted to the BBH's site accused the project of being "unseemly" and "wrong".

Members of Twitter asked "what has this world come to?" and accused the project of being a "gimmick".

However, others praised the idea as being "inspirational" and a chance to create a "positive interaction between the public" and homeless people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17345926

Thoughts on this? Is it right, wrong, whateves bro? Would you get wi-fi from a homeless person using them as a hotspot?

I really don't know what to think. On first glance it seems really fucked up, but I guess it's a way for homeless people to make some money. It still seems wrong, though, like they're just tools for you to get wi-fi, you get to track them on a map to see where they are and shit, they don't have that privacy.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's fantastic.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'd be able to use internet in the tube to London!
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by captaincrunk
Are the homeless people being paid proper wages?

Nah not much exactly. You could argue it's more than they'd get paid doing nothing, but I don't think that's an excuse for any low payment.

Don't really know what they'd make per month, though. Article just suggests $2 per 15 minutes of use.
I disagree with the entire thing, but, fuck me, I just cannot stop laughing.

"My homeless hotspot keeps wandering out of range,"

Ahahaha....aaahahaaaaaa. Ahahahahaa.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Kensai
Nah not much exactly. You could argue it's more than they'd get paid doing nothing, but I don't think that's an excuse for any low payment.

Don't really know what they'd make per month, though. Article just suggests $2 per 15 minutes of use.

Serve 5 people per hour and you make a decent wage. 2-3 on average and you are on minimum wage.

Sounds like a decent idea ifpeople would use it. Pareto efficient actually.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I see no problem with this.

It gives them something easy that pays and it gives the people the ability to access wifi in places that pretty much wouldn't have it.

Win win? i tihnk so.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Serve 5 people per hour and you make a decent wage. 2-3 on average and you are on minimum wage.

Sounds like a decent idea ifpeople would use it. Pareto efficient actually.

I think under the right conditions you could make quite a lot. But paying $2 for 15 minutes of wi-fi is quite expensive when you think about it. Most people got routers at home anyway, or mobile internet. Maybe not in texas

Quote by Dirge Humani
im in ur pollz ruinin ur resultz

I expected more from you.

Bazinga.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Am I the only one who voted seriously? >.>

This is the Pit, what were you thinking?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
It's alright by me, and I wouldn't pay for it.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Kensai
I expected more from you.

Bazinga.

Pft, make better polls then.

"I don't know if I'd pay". What sort of pansy-ass option is that?

I think under the right conditions you could make quite a lot. But paying $2 for 15 minutes of wi-fi is quite expensive when you think about it. Most people got routers at home anyway, or mobile internet. Maybe not in texas

Mobile data is slow and expensive, and more and more people are better at passwording their wifi in America now.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Kensai
I think under the right conditions you could make quite a lot. But paying $2 for 15 minutes of wi-fi is quite expensive when you think about it. Most people got routers at home anyway, or mobile internet. Maybe not in texas .

It's probably for people in the city who are eating on a bench etc. But I agree that probably not many people would use it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
As long as they pay the homeless to carry the equipment around, it's pretty cool.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
This is the Pit, what were you thinking?

To be honest, I'm not sure.

EDIT:
Quote by RU Experienced?
I want to do this, only without being homeless. I'll wait for people to pay and then sprint away from them full-speed.

What if people start giving you bad reviews? Like "man with piss stained blue jeans ran after payment, do not hire."

I'm pretty sure what's worse than a hobo is a hobo with a bad M.O.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Pft, make better polls then.

"I don't know if I'd pay". What sort of pansy-ass option is that?

It's an option for people who don't know

Btw I'm blaming you for people voting all the options. That doesn't happen in MY multiple choices polls.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Mobile data is slow and expensive, and more and more people are better at passwording their wifi in America now.

Are these people walking around cheaper and faster? Than just getting your own router or whatevs.

Quote by Neo Evil11
It's probably for people in the city who are eating on a bench etc. But I agree that probably not many people would use it.

Yeah I don't think it'd work that well in Europe, but maybe in places where they don't have similar access to internet.
Quote by Kensai
Are these people walking around cheaper and faster? Than just getting your own router or whatevs.

If I'm going to use these, its because I'm out of range of a router, and I need to do something online for whatever reason. I get charged $15/mo for 200mB data, and if I go over by even one bit, I get charged another $15/mo forever. So yeah, this could be much cheaper. And probably faster than the shitty 3G internet my phone gets.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
To be honest, I'm not sure.

EDIT:

What if people start giving you bad reviews? Like "man with piss stained blue jeans ran after payment, do not hire."

I'd rename my wifi signal and stop wearing pants to prevent being identified. I just like the idea of a homeless person/wifi hotspot running down a busy city street with businessmen carrying laptops in tow.
Quote by Kensai
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17345926

Thoughts on this? Is it right, wrong, whateves bro? Would you get wi-fi from a homeless person using them as a hotspot?

I really don't know what to think. On first glance it seems really fucked up, but I guess it's a way for homeless people to make some money. It still seems wrong, though, like they're just tools for you to get wi-fi, you get to track them on a map to see where they are and shit, they don't have that privacy.

They don't have privacy to begin with? You could technically follow them anyway since/if they have no private property to go to.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Bizarre. I don't know if that's right or wrong. It's too weird for me to consider right now.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
No different to selling The Big Issue really. They're offering a service.

Can't really see how well it's gonna do though. Too many places offer free wifi nowadays.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I think the idea of making it possible to track the homeless puts them in a great deal of danger and is irrespsonsible.
Good idea but why not just go to a free hotspot instead.

EDIT: Now I have actually thought about it a bit more I does seem a little degrading towards the homeless :/
OSCILLATE WILDLY!
Last edited by Smeghead64 at Mar 12, 2012,
Like others here, I dunno about the morals of it, but its pretty hilarious to me. But I don't see the problem if they were informed and did it willingly..
I don't own any mobile wi-fi devices, so don't really care.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Wait, do the homeless guys get any money for being the wifi spots?
If not, then this is wrong.

Btw, I voted all
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by willT08
I think the idea of making it possible to track the homeless puts them in a great deal of danger and is irrespsonsible.

This is pretty much what I see wrong with this. That, and this concept seems just morally wrong, exploiting the homeless for a profit.

I really wanna know who was the jackass that came up with this concept and how it went down when it came time to vote if the company would do this or not
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Mar 12, 2012,