Poll: Vote
Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
Yeah, I think everyone does, except maybe newborn babies or things along that nature
126 56%
Maybe not EVERYone, but the vast majority
54 24%
I don't think everyone is like that. Plenty of people aren't
37 17%
Other
7 3%
Voters: 224.
Page 1 of 4
This is something I've always been on the fence about.

Do you agree with the idea that everyone, whether subconsciously or not, stereotypes, generalizes, etc. people based on race or sex? It might be very small, passive, etc. but psychologically it's almost impossible to avoid?

For me, I don't support racism and I think stereotyping is bad and all that good stuff, yet I know that sometimes I might stereotype people based on race very passively. It's usually small, but I know I still do it. I don't think it's something good about myself, but I'd be naive if I thought I've never done it before.

On one hand, it's very hard for me to imagine somebody who totally views everyone as an individual, and doesn't stereotype or generalize in the slightest, and he notices no difference between races or sexes that are beyond physical.

Yet on the other hand, just because it's hard for me to imagine doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and who am I to claim every single person does it?
i hate your ****ing threads. they're always designed for a 200+ post discussion and shit. its so pretentious
Quote by killjoy_bentley
i hate your ****ing threads. they're always designed for a 200+ post discussion and shit. its so pretentious
Sorry to hear that.
People are threatened by things they don't understand, or that are different. A person from a rich white gated community who has never seen a minority in their life will think differently of them because they are visibly different. Its up to the individual at that point to either try to understand them, or hate them.
You'd have to be completely removed from society and other people to not make stereotypes or generalizations about anyone based on their appearance (including but not limited to factors such as race and gender).
Quote by killjoy_bentley

Bro chill out, everyone has some racisim.
Quote by killjoy_bentley
i hate your ****ing threads. they're always designed for a 200+ discussion and shit. its so pretentious

Jealous cause you only make threads everybody hates because of their stupid unnecessary poll options?

OT: Yes, everyone generalize based on different things, it's natural and actually I think it's pretty useful.
No, not everyone. I've yet to meet a young child (4-6 years) that had 'em. They're learned over time.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by killjoy_bentley

you're just saying that because he's black.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
To be honest some racism just has a foundation. Immigrants are more likely to be jobless or commit crimes.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
There's no way you can think of absolutely everyone as an individual, you have to categorize some people and things. Grouping people in with eachother doesn't have to be negative, though. It doesn't mean you're racist, xenophobic or whatever, that's only if you consciously attach negative views to a certain group.

I think everyone has some sort of categorizing thinking, and some confirmation bias, yes.

Quote by killjoy_bentley

Take it from this guy, he knows how to make a non-weird thread
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Not true at all in my opinion.

Like the guy said a few posts up. Stereotypes, racist and sexist tendencies are learned. Therefore, given that a good number of people realise as kids that they're bullshit, not everyone has racists/sexist tendencies.

EDIT: After reading Kensai's post, I think I should point out that I do accept that grouping people in your head is something that most, if not all of us do. But this isn't racist/sexist in and of itself.
Last edited by willT08 at Mar 12, 2012,
I think everyone has some small tendencies that are a tad bit racist or stereotyping.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
It's human nature to group things and thus strip them of individuality - it's not a case of being racist or xenophobic, it's just a desire for order and distinct categorisation.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
You've gotta be a Jesus incarnate to not stereotype or have racist tendencies. The best anybody can do is try and limit the racial/stereotypical thoughts and not let them dominate their way of thinking. We're all racists because it's almost natural to be for survival. But I think we've all made strides in being appropriate and not discriminating solely based on race or perceived tendencies.

It's not a bad thing to notice racial features or anything.

Quote by killjoy_bentley

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't have racist tendencies at all. I am racist, I just hate Arabs.

And no, I'm not joking.

Good for you.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
The more diverse the environment you grow up in, and the more you travel to different places around the world, the easier it is to see the pettiness of racial differences. So yeah, I'd say it's absolutely possible to not have those tendencies.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I don't think everyone is like that, mainly because I don't feel I'm like that. I will, however, judge you based on whatever stupid shit may come out of your mouth.
Quote by MakinLattes
I don't think everyone is like that, mainly because I don't feel I'm like that. I will, however, judge you based on whatever stupid shit may come out of your mouth.

You never have any racist thought in your head ever? I don't believe you.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Yeah, I agree. Personally, I hate Christians. I know plenty of good ones, and I try not to discriminate on a personal level, but it's what my past experiences dictate. It's not even a conscious thing, really. I guess I'm just biased. I'm not trying to start a religious debate, btw. Just contributing my twopence.
Quote by Neo Evil11
You never have any racist thought in your head ever? I don't believe you.

Not to my recollection, no. I didn't grow up in an environment dominated by one ethnic group.
Quote by MakinLattes
Not to my recollection, no. I didn't grow up in an environment dominated by one ethnic group.

Neither do I. Still I stereotype.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I am, but in a lighthearted way. Plus I make fun of my own all the time. I just like the comedy when stereotypes ring true.

For example, there are a lot of Korean people around here, and a lot of them are all the same. My roommate was telling me about how she has this one Korean girl in her class, and she's trying to befriend her. But the girl isn't receptive at all because she-

Before she even has the chance to say it, I ask "because she's playing games on her iPhone the whole day?" My roommate goes "YES!! OMG HOW DID YOU KNOW??" I lol'ed.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Neo Evil11
Neither do I. Still I stereotype.

Then that's you dude. Stop projecting.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by killjoy_bentley

Someone is so jelly.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would consider myself to be prejudiced rather than racist. I admit to having pre-defined stereotypes of certain cultures even though I haven't actually met many people from them, but not inherent dislike. They're views which I have due to the way my family regards them, and also the people I've met from the culture.

I'm very xenophobic though, I don't like foreigners at all. Of course, I'm English, therefore extremely arrogant. It's perfectly acceptable for me to migrate to another country but I find myself a little irked at the large amount of immigrants we have over here. I don't like how they haven't become integrated into our culture - Anglicised if you will. In England, we queue. If you don't like it, piss off.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Then that's you dude. Stop projecting.

Projecting? Most immigrants just don't act to the norm, everyone must see that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

So what if they don't?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by RU Experienced?
You'd have to be completely removed from society and other people to not make stereotypes or generalizations about anyone based on their appearance (including but not limited to factors such as race and gender).

This is the answer.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by Neo Evil11

What does that even mean?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Kensai
So what if they don't?

Well it depends. Some cultural differences are harmless, but others are just extremely grating and unacceptable.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kensai
So what if they don't?

Then stereotyping is ok if this is a systematic problem. If the kids from these groups act like twats, then sometimes yeah I think: oh it's them again. That's racist or discrimination or whatever. But based on actual behaviour.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It's simple psychology that we identify more with people that look like us, be it gender or skin color.

Quote by Andalus
I would consider myself to be prejudiced rather than racist. I admit to having pre-defined stereotypes of certain cultures even though I haven't actually met many people from them, but not inherent dislike. They're views which I have due to the way my family regards them, and also the people I've met from the culture.

I'm very xenophobic though, I don't like foreigners at all. Of course, I'm English, therefore extremely arrogant. It's perfectly acceptable for me to migrate to another country but I find myself a little irked at the large amount of immigrants we have over here. I don't like how they haven't become integrated into our culture - Anglicised if you will. In England, we queue. If you don't like it, piss off.

Well aren't you charming?
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Mar 12, 2012,
I can understand where you're coming from with this.
I personally try not to be racist or anything, but my mind sometimes has a preconceived idea of what someone will be like just by looking at them.

I don't think it's to do with racism, more to do with stereotyping. Sometimes I'm right with my preconceived idea, sometimes I'm wrong.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Xiaoxi
I am, but in a lighthearted way. Plus I make fun of my own all the time. I just like the comedy when stereotypes ring true.

For example, there are a lot of Korean people around here, and a lot of them are all the same. My roommate was telling me about how she has this one Korean girl in her class, and she's trying to befriend her. But the girl isn't receptive at all because she-

Before she even has the chance to say it, I ask "because she's playing games on her iPhone the whole day?" My roommate goes "YES!! OMG HOW DID YOU KNOW??" I lol'ed.
I know exactly what you mean.

There's this cute Chinese girl in my roommates accounting class and he was telling me about how he was having trouble approaching her. I cut him off right there and said "because you're afraid to ruin your shoes sloshing around in rice paddies?" Well, he didn't appreciate that and said it was more of a cultural/linguistic barrier because she's an exchange student.

Anyway, you had to be there.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Crazyedd123
I can understand where you're coming from with this.
I personally try not to be racist or anything, but my mind sometimes has a preconceived idea of what someone will be like just by looking at them.

I think it's inevitable. Humans are meant to find patterns in things. And with experience, your mind starts categorizing all sorts of difference traits, whether it's race, nationality, gender, clothing style, interests, etc and start building a model for all those parameters. Anyone who says he doesn't stereotype is just lying to himself.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Neo Evil11
Then stereotyping is ok if this is a systematic problem. If the kids from these groups act like twats, then sometimes yeah I think: oh it's them again. That's racist or discrimination or whatever. But based on actual behaviour.

Do you even know what stereotyping is?
Quote by RU Experienced?
I know exactly what you mean.

There's this cute Chinese girl in my roommates accounting class and he was telling me about how he was having trouble approaching her. I cut him off right there and said "because you're afraid to ruin your shoes sloshing around in rice paddies?" Well, he didn't appreciate that and said it was more of a cultural/linguistic barrier because she's an exchange student.

Anyway, you had to be there.

Oh yea no, if she's a FOB, it ain't worth it. Take it from a certified Chineseses!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by MakinLattes
Do you even know what stereotyping is?

A popular belief about a specific type of individuals, i.e. foreigners.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 4