Page 1 of 2
I'm a senior in high school and I have a lot of absences. Today when I walked in class, my teacher sent me to the office (to talk to the assistant principal about the absences) and said, "I'm going to do everything in my power to fail you." He recently went through my attendance and replaced all hw/test I made up when I was truant with a 0.
So I go to the assistance principal and she called in my parents and due to our conversation it was obvious I wasn't sick all those times, which led to her changing my excused absences to truancies. I believe this was by my teacher's request so he could drop more grades.

So the problem is, if a teacher is motivated to fail a student, it's quite easy to do so for obvious reasons. He's also giving me a "special" makeup test JUST for me. Looking at the legal perspective, did he cross any lines? Can the AP really change excused absences to truancies just because?
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Maybe you should turn up to your ****ing lessons?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It depends what you were absent for. If you have a medical condition that requires you to leave class a lot, then maybe he's in the wrong.

If, however, you're lazy, then screw you.

Third possibility is that the teacher has the hots for you and wants you to perform sexual acts to not fail
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
If they consulted your parents and determined that the "excused" absences were forged and/or otherwise illegitimate it seems entirely within their power. Sounds like you're boned. Though it is only fair to the other students who attended all their classes. But you did make up all the work in any case, so it seems rather silly to let something like attendance determine your grasp of the material.

Oh well, good luck.
Quote by Todd Hart
Maybe you should turn up to your ****ing lessons?

lol, ****ing lessons.

But fair enough, attending lessons is pretty important.
You can't flip burgers for McDs from home.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
I'm a senior in high school and I have a lot of absences.

That, sir, is your problem right there. Wait until college to start skipping your classes.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Third possibility is that the teacher has the hots for you and wants you to perform sexual acts to not fail

I hope to God it's that one.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Can the AP really change excused absences to truancies just because?

Well, if they discover that you were in fact truanting, I imagine they would be compelled to correct it.
Why weren't you in school?

Seems to me that he shouldn't be wasting his time in purposely failing you as you'll probably fail all on your own.
You need to speak to your teacher and beg him or her to help your situation out. Make an attempt to look like you care about your grade. While you are doing this make sure to record them.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by MakinLattes
It's not "just because". You skipped school and lied about the reason. Now you have to deal with the consequences.

pretty much this, skipping school seemed cool at the time yeah?
this will be your lesson in taking consequences.
Gear
-Shecter Omen 6 Extreme
-Yamaha JX20SC Acoustic
-Roland : Cube 80x
Wishlist
-Mbox recording hardware
-Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)
-Boss Overdrive pedal
I had a lot of absences that were technically excused, as my guardian wrote an excuse, but then the school determined that I was not sick and my guardian was excusing my absences for other reasons. All of my makeup work was zeroed out just like you are describing, and it was actually the assistant principal who said basically the same thing to me about making sure I failed. Instead, the same assistance principal had me expelled for 'excessive absences', which I didn't even know was possible at the time. Regardless, I was expelled with passing grades in every class, even the ones where my homework grades were zeroed out. Due to my situation at home, I had to go at this point and get my GED and move on with my life, which I did. Point being, at the end of the day it was my fault. It isn't the teacher's job or the principal's job to be your friend or be on your side - it is their job to get as many students as possible to pass and move on to lead successful lives. I do agree that a lot of educators have lost sight of that goal, though, and some do seem to use their position of authority to play out some sick issues they have. We still have to take ownership of our own issues.
Thats basically your teacher telling you to get your act together if you ever wanna hold a 5-day-a-week steady job
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Thats bullshit man, If your passing the classes but not going to class it shouldn't matter. Im from Canada so maybe its different, but I skipped a lot of classes in high school and I still pulled off good grades, so they never threatened to fail me. It sounds illegal to me, but I'm not an expert on this stuff.
Quote by Dewy141
Thats bullshit man, If your passing the classes but not going to class it shouldn't matter. Im from Canada so maybe its different, but I skipped a lot of classes in high school and I still pulled off good grades, so they never threatened to fail me. It sounds illegal to me, but I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Of course it's not illegal, and of course it matters if he isn't attending. School isn't about grades, it's about learning how to be part of society - if he can't be bothered to turn up to school then he deserves to fail.
It isn't illegal, but clearly your teacher is a knob who doesn't properly grasp the function of his position.
I hated class. We spent so much time watching movies and going to assembly's (pep rallys), that I barely had the motivation to go to class. Class time should be spent covering the material not playing games and conducting bullshit experiments.
Dude, you reap what you sow. You're not giving your teacher the respect she deserves, so she's going to try to fail you. Sounds right.

That being said, trying to fail someone is a bit much, but she's the teacher and it's her class you're in.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Teachers aren't supposed to "do everything in their power" to fail their students. Did you piss this guy off in a way we haven't heard of?

Quote by MakinLattes
Truancy is illegal in the US.

Seriously?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Teachers aren't supposed to "do everything in their power" to fail their students. Did you piss this guy off in a way we haven't heard of?

Seriously?

It's illegal here in the UK too.
Do you get sent to jail if you skip classes? Or do you get fined?
Quote by Kensai

Seriously?

Yeah, if the police cartches you skipping school they can legally apprehend you and take you to school

Most of the time it's for the student's own good cause they're a dumbass for skipping school and walking around jerkin off.

Also, I had a professor who basically came out and said that he was receiving a lot of pressure from his department to fail students because not everyone was ready to go onto the higher-level course. It's a bullshit approach, but I don't think high school teachers are supposed to go by this mentality
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
You were wrong to skip class so much, but if a teacher said something like that to me, I'd think he was an utter cunt.

Your best bet's probably to try to make amends and show you genuinely want to get your act together. Even if you don't.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
YOU created the situation
Man up and deal with it.

Try that shit when you have to WORK for a living.

You better start looking for those cardboard boxes than refrigerators come in, cause thats gonna be your address.
Quote by Kensai

I think it's a fine, although the police only get involved in cases of repeated truancy. It's mainly done so that repeat offenders get a criminal record, and thus it can cause them issues getting jobs later on and the like.
Quote by MakinLattes

That's some bullshit. If I can legally drop out, I should be legally able to take a ****ing day off from school.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Todd Hart
I think it's a fine, although the police only get involved in cases of repeated truancy. It's mainly done so that repeat offenders get a criminal record, and thus it can cause them issues getting jobs later on and the like.

haha what a shit country
IIRC, legally you can't be failed for "non-academic reasons," (basically, they can't fail you just for getting into fights or mouthing off) but if they want to revert all your unexcused make-up work to 0, then they can. Something about them not having to give you the opportunity to make it up in the first place.

My advice: Get your bum ass to school and do the work. You might still be able to pass.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Thrashtastic15
haha what a shit country

I fail to see what's wrong with it, frankly. You get your criminal record wiped of minor offences at 18 anyway, so it only effects you in the short term.
Quote by vicarious46
Yeah, if the police cartches you skipping school they can legally apprehend you and take you to school

Most of the time it's for the student's own good cause they're a dumbass for skipping school and walking around jerkin off.

Quote by Todd Hart

What's the point of having kids who skip school get a criminal record? That won't help them go to school.

I'm not sure it should be illegal... seems strange.

Quote by CodeMonk
You better start looking for those cardboard boxes than refrigerators come in, cause thats gonna be your address.

TS adress is gonna start with 192.168.0 if he doesn't shape up his act

/clever reference to my latest thread
You go to school to learn. If you actually learned the material and proved that you learned it by showing it on the makeup assignments and tests then it shouldnt really matter if you show up for class or not. But assuming you go to a public school the school gets federal funding based on how many students show up for school so its in the teacher's and principal's best interest to get as many students to show up as possible which is probably why they are trying to force you to show up.
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by Todd Hart
Of course it's not illegal, and of course it matters if he isn't attending. School isn't about grades, it's about learning how to be part of society - if he can't be bothered to turn up to school then he deserves to fail.

I hope you're joking.

Your teacher's a prick, TS. Not unlike most others. Except the ones who teach the little kids, they're nice.
In my experience, teachers only act like that to little shits who deserve it. Are you a little shit who deserves it, TS?
Quote by Kensai

The person talking about the criminal record is off just a little bit - when you turn 18 your minor record is sealed. What they can do is actually hold your parents legally responsible for you making it to school, they can be charged with contributing to delinquency and other small crimes where they can be fined or imprisoned for short terms.

The student involved can actually be charged with one of many 'unruly juvenile' charges which can result in being sentenced to a juvenile detention center for a period of time.

Once you are 18 they can't charge you with any crime I don't think, but the schools can basically kick out kids who are 18 or older without any real justification.
Quote by MakinLattes

I thought you were kidding, but the story checks out. I was a criminal back in high school.
Around here, if we miss 16 days, we're kicked out of the course. Regardless of our mark, and we need a note from a doctor saying that we NEEDED to miss the time, for a school related event, or a death in the immediate family.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I thought you were kidding, but the story checks out. I was a criminal back in high school.

And I had a 400 pound Tongan security guard chase me down the block on more than one occasion.
Page 1 of 2