Page 1 of 2
Do you think it is right to inform women whether there unborn babies have a disability? Do you think it would be right to amend dna to prevent disabilities?

Do disabilities define some humans, and by deliberately eliminating them is that then removing more than just the disability itself?
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Do you think it is right to inform women whether there unborn babies have a disability? Do you think it would be right to amend dna to prevent disabilities?

Do disabilities define some humans, and by deliberately eliminating them is that then removing more than just the disability itself?

Suggesting a person is nothing more than their disabilities is one of the more horridly ignorant things I think I've ever seen on UG, bar-none.

As for whether or not people have the right, or whether or not it's moral to terminate someone based on their disability/amend their genetic code, it's no more right or wrong than it is to kill someone because they believe differently from you.

My personal opinion is that humans have far too much advancement for their ability to harness or control, or even to make sound judgment with. Giving them more power in terms of life and death will likely only lead to more horrid things.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 12, 2012,
It would be wrong not to inform them of anything about their children they couldn't otherwise know. And why would it be wrong to fix problems for everyone? I don't see why not, as long as it's safe for everyone involved..
Think of it this way: is it not as equally unethical to deliberately not attempt to fix something that could extremely detrimental to the child's life and the parent's finances?
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
They should be informed as early as possible to recognise such conditions.
It is also well within their right to abort should they not want to, or not be able to care for severe illness/disability.

/canofworms
Up to each individual woman, yes, and yes. I'm not going to dignify the last question with a response.
Yes, parents should be informed. They should have access to all health information available about their unborn child.

Yes, it would be right to prevent genetic diseases. We would do it to an already-born person, and if it's safe, there's no reason we shouldn't also give children the best life that we can provide.

Yes, some people define themselves by their disability, and by taking that away, we may be taking away some peoples sense of identity. This wouldn't apply to babies, because they have not had to live a life with a disability yet.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Ah, another abortion thread... but this time it's disguised.

Anyway, I know what you're asking and I believe that if we could change the DNA of a newly fertilised egg as to make it normal, I'd agree with the practice. The problem is that I don't think we know exactly how to do this and the "test runs" before we perfected it could end up ruining lives of children who's DNA was messed up by people trying to fix it.
You basically just described the movie Gattaca

If you're really interested in this definitely watch that movie
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by instagata0
Yes, parents should be informed. They should have access to all health information available about their unborn child.

Yes, it would be right to prevent genetic diseases. We would do it to an already-born person, and if it's safe, there's no reason we shouldn't also give children the best life that we can provide.

Yes, some people define themselves by their disability, and by taking that away, we may be taking away some peoples sense of identity. This wouldn't apply to babies, because they have not had to live a life with a disability yet.

This, but with the caveat that the parents should be able to choose not to fix the disability as well.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by R. Shackleford.

I came to post exactly that.

Also "I never saved anything for the swim back"
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by strat0blaster
Suggesting a person is nothing more than their disabilities is one of the more horridly ignorant things I think I've ever seen on UG, bar-none.

As for whether or not people have the right, or whether or not it's moral to terminate someone based on their disability/amend their genetic code, it's no more right or wrong than it is to kill someone because they believe differently from you.

My personal opinion is that humans have far too much advancement for their ability to harness or control, or even to make sound judgment with. Giving them more power in terms of life and death will likely only lead to more horrid things.

Actually the opposite. I was trying to ask if disabilities are something that we want to eliminate from the world, or are they a fundimental part of someones character that should be kept if people are born this way?
Quote by R. Shackleford.

(Invalid img)

your username

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Parents should certainly be informed. I guess what kind of genes that would cause such disabilities being hereditary depends on the disease itself. If it was cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy, then yes, it should be prevented, but if it was a disorder like asperger's that isn't life threatening, then no.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 12, 2012,
Genetic diseases which are harmful in a physical sense should be avoided yes. Less serious disabilities and other congenital birth defects shouldn't be no. A person is more than their disability but cystic fibrosis isn't fun for anyone.

It's completely up to the parents though.

Also this threads been around loads & loads.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Actually the opposite. I was trying to ask if disabilities are something that we want to eliminate from the world, or are they a fundimental part of someones character that should be kept if people are born this way?

Depends on the severity of the disability. Being mentally retarded would be classed as a disability, but i wouldn't 'eliminate' all people who are slow. It's a pretty wide topic and comes down to a lot of ifs & buts.
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Mar 12, 2012,
inb4 that ****tard from that other thread. Due and Gibson know who I'm talking about.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
If I was pregnant they had damn better tell me. Would you not want a doctor to tell you a malignant tumor was forming in your scrotum?
Quote by WCPhils
inb4 that ****tard from that other thread. Due and Gibson know who I'm talking about.

Just come out and say it. It was me wasn't it?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by WCPhils

who was it from what thread tell me now i need to know if i should pop some popcorn.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Yes, and yes.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by kaptkegan
This, but with the caveat that the parents should be able to choose not to fix the disability as well.

How is that ethical? That's essentially condemning a child to be disabled. I can see the argument, and kind of agree with it being better to live disabled than never to live, but I don't see how you can argue it's preferrable to live disabled than to live healthy?
Quote by rock.freak667
I came to post exactly that.

Also "I never saved anything for the swim back"

"For future reference right handed men dont hold it with their left"

That was such a good movie

Quote by moscaespañol
your username

Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Up to each individual woman, yes, and yes. I'm not going to dignify the last question with a response.

All of this.
PM me for newts
If she wants to.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Disabilities can definitely be a fundamental part of who people are. I use a wheelchair and I wouldn't be offended if I was born without the need for one, but I don't feel that I have a "problem" necessarily. It's a part of who I am, and I think it's a pretty shitty reason to abort a fetus.

I have multiple friends who were diagnosed with physical disabilities before birth. One is a business owner, and aborting fetuses sure gets rid of that ability, don't you think? If this isn't an abortion topic at the moment, my bad.

Information about a child's impairment is very handy, but parents should still realize that a disability isn't necessarily a hindrance. I mean, I'm an engineering student, I work part time, and I consider myself social. I wouldn't say it reduces my quality of life in any way whatsoever.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Oh I got it now. Sorry - misunderstood you 1,000%.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I like how you say "women" in the thread title, not just people. Having a disabled child is going to effect both parents. In this case it's not just a matter of birthing the child, but more about what happens afterwards.

Anyways. that's just complaint # 1, I'm not even going to address the rest.
hate to sound like a dick but I would like to know if my unborn child had a disability and if my partner was comfortable with it, i would want to abort it. I wouldn't want to have the difficulty of raising such a child, also i would feel somewhat uncomfortable bringing a child into the world knowing how greatly it would suffer.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by gabcd86
How is that ethical? That's essentially condemning a child to be disabled. I can see the argument, and kind of agree with it being better to live disabled than never to live, but I don't see how you can argue it's preferrable to live disabled than to live healthy?

I would certainly never not treat an unborn child if I could, but fetus rights are tetchy, and if I believe in someone's right to choose an abortion, I think I have to believe in their right not to enact genetic treatment on an unborn fetus. Otherwise I would feel hypocritical, no matter my personal views on either topic.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
As a deaf person, I can't stand putting another deaf kid of mine through the same shitty life experiences that I've had. I'm all for eliminating disabilities, as horrible as that sounds.

I realise I'm signing my own death warrant here, but I'm ok with it.
--- You know I can't have your ghost chips ---
'normal' is overrated and arbitrary
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by CoreysMonster
Disabilities hinder humans from leading anything resembling a meaningful life.

Jokes on you because that man is a famous scientist...
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Page 1 of 2