I usually learn songs that don't have bass tabs by ear but i can't hear the bass much on this song called "the Unfaithful" by Memphis May Fire. It's on drop C or C# question is how do people hear the bass in bands that have C tuning. i know the that tuning is low which is why I find it hard but is there a way for me to hear the bass clearly?
Listened to your song, and I take your point on the bass not cutting through the mix although in hardcore bass seems to be used to feel rather than hear. Whenever I learn any song I do it through headphones as the bass becomes much clearer, and for this song the bass mostly follows the root note and the chord progressions are pretty simple so if you play along and find the note that sounds right and seems to fit with the song, it probably is.
It really depends on the mix. I can hear a low F# around 22hz in Mnemic's music because of how it's mixed. I would suggest getting some noise-canceling earphones with excellent bass response.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Usually bands like that, the bass hardly deviates from the guitar, if it does, it's just simpler melodically or rhythmically. Just follow the guitar.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
You can probably also make some progress by listening on a system which has a good 10" or 12" subwoofer. You would drop the system volume and raise the sub level in relation to it.

Low bass at 22Hz is almost below human hearing, and even toward the lowest end of all but 15" or 18" subwoofer responses. So, even with a competent low bass enabled stereo, you might have better luck at hearing the 1st octave harmonic (44 Hz), and just play what you here there, an octave down....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 13, 2012,
I would suggest getting some noise-canceling earphones with excellent bass response.
Quote by nancan
I would suggest getting some noise-canceling earphones with excellent bass response.

^this, but also try changing the eq to boost the bass, or at least thats how my bassist learns songs in drop c...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If all else fails you can use software like Audacity to raise everything by an octave which will make it easier.