Hey guys,

I finally sold my Valveking and bought a new amp... and the chosen one was the Mini Rectifier. I can't stop being amazed by this beast... This is one incredible amp. The clean sounds are amazing and the high gain sounds are gorgeous. I've tested it on a Mesa 4x12 with Black Shadows and it was awesome. Incredible. I was amazed.

Mesa Boogie did it again.

But now, I have come to my senses and I realize that I need a CRUNCH type tone and start buiding a pedalboard for my new amp.

For cruch type overdrive (Marshall style) which one is the best pedal out there? Xotic BB Pre-amp?

Also, for all the Rectifier guys out there, I should get a Maxon OD-808 for "punching" my sound? I did that on my Valveking and it was a great improvement in my tone.

Thank you.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by heliosneto at Mar 12, 2012,
....u cant get crunch out of your recto?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Ok. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I need to have 3 types of tones when I'm playing around.

1) Clean
2) Crunch
3) Hi Gain

I can't have all three of them at the same time with the recto. If I need to record I could take my time and get the tone I want (especially with the EL34 that comes with the Minis), but when I'm playing a gig a really need all those tones.

Instead of buying another amp that have 3 channels, I decided to buy one that has two but can take a pedal for adding a "crunch tone".

And by the way, if you want crunch in the Mini you really have to tweak it a little. Is not that easy at all to have in the same EQ a good clean and a good crunch tone...
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Line 6 POD HD500
I guess you could use an EQ pedal or something, to lower the signal going into the dist. channel AND change the tone, or to boost the signal going into the clean channel.
Quote by heliosneto
Ok. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I need to have 3 types of tones when I'm playing around.

1) Clean
2) Crunch
3) Hi Gain

I can't have all three of them at the same time with the recto. If I need to record I could take my time and get the tone I want (especially with the EL34 that comes with the Minis), but when I'm playing a gig a really need all those tones.

Instead of buying another amp that have 3 channels, I decided to buy one that has two but can take a pedal for adding a "crunch tone".

And by the way, if you want crunch in the Mini you really have to tweak it a little. Is not that easy at all to have in the same EQ a good clean and a good crunch tone...

should have gone used and gotten a good price on a used 3 channel Triple/Dual Recto then if you needed three different tones IMO

but seeing as thats not an option, something like the BB preamp would work, or the OCD Fulltone i've heard is pretty damn good too

also the Mini recto runs EL84s not EL34s
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I like the MI Audio Crunch Box (this is probably the best of the three I'm about to recommend). I don't own it, but I've messed with it. It's great. Tonerider has a crunchy British-flavored pedal. Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion pedal might also be what you're looking for.

I think that's what you were asking?
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by shredftw
should have gone used and gotten a good price on a used 3 channel Triple/Dual Recto then if you needed three different tones IMO

also the Mini recto runs EL84s not EL34s

I was intending to get a Dual Rectifier but 100w is too much for me. The Mini hold it very nice for me, if I need any more volume I can just put my SM57 in front of the cab and mic it.

Instead of buying a 100w amp that I could not play with great power saturation at home (even the 50w mode is very loud) I decided to get a Mini so that I could play at home with 10w and in gigs with 25w.

Yea, my bad... EL84s, I mean. Even so it's way more crunchier than 6L6s.

Has anyone seen this pedal: http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/pinnacle.html

The Wampler Pinnacle seems like an amazing Overdrive for my needs.

Quote by rageahol
I guess you could use an EQ pedal or something, to lower the signal going into the dist. channel AND change the tone, or to boost the signal going into the clean channel.

Very nice option also. I will indeed consider it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Line 6 POD HD500
ur sig says u have an HD500......

use your HD500
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
You dont buy any Recto to derived head to get power tube distortion......

Fool.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
You dont buy any Recto to derived head to get power tube distortion......

Fool.

Man... you guys in this forum are such nice people... I can't believe I've wasted my time here.

I went to The Boogie Board and researched there.

There goes my findings:

The best pedal to boost Rectos is the Maxon OD808.

See this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc1c78S3Uyc&feature=related to understand what I mean by "boosting your rectifier".

Second, you can achieve Marshall type tones with Mesa Boogie just by using a 7-band equalizer and running it in front of the amp. If you need anything else (Plexi tones, for example) the best pedals would be:

Wampler Pinnacle
Catlinbread DLS
Lovepedal Purple Plexi
MI Crunch Box
Box of Rock
Radial Hot British and Plexi-Tube
Carl Martin Plexitone

I believe a forum is a place to learn and discuss not be rude with everyone and think everyone is a dumb ass by wanting a sound that you can't really get that easily with an amp.

Seriously, not every Mesa Boogie has to play only Modern Rock/Metal driven by PRS and ESP guitars.

Quote by EspTro
ur sig says u have an HD500......

use your HD500

I'm currently using the POD HD500 with the 4 cable method. It works very well indeed but I'll make in the future a pedalboard just for my amp and use the HD500 as another setup to play at church where we can't bring amps anymore.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by heliosneto at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by heliosneto
Second, you can achieve Marshall type tones with Mesa Boogie just by using a 7-band equalizer and running it in front of the amp.

i'm sorry what....

you must be taking some strange stuff dude, because i've played every Mesa in the entire line all the way back to the original Mark 1 Boogie and none of them at any point sound remotely like a Marshall in any way shape or form.

The Stiletto is the closest thing to a Marshall that Boogie make, but even that does not sound like a Marshall

And we were helping you, so there is no need to be sarcastic and disregard what we say. Both me and Tom have quite a lot of experience, and know what we're talking about. And when it comes to Recto's its fair to say I know my shit about them as I currently own 2.

What Tom said is right tho, its very strange that you would buy a Recto derived amp so you can get as much Pre amp distortion as possible when the series is born to thrive at higher playing levels. And even tho its quieter than a 100w i bet you right now that i'm not playing my 2 channel recto any louder than what you play your mini recto at and it'll sound just as good.

You sir i think got played by a bit of Mesa marketing. Just my personal opinion, take what you want from it which is probably nothing and you'll continue to just disregard everything we say but oh well

Quote by heliosneto
Seriously, not every Mesa Boogie has to play only Modern Rock/Metal driven by PRS and ESP guitars.

and yes, yes they do
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
you dont like the pushed cleans?
tone slut

jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Quote by heliosneto
Man... you guys in this forum are such nice people... I can't believe I've wasted my time here.

He was joking. Calm down.

But it's really true. You don't really buy an American voiced head built for high gain to do crunch.

That said, what I would do is set up the second channel for crunch. Then when you need high gain, hit it with the OD-808.

EDIT: Also, mids mids mids mids mids.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
On this I'm agree with OP, some people around here are very rude, having lots of experience doesn't mean you have to be that way...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich