I have this solid-wood acoustic guitar that I got signed. Can it be removed (it's sharpie) without damaging the guitar?

This is the same thread as my other one, but no one was helping.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I have this solid-wood acoustic guitar that I got signed. Can it be removed (it's sharpie) without damaging the guitar?

This is the same thread as my other one, but no one was helping.
Nobody is helping here either. The reason for that is simple. Both threads are superficial, pointless, and silly.

Why did you get the guitar signed in the first place?

Second, the Sharpie won't change the sound of the guitar in any way detectable by the human ear. I'd go so far as to say it would barely be detectable using sensitive microphones, an audio spectrum analyzer and/ or oscilloscope. Even then, you'd need a trace of the guitar before it was signed as a comparison.

If you just leave it the f*** alone, it'll wear off by itself in time, by virtue of being rubbed with cleaning cloths and guitar/ furniture polish in the normal course of caring for the instrument..... OK?

If you'd like some more bull s***, make believe help like that which people have been giving you, then forthwith, here it is. Since you've already determined that the guitar is hopelessly ruined by virtue of the signature, ( ) why not just throw it the f*** away and by a new one.

Now, are we done here?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 13, 2012,
I hate to break it to you kid but it's not because we're jerks that nobody was helping. You're just asking legitimately stupid questions.

No, a sharpie signature won't affect your guitars tone.
No, a sharpie signature won't mess up your intonation.
No, a sharpie signature does not affect your guitars performance whatsoever.
No, there's no guaranteed way to remove it without taking off some of the finish

I'm gonna jump the gun and shoot down some future questions

No, a sharpie signature doesn't affect the guitars action
No, a sharpie signature doesn't make barre chords easier
No, a sharpie signature doesn't mean you can post it on craigslist as a "rare, one of a kind collectors item"
No, a second thread will not change any of this. Neither will a third.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
I hate to break it to you kid but it's not because we're jerks that nobody was helping. You're just asking legitimately stupid questions.

No, there's no guaranteed way to remove it without taking off some of the finish

No, a sharpie signature doesn't mean you can post it on craigslist as a "rare, one of a kind collectors item"
You're just putting us on about all of this, aren't you......

That did it, I'm waiting for a seventeenth opinion......

Since we're already on thread 2, perhaps you should have worded that, "a third, fourth, or even a fifth thread won't change that"......

FINAL EDIT:

Given that, "hindsight is always 20/20", I 'm going to give the answer I should have at the beginning of this post! To wit: "Now you listen here Buster, I'm going to start threads until I get the answer I want to hear". So there....
I'm telling you, axe will take sharpie right off. No residue, no after effects, no trace that it was ever there. I done it on all sorts of things, guitars, table, walls, furniture, etc. Just don't spray it directly on the guitar, put it on a paper towel or cloth first.
Quote by Piglizard
Spray some cologne (axe, tag, etc) on a clothe, BAM, wipes right off.

Quote by Piglizard
I'm telling you, axe will take sharpie right off. No residue, no after effects, no trace that it was ever there. I done it on all sorts of things, guitars, table, walls, furniture, etc. Just don't spray it directly on the guitar, put it on a paper towel or cloth first.
Nobody's really doubting you. You have to assume it's the vehicle in the cologne, and not the cologne itself, that is the solvent. I suspect that the principle solvent in cologne actually is alcohol, so it makes a great deal of sense that it would take Sharpie right off.

Sharpies are basically delivered by a mostly alcohol , very quick drying, volatile solvent vehicle . While they may be "permanent" if you get them on a cotton T-Shirt, they certainly aren't on a modern poly finish.

It isn't worth all this effort, or all this hysteria about this topic.

Polyurethane is a durable finish, and the solvents in even a "permanent" marker, simply aren't that strong.

Furniture polish and "lemon oil", all have mineral oil and petroleum based vehicles that will eventually dissolve the marker ink.

Polyurethane CAN be damaged by solvents in the ketone realm, and other cleaning agents in the chloroflourocarbon family, and brake fluid takes off just about every finish known to man, save for possibly epoxy based paints. (Not sure about them).

There have been a number of internet myths, urban legends, and straight up bull shit stories about the dangers of solvent markers over the years. My personal favorite was how they were going to eat through your CDs or DVDs and render them unplayable.

Just let the solvent flash out of the marker before you close the jewel box lid, and you'll be good to go...., for decades....!
i had a sharpie eat the leg off my cat once... he's on his seventh life and the leg only comes back every other time he dies....odd. make sure you always have them capped tightly !
Quote by mike_oxbig

I didn't think you guys were being jerks. I get it, it won't affect my guitar, that was a stupid question. But I just want to remove the sharpie, that's the only question in this thread. I believe there's no finish on the guitar.
I would be very surprised if the guitar had no finish whatsoever on it. I'm sure it has something, without some sort of finish the wood would be much more susceptible to humidity changes and other elements. If for whatever reason you have a guitar that has no finish on it then the sharpie has probably bled into the wood and I don't think you would be able to remove it.
Quote by rocket monkey
I would be very surprised if the guitar had no finish whatsoever on it. I'm sure it has something, without some sort of finish the wood would be much more susceptible to humidity changes and other elements. If for whatever reason you have a guitar that has no finish on it then the sharpie has probably bled into the wood and I don't think you would be able to remove it.

Some guitars come "au natural", but your right about is bleeding into the wood, in which case a sand blaster, belt sander, or angle grinder would make quick work of it.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by rocket monkey

I believe it has no finish. It's not shiny and it feels like real wood. It's an old "jumbo" Larrivee, with crack on the side.

I swear by this stuff, just don't get it on plastic (ie, if it's got a pickguard, etc)
cranky's got a dremel tool that'll come in handy with the bleed-thru. he even watched the whole commercial so he can give you some tips on its use.