Hey everybody,
Well again im faced with a gear upgrade delima. Do I upgrade from my Mosvalve 962
poweramp and get a better TUBE poweramp? Or upgrade from my Line6 pod xt live "preamp"
to a TUBE preamp? Now I get a good sound now but I want something with more balls!
Should I go with the poweramp change or the preamp change?
My signal path now is guitar>POD>bbe maximizer>Mosvalve>4x12 cab
get a better pre amp
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
so go with the preamp first huh? I mean eventualy i want the rack to be ALL tube. I mean i LIKE the Mosvalve but i was thinking of makin it shine more by introducing either an ADA MP1 or an ENGL e530 to it. I know i can mod the ADA, is the ENGL pretty hot right outa the box? More "modern" sounding? Dont have enough money for an expensive tube preamp yet(ie-the triaxis) but something better than the Rocktron Gainiac 2 i tried for a bit. WOW that was bad! Lol
^New preamp will be a bit of a side grade unless you hook something really really good like an E530 or something, since the X3 is already a very nice unit. Try a tube poweramp, tube coloration usually warms up the sound from personal experience. If youre not satisfied with the core tones of your X3, then a pre would be the way to go.
Sounds like trial and error huh? But i guess ya gotta start with a good base first. Know of any good tube poweramps that wont break the bank? Lol Some where in the $300 to $500 range? I have the POD XT LIVE not the X3 by the way.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=PSA-1.1/1388.0.49324.0.0.0.0

EDIT: sorry didnt realize this preamp isnt tube. still sounds pretty awesome imo tho check it out. the album "Victims of the Modern Age" by Star One was recorded with it.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Mar 13, 2012,
Yea the PSA1 always had a good sound for being all analog.
Heres the preamps im kinda stuck between: ADA MP-1, ENGL e530, Marshall 9001, Rocktron voodu valve. Any opinions?
Again, not looking to break the bank but at least want something with some low-end balls!
Something for the metal covers we do in the band: metallica, megadeth, killswitch engage, etc. Just some good ol make your ears bleed crushing riffs tone! \m/
i have experience with the mp1, and if you want that old school metallica ish type tone, it is perfect.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
well i just scored a Peavey Rockmaster on evilbay for $200! Had to get the dangity footswitch separate but managed to get that for 20 bucks! Gonna give it a shot.
Im just gonna use the POD for fx and maybe more EQ. So the Rockmaster would be powered by the Mosvalve 962.
Ive BEEN using the "criminal"(peavey 5150) or the "treadplate" (dual rectifier) amp
models on the POD anyways. But it just doesnt have that good ol tube sound!
Which now that im thinkin bout it i really like this "rack" idea. Ive been playing for almost 30 years now and never had one. I always liked the idea but was more of a stompbox/amp head and cab kinda guy. Ive always been a fan of The Edge tho and always wanted to try a rack system.
Now i know the Edge uses his AC 30's as his main sound but ya gotta love that rack monstrosity he has! Lol
So heres my next question for some advice on this new venture(or should i just start a new thread?) what is some essential rack gear? I mean besides a good pre amp and a good power amp. Graphic EQ's? Power conditioners? I play ALL kinds of music and i love tweaking knobs! Haha
Just keep this thread and edit the original post.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Ok TOTAL noob question here. How do i edit the thread title? I went to control panel, saw alot of edit options but nothing that said edit thread.
see the Edit button at the bottom of your post? use that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by guitarboy33
Ok TOTAL noob question here. How do i edit the thread title? I went to control panel, saw alot of edit options but nothing that said edit thread.

You cannot edit the thread title. You can edit individual posts, but not titles.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd suggest talking to AcousticMirror about getting an amp built in a rack chassis.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Im guessing a good rack case is a good idea too? Lol
And i wouldnt go cheap on THAT either! ;^)