Okay, here is a raw track (no processing) with two identical riffs - one played with a Dual Rec and the other with a Fireball.

Tell me which one you think is better, and rate the tones. If you prefer one over the other, please let me know why

Thanks in advance!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13321068/demo.mp3
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I like the second one better, whichever that is haha. Hard to rate tone for me though, as it's all preference really. I preferred the second just because it sounded that little bit more tight and evil. Had a certain amount of aggression the other just didn't have.
Im going for a djenty/progressive death metal kind of tone, but with a strong melodeath influence. Some tones I really like include Trivium (Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis and In Waves), and bands like Periphery, Meshuggah, All That Remain, etc.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
incorrect. Second is the Dual Rec, First is the Fireball.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
No, I never put my gain past 50% except for lead tones. For a tight tone you wanna keep the gain low. Ill have to redo this recording, Ive been tweaking the Fireball and it sounds a lot better now. Now it's more tight and beefy. The signal flow goes like this - Noise Gate -> Tube Screamer (50% bass, 60% tone, 50% treble, 0% Gain, 100% Output) -> Fireball (Gain 35%, Bass 75%, Mids 75%, Treble 70% and Presence 70%)
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
If you're going for djent, I'd definitely say the second one then, with a noise suppressor of course. Though I know Trivium use Peavey and Periphery don't even use amps, they use those Axe-FX things.
Trivium actually uses Axe Fx's too now lol.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Trivium actually uses Axe Fx's too now lol.

Oh, didn't know they'd made the jump. I assume it has only been since In Waves? What noise gate do you use btw? I'm in the market for one at the moment (learning some songs from In Waves funnily enough). I'll be waiting for that new sound clip too, as I'm looking at those two amps myself, also looking at the Diamond Nitrox, but it's hard to get info on.
Quote by Lovecannon
incorrect. Second is the Dual Rec, First is the Fireball.

interesting, that's the opposite from what i'd have thought

not sure which i preferred more. i liked the second one better at the start, but then when the palm-muted stuff started i didn't like it as much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
rec. im partial to them. its a clear decision. when i think rectifier i think enter sandman. i love that heavy bone crushing tone opposed to a higher pitches, higher attack type tone
dual rec (I own a dual rec roadster that I picked over an Engl). I found the engl to be a little to brittle on the top end- it was hard to make it clear and not overly bassy without having too crispy (fizzy, almost like excessive presence) a top end. I also find the mesa can sound heavier without the bass getting too flabby (they can both get flabby on the bottom end if you really dial them up, but the mesa seemed to address this more ably).

your cab and speaker choice will also make a huge difference. I personally hate a dual rec through a dual rec cab, its way too boomy and flabby for me. I prefer a marshall style cab (I use a traynor with 3 G12's and 1 V30- I mike the V30 but the G12's keep the cab from sounding too bass heavy) with the Dual rec, but I found myself liking the engl better with a dual rec cab as it seemed to help the bottom end feel more open.
Liked the Dual Rec more, however, the recording is pretty poor TBH.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Tbh, the recording on both sucks. I can't judge, but based on this if you are gonna do the setting like this i'd tell you go get a modelling amp till you know how to record something better. That was one of the worst Mesa Boogie sounds i've ever heard in my life.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Both sounded muddy to be honest and not really much different from eachother.