I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I just wanted a little feedback on my rig and if its gig-ready or not.

Kustom "The Defender" 5H All-Tube 5-watt head
CRATE 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tube Screamer
BOSS DS1 distortion pedal
Epiphone SG G-400/ Various Strat Copies

I'm playing with a crazy loud drummer, mostly in small venues, competing with a Line 6 Spider IV across the stage. I know that some shows will be mic'd, but will I be alright if I run across a place where the amps aren't mic'd?
Wrong Forum.

But no you will NOT be fine unmiced. You need at least a 20w tube amp to compete with a decent drummer. 15w if it's a smaller venue.

Miced, you'll be fine. Just invest into your own PA system or upgrade amps (I would upgrade your amp).
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by ninjaraptorbaby
will I be alright if I run across a place where the amps aren't mic'd?

No.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I think you need a couple more pedals before you start showing your stuff around.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
I think you need a couple more pedals before you start showing your stuff around.

not really....pedals are overrated...ppl who get really concered with making kool sounds with them usuly arent very good at acully playing lol...
Quote by Xter
Wrong Forum.

But no you will NOT be fine unmiced. You need at least a 20w tube amp to compete with a decent drummer. 15w if it's a smaller venue.

Miced, you'll be fine. Just invest into your own PA system or upgrade amps (I would upgrade your amp).

Codify for us, if you would, the actual volume difference between 15w and 20w?

I'll wait....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by King Of Suede

If you are not ready to show your stuff around without a wall of gadgets to hide behind then you are not ready to show your stuff around at all. A good guitarist can make great music without any pedals at all. At that point you should add effects only to enhance or tweak the sounds you have come up with.

That being said, pedals are a lot of fun to play with. Especially delays.

As for the original question, as most of you have already said, 5 watts probably won't cut it.

15W and 20W are not significantly different and either should hold up just fine without a mic.
I've upgraded only because I wanted to try out a tube amp. I've been using a Crate G600 head. Without drawing in things that I SHOULD have, were I rich and could get what I want, help me out with working with what I have here, please lol. I'm not "showing my stuff around", I'm just playing some music around my area with some friends of mine. With the Kustom, I'd be fine mic'd, but what do I do about practice situations? I can't mic myself at every practice. Any advice there?
Quote by Arby911
Codify for us, if you would, the actual volume difference between 15w and 20w?

I'll wait....

How about you explain the difference? O wait you can't.

If you think I'm talking Volume, you're retarded.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If it's not loud enough for practicing, then the only things you can really do are: upgrade to a higher wattage, purchase a PA system and mic your amp, or politely ask your drummer to turn down the volume.
Quote by ninjaraptorbaby
I've upgraded only because I wanted to try out a tube amp. I've been using a Crate G600 head. Without drawing in things that I SHOULD have, were I rich and could get what I want, help me out with working with what I have here, please lol. I'm not "showing my stuff around", I'm just playing some music around my area with some friends of mine. With the Kustom, I'd be fine mic'd, but what do I do about practice situations? I can't mic myself at every practice. Any advice there?

I use a 5 watt blackstar HT-5 for practise it is loud enough to hear over the drummer I would credit that to the fact that we practise in a small low ceilinged attic, if you have a practise space similar to this your set up would do fine I imagine.

Particularly as my 5 valve power watts are moving a single 12 inch speaker and yours will be moving a whole cab. Although that may not work in practise.

Don't spend 500 dollars on an new head unless you know you need it or know your current equipment won't do, you'll kick yourself if you end up either not in a band that gigs or never playing venues that don't have capacity to mic your 5 watts up! You'll feel like an idiot.

I aslo wouldn't recommend buying an amp on finance.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by ninjaraptorbaby
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JET-JCA20H-LIST

Would you suggest getting somethign similar to this? Or can you guys point me towards something in the 300-500 dollar range that I can save up for?

This is out of your price range, but it's probably the best amp for the money:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EGNREN65HD

The cool thing with this site though is that you can just pay 25% down which is like $220 bucks...then pay in $220 chunks over a few months.

If that's unrealistic for you there are other egnaters...like the rebel & tweaker. And you already have a cab...so that's good. I honestly think with 15-20 tube watts you wouldn't have any problem matching a drummer. If it was solid state, then ya...probably.
What are your guys's opinions on the Peavy Windsor? I'll be playing shows at least the size of community centers, bars, hard rock cafe, etc. I'm not going to finance one, i'm going to try to find one used in my area. But what are your thoughts on it? I'm looking for a sound similar to a marshall circa Angus Young, Jimmy Page, etc. I'm not going to buy a marshall though lol. Tell me your thoughts. And thanks for such quick replies, too!
Quote by Xter
How about you explain the difference? O wait you can't.

If you think I'm talking Volume, you're retarded.

Actually yes, I can.

There is NO significant difference between a 15w and a 20w amp.

None.

Your claim is absolute rubbish, as was your (non)response.

Have a nice day.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Actually yes, I can.

There is NO significant difference between a 15w and a 20w amp.

None.

Your claim is absolute rubbish, as was your (non)response.

Have a nice day.

COngrats! The difference between a 20w and 100w is 3db. Sure is a lot.

My claim was not rubbish. If you are playing smaller venue, you might choose the 15w for the smaller headroom. Are you educated at all about your amps?
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you need cheap and cheerful the Bugera heads are not bad for the small amount you pay for them. They can be made better with a tube replacement and apparently the reliability has shot up since the early days.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You shouldn't have any trouble finding a used low watt (15-20W) tube amp for under $500. Just doing a quick ebay search I found the Orange Tiny Terror in that price range.
Quote by Xter
COngrats! The difference between a 20w and 100w is 3db. Sure is a lot.

My claim was not rubbish. If you are playing smaller venue, you might choose the 15w for the smaller headroom. Are you educated at all about your amps?

You're still full of crap, 'headroom' is primarily (or damn near exclusively) a function of preamp, not power section output in every small wattage amp I've used and/or seen the schematics for, and I've played/seen quite a few of them. Further if it's your contention that there's any significant headroom differential between two amps of equivalent design, excepting only an extra 5 watts of output power from one of them, you're delusional.

Also, the difference between 20w and 100w is NOT 3db, you double the power for a 3db change, the difference from 20w to 100w is a touch under 7db...

You are desperately seeking some justification for saying something stupid.

Newsflash! There isn't one.

Man up, admit it and move on. Happens to all of us at one time or another, me included.

As for your question, It's pretty clear that one of us isn't as amp savvy as they think they are, and I'm content to let the readers decide which is which...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 13, 2012,