I got 2x12 Budda cabs now to run on each side of the stage. I was wondering if there would be any tone, volume or longevity differences between running the two 8 ohm cabs in series into my head and set it for 16 ohms, or in parallel into two jacks on my head and setting it for a total load of 4 ohms.

Thanks!
Last edited by drewfromutah at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by drewfromutah
I got 2x12 Budda cabs now to run on each side of the stage. I was wondering if there would be any tone, volume or longevity differences between running the two 8 ohm cabs in series into my head and set it for 16 ohms, or in parallel into two jacks on my head and setting it for a total load of 4 ohms.

Thanks!

the differences wouldn't be too huge, they would fall more in the subtle range.

you should get a bit more low end using a 4 ohm setup (from charts i have seen, higher impedance speaker setups roll off more low end and high end). a lower impedance setup should be a bit more efficient, this should make it louder sounding. i have also heard, higher impedance speaker cabs make the head work less hard as well, allowing the amp to run cooler.

from what i can also tell, solid state amps will be more responsive to different impedance speaker cabs (their power output should increase with a smaller impedance cabinet). from what i can tell with tube amps, the output transformer plays a bigger roll in the tone differences between cabinets. this meansthat you're going to get more tonal difference from using different windings in the output transformer you'll notice purely cuz you changed the impedance of the cab.

i'd say experiment and see if you notice a difference, cuz these changes aren't so drastic you may not even notice a difference. but don't worry about any 'long term effects' from running different cabs, there is no strictly better way to do it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae