So I'm not really the biggest Metallica fan, but I try to get into them since they're apparently the pinnacle of modern metal. The thing is though, when I hear Kirk play, especially live I just can't help but cringe. I try to be generous but his technique is just.. well it's bad.

To me, when I hear him play it sounds like a kid on youtube attempting a Metallica solo, vs a proffesional musician playing a solo. I'm just curious how guys like this get the acclaim that they do. Some even go so far as to say that he's one of the best. It really gives mediocre players like me hope that maybe I'll be just as famous one day.
Technique isnt everything.
And besides, one of the main differences between Kirk and some kid on youtube is that even though the kid might play a ton better than Kirk, in the end Kirk is still the one who wrote the thing.
Plus when youre talking about somebody being famous, just think of people like Kim Kardashian or the cast of Jersey Shore.
Quote by Kensai
Don't dig up the past, TS. You're not gonna like what you find.
It's not skill-related much. He just happened to be the guitarist for a popular band. At which point, you could also specify that Lars isn't particularly a professional at drums and James can't sing live at all.
They're the pioneers of what they do, but these days there are so many bands out there better than them who are unrecognized it's a joke. It's about who got there first.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Well I don't mean just his technique(even though it sounds like he doesn't even know how to properly fret a note) there are plenty of guys with bad technique who sound good, and plenty with good technique who sound bad, but he just sounds genuinly bad all around.

Honestly what he reminds me of is a kid in guitar center, first day with a guitar in his hands with the amp at 11. What I'm trying to understand is how anyone finds him pleasurable enough to listen to for him to get that fame. He's not even in tune half the time he plays live. If I didn't know better I'd say he was doing it on purpose to really make his playing stand out. I'd actually have to believe he understands the concept of "in tune" before I could believe that though.
The fact is while Kirk but not be the most innovative guitar player, he still can slay when he wants to. People just watch recent Youtube videos and say "he abuses the wah, he is sloppy blah, blah, blah" but watch him in his prime and he was actually pretty entertaining. He did a sick solo in you Binge and Purge collection and you have to remember, just because playing pentanoic scales and fast riffs in E is cliche now, these guys were the first to do it. Thats like calling Jimmy page an asshole because he used the blues scale to much. You have to remember these guys came first. I dont like Metallica nearly as much as I did in high school, and their recent stuff doesn't really do it for me, but I would never be ignorant enough to call Kirk a "bad" guitar player.
Can't compare Metallica to modern bands and expect to appreciate them for what they are. Compared to what was going on at the time Metallica was truly groundbreaking. Go back and listed to what the other thrash bands were doing at the time. Not saying that the other bands weren't great, (and eventually even surpassed them), but Metallica was always a few years ahead of the heard in terms of style.

And if they started today they wouldn't be famous? Hypotheticals are kind of pointless, but maybe if they were 17 in 2012 don't you think they would have vastly different influences? They'd likely sound different and be just as innovative.

Oh yeah, Hammet? Well if he stayed in Exodus he wouldn't have amounted to much but you'd probably see people posting threads about how great he is.
Quote by shredder3386
The fact is while Kirk but not be the most innovative guitar player, he still can slay when he wants to. People just watch recent Youtube videos and say "he abuses the wah, he is sloppy blah, blah, blah" but watch him in his prime and he was actually pretty entertaining. He did a sick solo in you Binge and Purge collection and you have to remember, just because playing pentanoic scales and fast riffs in E is cliche now, these guys were the first to do it. Thats like calling Jimmy page an asshole because he used the blues scale to much. You have to remember these guys came first. I dont like Metallica nearly as much as I did in high school, and their recent stuff doesn't really do it for me, but I would never be ignorant enough to call Kirk a "bad" guitar player.

That has nothing at all to do with it. Pentatonic solos are my favorite kind, and admitiidely Kirk does sound a lot better on studio recorded stuff but that's not enough to warrant him the fame he has. If anything all it does is show they had a brilliant producer.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Go back and listed to what the other thrash bands were doing at the time. Not saying that the other bands weren't great, (and eventually even surpassed them), but Metallica was always a few years ahead of the heard in terms of style.

By that I mean until they stopped doing metal.
I'm not a Metallica fan in the slightest, but the music scene they entered was a lot different from today. They were pioneers, I'll give them that. Even though I would never listen to their music, they were hugely influential at their time.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I think he was just in the right place at the right time writing music that may not be of the best quality musically or technically but it satisfied what the audience wanted at the time and a lot of who still do. So he just got the job done, very well I might add, and got famous, simple as that.
Quote by risk182
what the audience wanted at the time and a lot of who still do.

Could you explain what that is? That's exactly what I came here looking for.
Kirk is a great shredder, but the main reason for him to be famous is that he and Metallica started thrash and they're one of the most influancal bands of all time. Just like Black Sabbath, they also started something new and different! Kirk is famous and it's a reason for it too, hope you understand what I'm saying!
Quote by Metal-pro
Kirk is a great shredder

You lost me here...

but the main reason for him to be famous is that he and Metallica started thrash and they're one of the most influancal bands of all time. Just like Black Sabbath, they also started something new and different! Kirk is famous and it's a reason for it too, hope you understand what I'm saying!

But the difference here is, Tony Iommie could actually play and sounded good. Ivhenting a turd isn't a something that gets you famous, there must be something I'm missing.
Quote by jimicrackcorn
You lost me here...

But the difference here is, Tony Iommie could actually play and sounded good. Ivhenting a turd isn't a something that gets you famous, there must be something I'm missing.
Ok, great shredder was too much compared to the absolute best shredders like Petrucci etc..

But dude, even if Kirk is overrated, he is one of the Thrash metal fathers, remember that

He is also one of the reasons I started playing the guitar, and that is also something to think about
You're being a bit of a twat jimicrackcorn. Every level headed person in here is giving you non-biased and decent opinions, yet all you do in response is compare one of THE pioneers of not only Thrash, but Heavy Metal in general to a 10 year old at GC with a Crate turned up to 10. Grow up.

BTW, the Fade to Black solo is, was, and always will be ****ing Epic.
If i had a choice to die to ANY 2 songs, it'd be Freebird and/or Fade to Black.
Quote by bdof
You're being a bit of a twat jimicrackcorn. Every level headed person in here is giving you non-biased and decent opinions, yet all you do in response is compare one of THE pioneers of not only Thrash, but Heavy Metal in general

I'm not the one who made that comparison. I was simply replying to someone who did.

to a 10 year old at GC with a Crate turned up to 10. Grow up.

Have you ever heard him live? Again, his solos are nice in studio, but on stage is where a guitarists true potential(or lack of it in Kirks situation) is shown.

BTW, the Fade to Black solo is, was, and always will be ****ing Epic.
If i had a choice to die to ANY 2 songs, it'd be Freebird and/or Fade to Black.

Again, I'm sure you mean a studio recording, at least I hope so.

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but no ones shown me anything to change my mind about his skill as a guitarist. I can give him the benefit of the doubt though, maybe the shows I've seen he was just really drunk(that seems to be the common excuse among the hammetiers)

So with that in mind, I humbly invite you to prove me wrong and show me a decent live performance from him that shows off this brilliant skill of his. I'm honestly hoping for someone to do this because I really want to like him and see what everyone else does. That's why I made this thread.
Quote by jimicrackcorn
I'm not the one who made that comparison. I was simply replying to someone who did.

Have you ever heard him live? Again, his solos are nice in studio, but on stage is where a guitarists true potential(or lack of it in Kirks situation) is shown.

Again, I'm sure you mean a studio recording, at least I hope so.

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but no ones shown me anything to change my mind about his skill as a guitarist. I can give him the benefit of the doubt though, maybe the shows I've seen he was just really drunk(that seems to be the common excuse among the hammetiers)

So with that in mind, I humbly invite you to prove me wrong and show me a decent live performance from him that shows off this brilliant skill of his. I'm honestly hoping for someone to do this because I really want to like him and see what everyone else does. That's why I made this thread.

Well if you hate him I cant change your mind but I present exhibit A..."One" in HD 1080 quality...he did a pretty solid job during this performance, and you have to remember Lars is notorious for having terrible tempo so playing a note or two out of time might not be his fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Favl3kzWejA&feature=fvwrel
Like James' singing, Kirk's live playing skills have gone down for sure i've noticed. A lot of his solos just sound like him wanking off up and down scales at a high speed without a ton of creativity.

HOWEVER, i'm a huge Metallica fan, and up to the Black Album or even Load the guy could play like a badass. You listen to live recordings from the Justice or Black Album tours and the guy was tight as hell and could rake like a maniac on the guitar. He has made many amazing contributions to Metallica songs, including many classic riffs that are certainly creative and badass. Even on Death Magnetic a bunch of his stuff is fantastic.

It's just too bad he's become pretty sloppy and uninspired live.
i saw them live last summer, they played all the old great songs. sounded great!
havent heard their latest albums, but beeing a famous guitarplayer doesnt mean youre malmsteen, you can be a great player doing heavy riffs and simple solos IMO.
brian may wrote great songs, you dont hear him playing 10minutes clean advanced solos, hes still a great and famous guitarplayer