Page 1 of 2
Hey all. In our band our vocalist does not chip in on gear. They never have. We buy all of our own gear. The bass player bought the PA,all the mic stands, music stands, vocal effects, everything, in addition to his bass gear. The vocalist has not even provided a microphone. She broke the mic clip off of her stand the other day and didn’t offer to replace it. I tend to think she would get offended if we asked her to replace the mic clip or the music stand she broke the week before. At one time we even bought her some stage clothes so she would best represent the band and were considering buying more clothes. I know that not everyone can afford to chip in but she has a full time job and money to go to out to restaurants, buy concert tickets and new purses and other things. At one point I asked her how much money she planned to invest in her gear/band this year and her answer was less than $100 which I know means $0. My question is how does your band divide up financial responsibilities and am I wrong to think she should be buying more?
Quote by doomded
She sounds like a spoiled bitch. Tell her that the bass player is selling his shit (that he paid for) because he needs the money (doesn't matter if he actually does, just get him to take it home and leave it there) and that she needs to get her own or she's out.
Do that.

If she's putting higher priority on purses than a band, do you really think it's that important to her?
Quote by jetfuel495
Do that.

If she's putting higher priority on purses than a band, do you really think it's that important to her?

Thanks guys. She loves her band. I think she thinks that if everyone else will spend the money why should she?
Quote by punkforlife93
The fact that you have "stage clothes" makes me positive that your band will be bad with or without her, she's sounds awful but...seriously?

She does this sort of Amy Lee look thing. It works for her.
Ehh, not a band I'd be interested in. Why don't you guys...idk...stop buying shit for her?
Quote by blake1221
Ehh, not a band I'd be interested in. Why don't you guys...idk...stop buying shit for her?

We want the band to sound good. We aren't really buying things for her, she gets all the use but it's for the band.
Quote by Morgothik
We want the band to sound good. We aren't really buying things for her, she gets all the use but it's for the band.

Little to do with clothing.
You either stop buying stuff for her and tell her to buy it herself or keep on the path you're on now. It's up to you. Dunno why you'd post this if you don't want to stop buying the stuff for her since it's for the band. For the band? For the band?
Quote by Aralingh
Little to do with clothing.

The big issue is PA equipment. Don't most vocalist provide their own mic/mics? There are a lot of expensive components in a good PA setup. Components often need replaced or new things get added.
Quote by punkforlife93
You either stop buying stuff for her and tell her to buy it herself or keep on the path you're on now. It's up to you. Dunno why you'd post this if you don't want to stop buying the stuff for her since it's for the band. For the band? For the band?

I was really curious as to what other bands do? Do you guys have band mates who just show up, perform and go home and never pay for anything?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You should be getting blowjobs.

Quote by willT08
Gang rape her.

These are not appropriate. If they're supposed to be jokes, they're not funny.

The real solution is to sit down and talk to her and communicate your expectations. Explain to her how much everyone else is investing, and that while you're not asking her to cover the cost of other people's gear, she needs to be willing to contribute to cover her own expenses. Make it clear that you're not asking her to do anything that anyone else isn't doing (eg pay for the gear she needs and a share of the band's total expenses) and ask her if she's willing to do that.

And if she says no, then either accept that you guys are subsidizing her or kick her out.
Unless you're an acoustic band, the vocalist should supply the microphone. PA system is band property.
Quote by HotspurJr
These are not appropriate. If they're supposed to be jokes, they're not funny.

The real solution is to sit down and talk to her and communicate your expectations. Explain to her how much everyone else is investing, and that while you're not asking her to cover the cost of other people's gear, she needs to be willing to contribute to cover her own expenses. Make it clear that you're not asking her to do anything that anyone else isn't doing (eg pay for the gear she needs and a share of the band's total expenses) and ask her if she's willing to do that.

And if she says no, then either accept that you guys are subsidizing her or kick her out.

Thanks. I suppose it needs to happen. I know it will be a big drama though so I wanted to make sure we weren't crazy in thinking she should help out a little.
Quote by Morgothik
I was really curious as to what other bands do? Do you guys have band mates who just show up, perform and go home and never pay for anything?

No, we have responsible members that carry their own weight. If you let them form a habit of dependency, you're only making it harder on yourself when you abruptly want it to stop.
As far as instruments go, everyone brings their own gear. For vocals, our bassist already had a PA so we just use that, there were shitty microphones were laying around my house, so we use those for practice. Mic stands and clips I purchased even though I don't sing for the band, but with the understanding that if I ever leave, I take them back.

If we get to the point where our vocalist needs to buy her own equipment, it will be on her to do so.
I'm 42..... I'm assuming you guys are much younger...

Using that assumption all I can say is...

Behold- The Future

Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
I'm 42..... I'm assuming you guys are much younger...

Using that assumption all I can say is...

Behold- The Future

Uh, huh, huh... Dude... you're, like, old or something. **in best Butthead voice**

Are you trying to say chicks are gonna cost ya money?

BTW, I am also an old dude.

TS: Don't buy any more gear. Let her sing through a $10 mic duct-taped to an upright vacuum cleaner handle. If she wants better gear, she buys it. She might get tired of being the weakest link.

In a previous band I would joke that since I own all the PA gear, they better not act like dicks or I'd "take my ball and go home". Fortunately, my band is all 30+ and financial contribution is a matter of personal pride with all of us.

Maybe it works out better for you guys: Since she is minimally invested in the group, then it'd be easier to boot her. At the very least it seems that her lack of contribution would diminish her influence in band decisions.

Young women, especially attractive ones, are easily spoiled and sometimes get a "ride for free" attitude. Sounds like the singer may be acting her age (?).
Quote by doomded
She sounds like a spoiled bitch. Tell her that the bass player is selling his shit (that he paid for) because he needs the money (doesn't matter if he actually does, just get him to take it home and leave it there) and that she needs to get her own or she's out.

I applaud this idea.
Vocalists are expendable resources, heck, EVERY 16 YEAR OLD WITH AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR AND A INDIE SUBCULTURE CAN SING!!!!
METAL!
First things first, get some communication going with her. Sit her down and ask how serious her committment is to your band, if she says that she is fully committed point out that this involves finiancial investment into the band. This means buying her own equipment such as a decent vocal mic, mic stand and clips, and replacing anything that she personally damages (even if say it's equipment that she doesnt use, a bass amp, but due to her actions damaged). If she then says she isn't prepared for this kind of committment thank her for her time in the band but say you guys need to find someone who is willing to put in the same level of committment as the rest of you. Always end it if you have to on good terms, you never know what the future holds
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Quote by Mithaearon
First things first, get some communication going with her. Sit her down and ask how serious her committment is to your band, if she says that she is fully committed point out that this involves finiancial investment into the band. This means buying her own equipment such as a decent vocal mic, mic stand and clips, and replacing anything that she personally damages (even if say it's equipment that she doesnt use, a bass amp, but due to her actions damaged). If she then says she isn't prepared for this kind of committment thank her for her time in the band but say you guys need to find someone who is willing to put in the same level of committment as the rest of you. Always end it if you have to on good terms, you never know what the future holds

Great comments! I think that's really what we need to do.
I think buying a PA system is too much to ask of any one person, considering they are more of a luxury than a necessity. Consider rehearsing at a space that provides one. For gigs, most venues will provide a PA. I have been in very few bands that have actually owned a PA.

As a business model, it should be expected that everyone contributes and maintains their own gear. Guitarists buy guitars and amps. Singers should provide their own mic, stand, cable, and any processing required or desired.

A PA could be a shared asset. Purchase it with band money from gigs, perhaps, though with the understanding that it belongs to the band. Have a plan for what happens if the band breaks up, or if someone leaves the band, etc. With no plan, the default assumption is that, if 1/5 of the band quits or is fired, then that person is entitled to an amount representing 1/5 of the band's assets. Will you buy that person out, or just let them take one of the mains and a couple of mic cables?

If everyone contributes to the purchase of a PA, same thing. If she contributes nothing to that, then you could have an agreement that she is entitled to a pro-rated portion of the PA system that the band purchased, which is 0%, meaning when she leaves, she gets her 0% back.

Whether she stays or goes, a PA system could be a valuable asset to the band.

In any case, she should at least make the commitment to buy her own mic, stand, cable, and effects processing.

She should also contribute equally to other expenses incurred as a band, unless those are paid for out of the band account.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

In any case, she should at least make the commitment to buy her own mic, stand, cable, and effects processing.

She should also contribute equally to other expenses incurred as a band, unless those are paid for out of the band account.

I agree that she has to buy her own mic/stand/cable etc, but some singers/people could simply not care less about it.

In some bands the person who owns the PA gets a double share (that is, the PA counts as a member of the band when dividing the money). I like this arrangement as a PA really does benefit the entire band, and also PAs are super handy, you use them in all bands/events/practice/things.

But otherwise I don't see why the singer "should" chip in for things, she's not forcing you to buy equipment, you're doing that yourself.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
simple - when you require something, YOU buy it.

guitarists get guitars and amps, bassists get their own basses etc.

she can freakin buy her own mic and stand.

tell her if she doesnt, unless she supplies her gear, she's out.

on the PA, your bassist seems rich, but any things he purchase for himself or band use are his own costs. as many venues provide a PA, it isnt necessary for practice in the way an amplifier is.
Totally agree about what's been said about the PA.

I, in my band, did infact buy our PA but everyone understands that it is mine and that if they leave they are not entitled to a share of it. I actually brought the PA before the band was formed. But if your band decides they need one then go with the advice that has been given above.

The PA has really benifitted our band as not many places we play have their own PA, there are only two I can think of right now that do, The Beacon Court and the Tap N Tin. Most bars/venues round here don't, but then again we live in the Arse end of Britian. Having one means we can play anywhere with no problems and rehearse anywhere, (currently in my house in a purpose made room (of course not all bands will have this luxury).
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
I have thousands of dollars worth of guitars, amps, PA, speakers, mics, effects, and various other music gear. If I were in a band at the moment, I would fully expect the singer to at least cover a $100 mic, a $25 stand, $10 XLR cable, and whatever electronic wizardry required to make them sound good. I don't think asking the singer to drop maybe $300 on gear that only they will use is too much to ask considering how much money the other members have invested in gear.

But I'm in my mid 30's, and am very unlikely to be in a band with anyone much younger than me. Being in an "older" band, full of other people with good jobs means that this kind of stuff is almost nonexistant. And it would likely not be tolerated unless the singer was AMAZING. Also, owning almost all of the bands' gear means that I'm much harder to replace . You really gonna kick me out if it means you lose your practice spot, the PA, and all the recording gear? Probly not.

So cut her off. Tell her she has to buy AT BARE MINIMUM a mic, mic stand, and two clips. One to use, the other to replace the one she broke. I borrowed a stand from a friend once and broke the clip, and it was replaced the next day. It's just common courtesy, especially when the clips are so cheap.

It really sounds to me like she's either not that into the band, and is only doing it because it's fun and costs her nothing... Or she just takes the free ride because you guys have so far been willing to provide her one.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
To be honest, yeah, she should be chipping in more. Infact, considering that the whole band uses a PA, then the whole band should, by rights be chipping in equal amounts for it.

But, sometimes, exeptions can be made.

How good a singer is she? Is she OK, pretty good or exeptionaly good? How good of an on stage performer is she? Is she OK, pretty good or exeptionaly good?

The point I'm making is... well, obviously you want some sort of success in this band and would like to earn money from it, yes? So it obviously makes sense to consider how instrumental she's likely to be to your success before rocking the boat.

While an OK or pretty good singer isn't necessarily an invaluable member of a band, an exeptional singer and performer can often be the focal point and the thing that sells a band. So it may be worth putting up with certain niggles if it's all good for your future careers.
Quote by axemanchris
I think buying a PA system is too much to ask of any one person, considering they are more of a luxury than a necessity. Consider rehearsing at a space that provides one. For gigs, most venues will provide a PA. I have been in very few bands that have actually owned a PA.

As a business model, it should be expected that everyone contributes and maintains their own gear. Guitarists buy guitars and amps. Singers should provide their own mic, stand, cable, and any processing required or desired.

A PA could be a shared asset. Purchase it with band money from gigs, perhaps, though with the understanding that it belongs to the band. Have a plan for what happens if the band breaks up, or if someone leaves the band, etc. With no plan, the default assumption is that, if 1/5 of the band quits or is fired, then that person is entitled to an amount representing 1/5 of the band's assets. Will you buy that person out, or just let them take one of the mains and a couple of mic cables?

If everyone contributes to the purchase of a PA, same thing. If she contributes nothing to that, then you could have an agreement that she is entitled to a pro-rated portion of the PA system that the band purchased, which is 0%, meaning when she leaves, she gets her 0% back.

CT

Yeah, same here. I've never owned a PA or been in one that has. All decent rehearsal rooms/gigs have at least a basic setup. Some will have outstanding gear I used to rehearse at a place that had tube preamps and rack mount effects, so look around your area as they do exist.

What I'm trying to say is sell the PA, make her buy a mic and rehearse at a center. All problems solved without a drama fest.
A lot of the "PA vs no PA" is very dependant where you live. If you're in a major metro area, there are probably places you can rent for practice that have a PA. If not, then you really need a PA for practice sessions. I've never heard of a place that rents out rehearsal space, but I haven't lived in Chicago long. There are surely some here, but prior to moving here I had never even known such a business existed

I like having the PA, it gives you a lot more flexibility to play places that may not normally do live music, and will not have a suitable PA. I also don't like paying to rent a spot, and deal with trying to schedule around that. Jamming at someone's house is always better IMO. Plus if you have your own system you can rent it out to other bands and play "sound guy" for them to make a little cash on the side if you so choose.

The downside, of course, is that a decent PA can be pretty expensive. But if everyone chips in, it makes it a lot easier to handle.

This is all, of course, my opinion on the matter. If your neighbors are dicks, and call the cops on you for noise, then obviously practicing at home isn't a real option.

edited to clarify a few things.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by axemanchris
I think buying a PA system is too much to ask of any one person, considering they are more of a luxury than a necessity. Consider rehearsing at a space that provides one. For gigs, most venues will provide a PA. I have been in very few bands that have actually owned a PA.. CT

I guess that depends on where you live... For our band, and we play out 2 to 3 times a month, our PA is a necessity... The clubs around here don't have their own, with the exception of one... Without spending the money for a PA, we'd have no band at all...

I do agree that the singer should be spittin' in her own mic'... But as has also been said.. If you bought it, you either give the other band memebers a chance at buying you out of the equipment, or you take it with you..

I own the Monitor mixer, the Main speakers, the mic stands and 3 mics... The drummer owns the main board and rack, and the Subs... If he decides to leave, I'll buy the Rack and subs so I own the entire PA, or vice versa...

The vocalist (I'm assuming that she doesn't play an instrument as well) is already getting paid the same amount as the other members that have to play an instrument as well as sing harmony or back up... right?

Make her buy her own stuff, or she does without..

Let me ask it this way... If you all were mechanics, would you let her show up and use everyone elses tools?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 17, 2012,
Tell the bitch to pay or walk. No point letting this little girl get away with this shit. Bitches are the worst. She sounds spoiled. Nothing worse than a spoiled girl.
Quote by Morgothik
The big issue is PA equipment. Don't most vocalist provide their own mic/mics? There are a lot of expensive components in a good PA setup. Components often need replaced or new things get added.

Our vocalist has a reasonably decent PA system with powered mixer - and a like... 2 mics (she had them before we started though), but we all chip in on a lot of the band costs. We just invested in some cabinet mics for the guitars so we can run those through the PA too, and shes chipping in for them when shes not getting any use, really, out of them.

Individual things - ie, guitars, pedals, stage clothes, effects processors - I think that stuff falls on the user, but equipment necessary for good live show or studio sound PA-wise or lights/wireless units etc. should be split. The fact that you guys BOUGHT her clothes is absolutely ridiculous.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Page 1 of 2