Hi everyone,

I can't justify myself buying 2 or more guitars since i want one really versatile.

If I buy a les Paul, add an out phase switch like emg pi2.. Would I be able to get the sound from positions 2 and 4 in a start?

I love the "quack" sounds of a start but also love the "honk" of les Paul's.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
No. Phase switching isn't the same as the way a Strat's combined positions work. The normal Les Paul middle selection is the same as how the Strat's positions are, but obviously it sounds different because of the structure of the pickups used and the distance between them. To get that kind of sound you need pickups made with separate magnetic pole pieces (and preferably split).

Switching phase on a guitar with humbuckers, like a Les Paul, results in a very thin and mid-scooped tone, essentially the exact opposite of normal humbucker tone. All the mids are removed and output is dropped less than half what the guitar would normally put out. Peter Green popularised this tone and Joe Perry also uses it fairly foten.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ Yer what he said. The closest your going to get to a strat 2 or 4 position on a les paul is with a coil tap on both pickups then the middle will do an fair approximation. But due to the inherent differences in construction between strats and les pauls and the coil tapping not being perfect it can only get so close.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
^ Yer what he said. The closest your going to get to a strat 2 or 4 position on a les paul is with a coil tap on both pickups then the middle will do an fair approximation. But due to the inherent differences in construction between strats and les pauls and the coil tapping not being perfect it can only get so close.

Thanks for the info guys. The les Paul model I want does have the coil tap for both pick ups (Axcess les Paul). I've looked for audio demos but can't seem to find one, I'd like to know what does the "it can only get so close" sounds...That Gibson model is not cheap so I gotta be 100% sure before making the purchase.
I've played a few Axcess LPs. There's two things worth noting about them:
  • The split sound is really good, and the closest I've heard to a Fender-style single coil sound on a stock Les Paul. The BurstBuckers those guitars use are about as good for splitting as any humbucker can hope to be.
  • Gibson can't route for and install a Floyd Rose to save their lives. Every Axcess I've played has had the Floyd knocking againt the sides of its recess - even the Epiphone LPs with Floyds are installed better.

If you can get one without the Floyd, it should be great. If you want the Floyd though then save yourself the bother, go look at one of the companies that does know what it's doing with a Floyd (ESP make some great single cut guitars with Floyds) and just install a coil split yourself.

Quote by Bravo.zix
Found a few videos and it does sound thin
That's because, even with pickups that are good for pslitting like the BurstBuckers, the resulting tone is always going to have very low output; usually a split humbucker of that kind has about 2/3rds the output of a classic Fender single coil. You can get pickups that are made with coils like Fender single coils that result in a much better split tone, but then their humbucker tone suffers.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 13, 2012,