So, after questioning about the Bugera V22, I bought it. My guitar is in the shop, so I am playing my brother's Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat. It just so happens my Big Muff is broken, too, so I can't say anything about how that sounds. However, I have been playing it clean and on it's lead channel and I love it. However, there are a few things bothering me about the sound. It's meant to model the Fender Deluxe, however it doesn't have the same cleans. The cleans are good, they just sound too sterile. Also, the Lead channel is average. If you don't have the gain past 3, it sounds just like the clean channel, but as you put more gain, it just doesn't sound like very tight distortion, it sounds kind of watery, if you know what I mean. I plugged the extension cab into my Blackheart 1X12" cab and that seemed to help the sound a little. Basically, I am wondering how upgrades (new tubes, speaker, etc.) will improve the sound, or should I just retun it and buy a different amp. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give the most information.
First, the V22 is certainly not modeled after the Deluxe Reverb. It's got an EL84 power section and is based on a Matchless, which is in turn based on an AC15. No Deluxe Reverb DNA going on there.

Second, there are far too many good amps in that price range for you to settle for something you don't like, or pour more money into something that isn't working for you in the first place. I'd return it and get something else.

In that general price range, you've got:
Fender Blues Junior
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City JCA2212
Vox AC15
VHT Special 6 or 12/20
Marshall Class 5

All of them decent amps. There's probably something in there you'll like better than the V22.
Quote by Roc8995
First, the V22 is certainly not modeled after the Deluxe Reverb. It's got an EL84 power section and is based on a Matchless, which is in turn based on an AC15. No Deluxe Reverb DNA going on there.

Second, there are far too many good amps in that price range for you to settle for something you don't like, or pour more money into something that isn't working for you in the first place. I'd return it and get something else.

Fender Blues Junior
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City JCA2212
Vox AC15
VHT Special 6 or 12/20
Marshall Class 5

All of them decent amps. There's probably something in there you'll like better than the V22.

Sorry, I was talking about the Hot Rod Deluxe, not the Deluxe Reverb.

By the way, I play Blues/Classic Rock kind of stuff like Black Keys, John Mayer, Raconteurs, and Strokes mainly. I think partially it is the guitar, because when I plugged the strat into my old Blackheart, which had an amazing sound, it sounded very similar. I think I will wait for my guitar to be repaired before I make a decision on returning it. Any more help on upgrades, though?
Last edited by DrewMeyer at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by Roc8995
It's not based on that in any way, either.

Oh, ok. Well then I am glad to know that. Thanks
Talk to Axe-man69 here on the forum he knows alot about that Bugger!

Cheers
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
Esp Truckster
Epi Goth Explorer
Ovation Celebrity
Bjärton Bj-12
Eleven Rack
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-Bk
Marschall valvestate 8080
Fish And Chips eq
Bad monkey
Zoom g9.2tt
Quote by bootas
Talk to Axe-man69 here on the forum he knows alot about that Bugger!

Cheers

Will do, thanks!

EDIT: Couldn't find an Axe-man69 on the forums. Any help?
Last edited by DrewMeyer at Mar 13, 2012,
^ he posts in the Bugera Users Militia Thread

Quote by Roc8995

Fender Blues Junior
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City JCA2212
Vox AC15
VHT Special 6 or 12/20
Marshall Class 5

+1

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I think the V22 sounds pretty good on its own though and does have the benefit of 2 channels. Creating a thread about modding it is kind of lame without being able to explain what you want to change. Just wait until you get your guitar back. Play it for several weeks and break in the speaker you have. Then if you want to get specific about making changes to it come back.

I mean I could tell you to put in JJ tubes and a Celestion G12H30 but just because I liked those products for my applications doesn't mean they will work for you.

Get it?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ he posts in the Bugera Users Militia Thread

+1

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I think the V22 sounds pretty good on its own though and does have the benefit of 2 channels. Creating a thread about modding it is kind of lame without being able to explain what you want to change. Just wait until you get your guitar back. Play it for several weeks and break in the speaker you have. Then if you want to get specific about making changes to it come back.

I mean I could tell you to put in JJ tubes and a Celestion G12H30 but just because I liked those products for my applications doesn't mean they will work for you.

Get it?

I get what your saying, although I did describe what I wanted to change, if you read my first post. I was just wondering if new tubes or new speaker would help with those, and if so, which of each would be best for what I play. Really, I don't plan on returning it, I love the sound of it, and it's quite a bit more affordable than the amps listed (although they are all amazing amps). Plus, I like the 22 wattage of the Bugera, perfect for what I need.
^ I did read your first and my answer is still the same.

You said the cleans were sterile and not like a Fender Deluxe. We addressed that. It is not going to sound like a Fender Deluxe. The AC15 is a bit sterile imo. You mentioned that the distortion is not tight, it is watery. Well, the distortion on that amp is not really meant to be tight. It is a rock and blues amp.

I've played the amp several times and in my mind it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Besides, it is a low budget clone made in China. It is what it is.

My suggestion is to play the amp heartily once you get your guitar back. The Bugera's do not use the best tubes so if you want a brighter more sparkly tone try a Tung Sol preamp tube. If you want a warmer more rounded tone then try a JJ preamp tube. Speakers are difficult to chose but I'd look at maybe a Celestion G12H30 or maybe an Eminence Texas Heat.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I did read your first and my answer is still the same.

You said the cleans were sterile and not like a Fender Deluxe. We addressed that. It is not going to sound like a Fender Deluxe. The AC15 is a bit sterile imo. You mentioned that the distortion is not tight, it is watery. Well, the distortion on that amp is not really meant to be tight. It is a rock and blues amp.

I've played the amp several times and in my mind it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Besides, it is a low budget clone made in China. It is what it is.

My suggestion is to play the amp heartily once you get your guitar back. The Bugera's do not use the best tubes so if you want a brighter more sparkly tone try a Tung Sol preamp tube. If you want a warmer more rounded tone then try a JJ preamp tube. Speakers are difficult to chose but I'd look at maybe a Celestion G12H30 or maybe an Eminence Texas Heat.

Ok, well thanks for the help! I got to finally crank the amp last night at band practice, and I think it sounded way good. I think it may just be that I am playing it moderately quietly a lot, so the tubes don't get to be driven. I'll keep playing it a lot for the next few weeks (I should get my guitar back tomorrow or Friday) and see what I think then. Thanks again, sorry for incompetence.
Last edited by DrewMeyer at Mar 14, 2012,