Considering picking up a Big Muff just to have in case I need it for whatever reason. i gotta be honest I'm not a huge fan of the effect but I respect it's legendary tone and i'm willing to bet money that there's plenty of times when a working guitarist needs different sounding drive tones. Looking for things people like about it and what they don't because I have never plugged into one. I like the price and the simple setup of it and honestly buying one wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks for the help
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
i gotta be honest I'm not a huge fan of the effect

To me, this is enough reason not to get one. In my mind people buy effect pedals because they like the sound they produce, not because they're necessarily popular. Just go to the shop and plug into one. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, there are a ton of other pedals out there for you.
There are a billion pedals out there, especially fuzzes and OD/Distortion pedals. Why pursue one that you know you don't like?

Of course, you don't actually know you don't like it - since you haven't played one - so go do that before you make any decisions. Any guitar center will have one you can try out.
Cons - The current production model.
Pros - Clones of older circuits.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It makes cool fuzz sounds if youre really cooking the tubes with it, but I sold it after I found that my orange gets close enough to the sound and id rather have a totally different fuzz. Im more into the spitty fuzzes now.
I like the tone at times, depending on the mood that I am in. I also so badly wanted to make an inappropriate comment based on the name of the thread but I held off. I digress, like everyone seems to be stating go try it out it might be what you are looking for. I have found I love the sound with active pickups, but I am not a big fan with humbuckers, but love it with p90s.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Fuzzes are like ice cream; you don't know which flavor is for you until you try it. There's a ton of different kinds of fuzzes out there.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Fuzzes are like ice cream; you don't know which flavor is for you until you try it. There's a ton of different kinds of fuzzes out there.

No fuzzes are not like ice cream. Men don't eat ice cream. I guess men don't eat fuzzes either... I'll just let myself out now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
No fuzzes are not like ice cream. Men don't eat ice cream. I guess men don't eat fuzzes either... I'll just let myself out now.

God dammit, Dan.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Just with the model that you can go into a GuitarCenter and fool with:

Pros: Lots of sustain, thick and creamy kind of sound
Cons: Scoopy midrange, muddy, harsh highs
i fucking love ice cream

ಠ_ಠ
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i fucking love ice cream

ಠ_ಠ

me too...

i want a big muff
How does the Fuzz Factory compare? I've got a Big Muff and think it sounds superb but the FF is three times the price
Digging the input guys...but just because it's not my favorite thing doesn't mean I won't find a use for it. Nobody has ever been asked to sound like something that they usually don't? I'm a TS9 fan/user all day, but it can't cover many things, I also use a Rat2 pedal that is pretty versatile but sounds nothing like the BM...

I don't know I guess I just have a different plan of attack about this than everyone else, which is fine. If I do decide to get one I'm definitely buying it used for a few knotches cheaper, but honestly a $60-$80 pedal is not really that bad so even if I use it every now and then I won't lose sleep over it
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

It's really cheap for a pedal that has such a long list of famous users - I was actually looking for a buzzsaw grindy sound and managed to dial it in within a minute.
Quote by Chargrill3d
How does the Fuzz Factory compare? I've got a Big Muff and think it sounds superb but the FF is three times the price

the fuzz factory is completely different. it's basically a treble booster rammed into a fuzz face. can be very buzzy and cutting. the oscillation is fantastic though. you should be able to pick one up used for $120ish.

also, OP, i love the current NYC muff. very ratty garage-y sound. but keep in mind, the current version is not your timeless classic muff. i also have a clone of an old triangle muff, and that's also awesome. one con with muffs in general is that the mids are rather scooped, (which is how you get the muff sound) - this doesn't help when you're trying to cut through a band mix. you can leave your muff on half gain and goose it with a mids-heavy overdrive to help cut through. or you could stick an EQ after it.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by iwannabesedated
I'm a huge Big Muff fanboy, I think it sounds great.

But, if you don't like it, why would you get it?

I'm with him, first and only fuzz pedal I own. Its great for the money,. Go and try one out, it's good for White Stripes, QOTSA and stuff like that I find.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
also, OP, i love the current NYC muff. very ratty garage-y sound. but keep in mind, the current version is not your timeless classic muff. i also have a clone of an old triangle muff, and that's also awesome. one con with muffs in general is that the mids are rather scooped, (which is how you get the muff sound) - this doesn't help when you're trying to cut through a band mix. you can leave your muff on half gain and goose it with a mids-heavy overdrive to help cut through. or you could stick an EQ after it.

Very true. I use a Russian Big Box Muff, an NYC Reissue, a Little Big Muff, and in the past have tried a Ram's Head and an Op Amp Big Muff. Every single one was different, and all of them had their uses.

My favorite had to be the Op Amp though. It had an absolutely monster sound. They're a bit on the expensive side (you can sometimes snag one on ebay for $150) but they're worth it.

I would also try the tone wicker Big Muff. A lot of people seem to like it.
I went to Guitar Center a few weeks ago with pretty much all intention of leaving with that pedal until I tried it. For such a storied pedal with so many famous users I thought that I would be able to get a great tone out of it and after about 20 minutes of messing around with it I just couldn't come up with a setting that I could justify spending ANY money on it just came across as thin and wasn't at all what I was expecting. I would recommend trying one out before buying to make sure that it's what you're expecting.
Quote by rocket monkey
I went to Guitar Center a few weeks ago with pretty much all intention of leaving with that pedal until I tried it. For such a storied pedal with so many famous users I thought that I would be able to get a great tone out of it and after about 20 minutes of messing around with it I just couldn't come up with a setting that I could justify spending ANY money on it just came across as thin and wasn't at all what I was expecting. I would recommend trying one out before buying to make sure that it's what you're expecting.

most of those famous users have used previous revisions of the big muff, which sound quite different to the current production model. for example, santana used a triangle big muff a couple of times, david gilmour TYPICALLY used a ram's head, billy corgan used an op amp muff, and jack white used the current NYC muff. there's a shitload of information on this page if you're up to reading some muff history - http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html
Pros: thick juicy tones with endless sustain;
Cons: must give up ice cream eating to get one
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
so what are some of the popular BM clones, I noticed some of you mention that finding clones would be better because chances are they are clones of the older model BM. For what it's worth if I had to choose the Muff tone that I like the most would be Corgan's tone with the OPamp model.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by gerraguitar
so what are some of the popular BM clones, I noticed some of you mention that finding clones would be better because chances are they are clones of the older model BM. For what it's worth if I had to choose the Muff tone that I like the most would be Corgan's tone with the OPamp model.

stomp under foot make great big muff clones - i have the tri-muff, and i love it. and they're reasonably priced too. their op amp muff clone is called the pumpkin pi - http://www.stompunderfoot.com/PUMPKIN_PI.html
Quote by gerraguitar

Like I said, those Op-amp V4 and V5 Big Muffs are expensive. Sometimes $250 bucks or more.

If you can find a vintage (not the new XO version) Little Big Muff, that is essentially the exact same pedal as the V4 and V5 Big Muffs, it just doesn't have the same controls as the normal one. It also costs $100-150 less.
Quote by darkwolf291
I eat ice cream, and Im a man

No, you're a boy.

Best muff is the muff you make yourself. Then tweak it to what you like. They are such a simple and cheap pedal to make why in hell would anybody pay over $200 for a simple four transistor pedal? Are you mad?

http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=3
You can buy the circuit board ^ for $14.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No, you're a boy.

Best muff is the muff you make yourself. Then tweak it to what you like. They are such a simple and cheap pedal to make why in hell would anybody pay over $200 for a simple four transistor pedal? Are you mad?

http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=3
You can buy the circuit board ^ for $14.

You don't even wanna know what I paid for this trio of Muffs.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I just picked up a V.9 Russian a few months ago on the 'bay. I was really enthralled wtih the creamy sustain ala Pumpkins. This does the trick. It does throttle the mids tho. With the sustain almost all the way down (around 3:00 ish), I can get a dirty blues sound too.

The only prob I have with it is that I get a high pitched whine when I plug it into two of my three amps (ss and tube). Only my ss Park provides a clean signal output; at 25w, it's my practice amp
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude
Well for my answer:
Pros: MWAAAAAAAAAAAH
Cons: MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

It's subjective, I love it.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Pros: sustain, sounds awesome, sounds great with single coils, extreme fuzz sounds
Cons: it's f'n huge, like I remember seeing one in person for the first time and thinking honey blew up the muff, ( another pro is that's what she said), doesn't sounds as good with humbuckers IMO but I generally like single coils better anyways so that may just be me.

IMO you can never have too many od/drive/fuzz/dirt pedals. Also it's cheap and it's a pedal people will always want so you could re sell it.
Try it! You'll like it!!!!