Page 1 of 2
I think if I had an authenticated Jimi Hendrix-owned-and-played Strat I wouldn't lean it against a rock:

Or try selling it on CL. Kind of odd. But I'd take it.
Writing in all caps, trying to sell a guitar on Craigslist for $95K - clearly not the brightest person to begin with. Still, it might be resting on a cloth or something in the picture.
seems legit
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
it is not a 60's Strat. It has the CBS style headstock from the 70's. I call BullShit on this guy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe that explains why he's willing to have it perched like that where it looks like it might fall over at any moment.
70's headstock...on a 60's strat? IDTS

^Edit..ninja'd..i should at least read the first few responses...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
If that's actually legit I will saw off my leg and make a guitar out of it for you.
SMILE!
Quote by Robbgnarly
it is not a 60's Strat. It has the CBS style headstock from the 70's. I call BullShit on this guy.

69 Strats had the big headstock.
Not legit (duh). That neck, even at that rubbish resolution, obviously hasn't seen ten years of battle, let alone 40+ years. Maple necks do not stay looking like that for long. Even if it had been left in a closet for all that time, it would still have darkened in colour. That neck hasn't discoloured at all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Robbgnarly

I don't know....from that picture comparing the headstock to the real 1969 Strat below.....they are pretty close...

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
If you can pat 100k for a strat,what the hell do you care if it,s resting against a rock. Oh yeah,does it come with a gigbag or hardshell case?panhead201
If I had 100k to blow on an axe, I'd have a custom made work of art, a Diezel amp and an axe FX II rack, whatever pedal assortment I friggin felt like, and throw the other 85k in the bank. >_> Jimi's cool. Vintage is cool. 100k is ****ing awesome. So much more awesome than a fake.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
headstock is correct. i to have to wonder about the oh so clean neck though. also of courswe what kind of moron sells something like that on CL? also note the lack of pic of the certificate that supposedly makes the guitar authentic. only a total fool would would buy this without it being independently authenticated.
Quote by monwobobbo
headstock is correct. i to have to wonder about the oh so clean neck though. also of courswe what kind of moron sells something like that on CL? also note the lack of pic of the certificate that supposedly makes the guitar authentic. only a total fool would would buy this without it being independently authenticated.

You know what someone should do? Reply and ask for address and will bring cash right over. Check the address and see if it is in the ghetto...or some high end millionaire NY neighborhood then we'll know. LOL
Quote by sonnyrocker
You know what someone should do? Reply and ask for address and will bring cash right over. Check the address and see if it is in the ghetto...or some high end millionaire NY neighborhood then we'll know. LOL

not in my neck of the woods. even if he lived in a good neighborhood it would mean nothing. anyone with an once of brains would either offer the guitar to one of the online vintage guitar dealers or find an auction house to sell it. who the f*ck has that kind of money laying around and looks for stuff on CL. i see guys on there with cars for 1/10 of that money that can't sell them even when they are a good deal. i really think that CL has a fairly low price point where it is really unlikely to sell even if a good deal. i see legit Gibby LPs on mine all the time for $1500-2000 that don't sell. i honestly feel bad for the sellers.
Quote by MrFlibble
Not legit (duh). That neck, even at that rubbish resolution, obviously hasn't seen ten years of battle, let alone 40+ years. Maple necks do not stay looking like that for long. Even if it had been left in a closet for all that time, it would still have darkened in colour. That neck hasn't discoloured at all.
Well... Hendrix only played it for a year seeing that he died in 1970. So it could very easily still look new if it has been well kept for all that time.

Maple does not discolor by itself. The clear coat over the maple is what discolors. If it has been sitting on a display or behind a case or in a closet, then the finish is not going to discolor because there is nothing that would've discolored it.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 14, 2012,
I'm selling the golden gate bridge, two million, it's yours.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
I'm selling the golden gate bridge, two million, it's yours.

I hope you won't mind me having it independently authenticated before I purchase it
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by al112987
Well... Hendrix only played it for a year seeing that he died in 1970. So it could very easily still look new if it has been well kept for all that time.

Maple does not discolor by itself. The clear coat over the maple is what discolors. If it has been sitting on a display or behind a case or in a closet, then the finish is not going to discolor because there is nothing that would've discolored it.

Microorganisms/chemicals in the air (you think thats air your breathing?)/50 years of temperature abuse/50 years of people being around it means that if a guitar is 50 years old it will look fifty years old regardless of how much it was played.
SMILE!
Wasn't Jimi Hendrix favorite year stratocaster a 1966? That had a big headstock.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by al112987
some common sense

I've played an original 1956 Telecaster, and there's currently one in the Nashville Guitar Center in a display case. Neither of them have a darkened/discolored fretboard, just the typical light amber tint. The one I played had seen some use as well.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Microorganisms/chemicals in the air (you think thats air your breathing?)/50 years of temperature abuse/50 years of people being around it means that if a guitar is 50 years old it will look fifty years old regardless of how much it was played.

More obviously...

Use your head a little, do you really think that a guitar that is currently going for $100k that was owned as a collectors piece for the last 40+ years has been subject to "temperature abuse." Mr. Hendrix has been dead for OVER FORTY years, it's not like he has been gigging this guitar or people have been beating it up for all that time. Hell, it probably has barely even been played in all that time. His family hoarded everything.

Anyway, lol at "microorganisms in the air" aging a guitar. I got a nice chuckle out of that one. I especially love the little remark about the air that I'm breathing, actually I'm probably much more aware of what I'm breathing in than you are. Just saying.

If you've ever actually seen a vintage maple neck that was well maintained, it doesn't look much different from the neck in the picture. For some reason, Fender has somehow seemed to give this perception that a vintage maple neck is... orange. Probably because they overspray their reissues and whatnot with this weird orange...yellow... amber... whatever you want to call that color.... tint. When actually, a vintage strat doesn't really look like that unless it's been sitting out in the sun or it's been around a lot of cigarette smoke or some other type of extremely abrasive environment that is actually enough to change the chemical bonds in the finish's polymer structure. Even then... they're not really orange. They turn something more like this...

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-stratocaster-1955-2-tone-sunburst#

Which is really not all that different from the picture. Now, this is a little bit different, the neck has wear on it because someone has played it heavily, the finish has obviously worn through at spots where a player was... playing it, and his/her sweat has discolored the fretboard a little which happens because nitro is a little fragile. But the actual color of the finish itself is not really that different from the picture int he original post.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by al112987

More obviously...

Use your head a little, do you really think that a guitar that is currently going for $100k that was owned as a collectors piece for the last 40+ years has been subject to "temperature abuse." Mr. Hendrix has been dead for OVER FORTY years, it's not like he has been gigging this guitar or people have been beating it up for all that time. Hell, it probably has barely even been played in all that time. His family hoarded everything.

Anyway, lol at "microorganisms in the air" aging a guitar. I got a nice chuckle out of that one. I especially love the little remark about the air that I'm breathing, actually I'm probably much more aware of what I'm breathing in than you are. Just saying.

If you've ever actually seen a vintage maple neck that was well maintained, it doesn't look much different from the neck in the picture. For some reason, Fender has somehow seemed to give this perception that a vintage maple neck is... orange. Probably because they overspray their reissues and whatnot with this weird orange...yellow... amber... whatever you want to call that color.... tint. When actually, a vintage strat doesn't really look like that unless it's been sitting out in the sun or it's been around a lot of cigarette smoke or some other type of extremely abrasive environment that is actually enough to change the chemical bonds in the finish's polymer structure. Even then... they're not really orange. They turn something more like this...

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-stratocaster-1955-2-tone-sunburst#

Which is really not all that different from the picture. Now, this is a little bit different, the neck has wear on it because someone has played it heavily, the finish has obviously worn through at spots where a player was... playing it, and his/her sweat has discolored the fretboard a little which happens because nitro is a little fragile. But the actual color of the finish itself is not really that different from the picture int he original post.

If this wasn't an argument about whether a jimi hendrix guitar is being sold on craigslist then I would take the time and enjoy taking the time to argue this with you.

I will say that by 'temperature abuse' I meant fifty years of existing in the world that has natural temperature changes as there's a fair chance in that time it spent some time in an attic, garage etc. I by no means accept that a serious collector is selling this via craigslist. I don't care about about your credentials, (although I did learn about the content of the air in like 9th year science class so congrats on getting that far) oxidation happens deal with it.

Some photographs of a guitar means all of nothing, you have no idea how that particular guitar has been maintained or if the photographs are truly accurate.

If you are a vintage guitar collector yourself I might accept your opinions but as far as I can tell your a person with access to the internet and anything else you say I'd take with a pinch of salt
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 15, 2012,
Right... because it's on CL, the seller expects someone to walk over to his house with $100k in cash without any sort of verification to buy that guitar? And do you really think the seller has nothing else to verify that guitar outside of one picture?

My point is that there is nothing to suggest that guitar is a fake. Yes, I have seen plenty of vintage guitars (funnily enough, many of which were at Manny's music in NYC) and there is nothing out of the ordinary about that picture that people are claiming. I could understand reasons why there is a lack of information on the CL listing as it could simply be a means of getting the knowledge that this guitar is available out there. Believe it or not, not every major sale is brokered by super hush-hush means.

And I'm curious for you to explain why "temperature changes" would change the color of the neck. A nitro finish will certainly expand and contract, and depending on the thickness of the clear coat, it can cause the finish to crack and check, but it's not going to change the color or make it look more aged.
Quote by al112987
Right... because it's on CL, the seller expects someone to walk over to his house with $100k in cash without any sort of verification to buy that guitar? And do you really think the seller has nothing else to verify that guitar outside of one picture?

My point is that there is nothing to suggest that guitar is a fake. Yes, I have seen plenty of vintage guitars (funnily enough, many of which were at Manny's music in NYC) and there is nothing out of the ordinary about that picture that people are claiming. I could understand reasons why there is a lack of information on the CL listing as it could simply be a means of getting the knowledge that this guitar is available out there. Believe it or not, not every major sale is brokered by super hush-hush means.

And I'm curious for you to explain why "temperature changes" would change the color of the neck. A nitro finish will certainly expand and contract, and depending on the thickness of the clear coat, it can cause the finish to crack and check, but it's not going to change the color or make it look more aged.

unless the ad was on all of the CL's across the country what would the point be. the guitar does seem really clean and may well have been cleaned up. the other thing is that the seller hasn't showed any verification which you'd think he would. hendrix guitars are tracked pretty well at this point so you'd think he'd mention where this one was obtained. a serial number can certainly be forged. sorry but if i was trying to sell something like this then i'd have it verified from more than once source (at least that the guitar is a69 and all original) and then take it to an auction house that certainly would have a much wider audience of perspective buyers than CL. my guess is that someone told him that the guitar was hendrix's and he can't really verify it.
He did mention where it was obtained? Manny's Music in NYC. He has all the verification information listed but not shown, there are reasons why things like serial number and other verification are not posted for the world to see for reasons of risk of forgery (which you even alluded to). And no one is going to buy that guitar with no verification and I do not think that the seller does not realize that. Most people do not have 100k lying around in cash to throw at whatever they want.

Vintage and rare guitars are bought and sold privately all the time. And the guitar is in Soho, it can be verified by any one of hte countless appraisers in NYC. Again, no one is going to go to that sale without being an expert themselves or an expert to help them evaluate the guitar.

I'm not saying that the guitar is not fake, but there is nothing about it or seller's info on it that screams "fake!" to me as it does to others in this thread. The only real reasons that I've seen are... "oh it's on CL" and "oh the neck is too clean".
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by al112987
He did mention where it was obtained? Manny's Music in NYC. He has all the verification information listed but not shown, there are reasons why things like serial number and other verification are not posted for the world to see for reasons of risk of forgery (which you even alluded to). And no one is going to buy that guitar with no verification and I do not think that the seller does not realize that. Most people do not have 100k lying around in cash to throw at whatever they want.

Vintage and rare guitars are bought and sold privately all the time. And the guitar is in Soho, it can be verified by any one of hte countless appraisers in NYC. Again, no one is going to go to that sale without being an expert themselves or an expert to help them evaluate the guitar.

I'm not saying that the guitar is not fake, but there is nothing about it or seller's info on it that screams "fake!" to me as it does to others in this thread. The only real reasons that I've seen are... "oh it's on CL" and "oh the neck is too clean".

You seem to be ignoring the possibility that it's not a serious post or the possibility that the person selling it isn't very smart. My main doubt about this is that if I were selling a guitar worth even two thousand dollars, I wouldn't be selling it on craigslist were any idiot could contact me and show up and my door and steal my expensive equipment but even if I did decide this was an acceptable way to proceed I wouldn't be advertising it on the basis of one not very clear picture. I would definitely show that wonderful view of the neck where it joins the body with the date stamped onto it.

I say temperature changes may have effected it as my 55 year old hofner senator which has clear signs of cracking varnish on the back of the neck and body work looks drastically different in colour from better preserved examples I've seen.
SMILE!
Yes, and my point is that this WOULD be a well-preserved example. Why? Because Hendrix died 40 years ago, the guitar was not owned or played by him for very long, and if the Hendrix family kept all his belongings, which for the most part they did, then there is no reason why it should not be in excellent condition. Secondly if it was ever passed off to a collector after the Hendrix family ownership, then it was likely also kept in immaculate condition. No one is going to take a vintage Hendrix-owned strat to the local bar.

Temperature changes can check a finish, but it's not going to do a bunch of discoloration. From a picture like that, one cannot see anything about the finish on that guitar other than that it is only mildly discolored and very clean. The story given by the post is very plausible. I would 100% believe that a strat like that was bought at Manny's on 48th in NYC, why? Manny's is (or was) world famous for their vintage guitar collection. Manny's is where guys like Jimmy Page an Eric Clapton go to shop for guitars. Random guys who do not know anything about guitars do not know about a place like that.

Again, no one is going to call the guy up, say he has $100k in cash and walk over and hand over a wad of money or write a check and have the seller hand it over. Sellers might be stupid, but no one is that stupid and even suggesting that would be going out on a major limb. The idea that a seller is stupid enough to think that someone is going to hand over $100k on the basis of single picture and some words in an ad alone is absolutely ridiculous. And I'm not sure how one can possibly think that is more likely than the seller actually having a legitimate guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 15, 2012,
Has any one contacted him yet.

How many people can we get to fake interest in it?

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Quote by al112987
Yes, and my point is that this WOULD be a well-preserved example. Why? Because Hendrix died 40 years ago, the guitar was not owned or played by him for very long, and if the Hendrix family kept all his belongings, which for the most part they did, then there is no reason why it should not be in excellent condition. Secondly if it was ever passed off to a collector after the Hendrix family ownership, then it was likely also kept in immaculate condition. No one is going to take a vintage Hendrix-owned strat to the local bar.

Temperature changes can check a finish, but it's not going to do a bunch of discoloration. From a picture like that, one cannot see anything about the finish on that guitar other than that it is only mildly discolored and very clean. The story given by the post is very plausible. I would 100% believe that a strat like that was bought at Manny's on 48th in NYC, why? Manny's is (or was) world famous for their vintage guitar collection. Manny's is where guys like Jimmy Page an Eric Clapton go to shop for guitars. Random guys who do not know anything about guitars do not know about a place like that.

Again, no one is going to call the guy up, say he has $100k in cash and walk over and hand over a wad of money or write a check and have the seller hand it over. Sellers might be stupid, but no one is that stupid and even suggesting that would be going out on a major limb. The idea that a seller is stupid enough to think that someone is going to hand over $100k on the basis of single picture and some words in an ad alone is absolutely ridiculous. And I'm not sure how one can possibly think that is more likely than the seller actually having a legitimate guitar.

I don't know what the hell most of what your talking is about or how it is in any way answer to my point.

But okay 'My Dad used to work in Manny's and was also superman' that's how easy lying on the internet is. The seller might know a lot about guitars but that doesn't mean he owns a vintage jimi hendrix strat. I know about Manny's because when I went to New York I read a tour guide, it's hardly a closely guarded secret.

You've also just conceded that it's unrealistic to expect that a successful transaction would take place based on craigslist so that means you understand this is probably bullshit. Explain to me how selling this guitar would work without either a) asking someone to show up with a lot of money or b) telling someone who could be a complete nutjob where you live with you're 100k guitar
SMILE!
Quote by sean1784
Has any one contacted him yet.

How many people can we get to fake interest in it?

I was thinking about going over there and giving it a strum. But I'm not sure where "there" really is. I saw the same CL ad posted on New Jersey CL, though of course I can see Jersey out my bedroom window from Manhattan so that doesn't mean it's necessarily very far.

And it's not like you can go to Manny's and ask because Manny's unfortunately is no longer there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/nyregion/01mannys.html
You guys are all being waaay too skeptical.

I just contacted the seller and bought this bad boy. We settled on $79K because it had a few scratches and there was some dirt on the bottom from him resting it in his garden.

Be sure to check back shortly and I'll post a NGD thread in GG&A.

.... haha
Trust Al, he's a doctor. He knows microorganisms.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If I had 100.000 to spend without in any way extorting my account, then I would get 100.000 in Cents, get to Soho and buy that guitar with cash. Simply so I get to see the look on the guys face.
Then again, if I was that rich, then the look on the guys face would be what I was after, since then i would already own some Hendrix guitars...
Page 1 of 2