Hey,
I take Music Technology at school, and in my spare time between projects, I tend to muck around trying to record song ideas and such. I'm able to mic up an amp and record guitar parts through that, but the opportunity isn't always available, so I've been trying to get a decent guitar tone on Logic through plugging the guitar into an Alesis io2 DI box, then using a software amp on logic. No matter what I do, the guitar seems to come out sounding 'muffled'. Is there something I should be doing, or that I shouldn't when recording guitar in this way?
Thanks

tl;dr Tips for recording guitar using a DI box
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
What amp sim are you using?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I couldn't tell you for certain, but as far as I recall, it was labelled Amp Dsn. I've tried with the other 3 or so that we have on the computers though, and they all seem to have the same muffled sound
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just to clarify, you are using a speaker cab sim too, right?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The interface seems to be a combination of both - It has various different amp heads, and different speaker cabs that can be selected independently of eachother. It also has options for mic placement. Are there any overall do's and dont's I should be keeping in mind, when using this stuff?
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Another Logic user - I'm no longer alone here! Anyway, I dunno if it's any better in Logic 9 (they claim it's completely rebuilt from scratch in version 9), but I use Logic 8 still and can't stand most of the amp sims on there. I tend to mic amps up whenever I can, but for demos and quick stuff at home now I use LePou plug-ins (mainly LeCto, LE456 and LeXtac) for the amp simulation, and the I use Logic's Space Designer (convolution reverb) to load speaker cab impulse responses (two great sets to look for/google are "God's Cab" and "Catharsis impulse responses") and you load them by hitting the drop-down arrow by 'Impulse Response' on the left hand side of the plug-in GUI and choose 'Load IR and Init.'. Then set the dry control on the right to min. and the wet as high as you like... some of the LePou plug-ins are louder than others, so you don't need to put it all the way up to 0dB!

That should help you get a nicer sound than the Logic amp sims, that I think only work for jazzy cleans and quirky novelty tones.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
First of all, what you're using is not a DI box. You're using an audio interface's 1/4" inputs. There's a difference. While you may technically still be DIing into your interface, the interface isn't a DI box.

Second of all, its likely just the sim, if your guitar sounds fine through amped setups. Try the amp sims suggested above
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw, Audio Interface is a much better term, I'll stick to that from now on.

I'm pretty sure I'm using Logic 8, so I guess it comes down to the amp sims, then. I'll see if I can sort out one of the suggestions mentioned. Thanks, guys
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE