Hi guys !

I have some questions which someone has to clarify for me .What's the best way to have a efficient practice, I'm not sure if it's better to play many (3-4) exercises per day or stick on 1 or 2. My goal is to be very good on all areas so I'm not sure how to arrange my daily routine. I'm mostly worried about muscle memory;there are seven days in a week and if every day I practice something different (1st day chromatic, 2nd day sweeping, 3rd day tapping and so on till the end of the week until I come to begging and then start all over again) will that affect everything I practiced before. I hope you understand what I want to say. So can you help me to clarify this and sorry if post is little bit messed up, I want to say everything in one post
Quote by shadowplayer
Hi guys !

I have some questions which someone has to clarify for me .What's the best way to have a efficient practice, I'm not sure if it's better to play many (3-4) exercises per day or stick on 1 or 2. My goal is to be very good on all areas so I'm not sure how to arrange my daily routine. I'm mostly worried about muscle memory;there are seven days in a week and if every day I practice something different (1st day chromatic, 2nd day sweeping, 3rd day tapping and so on till the end of the week until I come to begging and then start all over again) will that affect everything I practiced before. I hope you understand what I want to say. So can you help me to clarify this and sorry if post is little bit messed up, I want to say everything in one post

I don't know, blues doesn't use any techniques like sweeping and tapping, so I have never been a practicing type. I mainly just play for a few hours a day, playing songs I like and just practicing soloing. I know this contributed nothing to the conversation, I was just putting in my 2 cents.
I found I end up getting the most bang for my practice buck with small amounts of a subjects daily. After about 20 minutes of working on a specific technique I'll start to get bored and sloppy, so I try to keep my technique practice sessions under that amount of time. So I would suggest small bouts of work on a few techniques until you get those down instead of something different everyday, because if you're working on 5 techniques it'll be six days before you get back to a technique you were working at previously and you would end up losing a lot of what you gained during the previous session.
You might be best treating it like a workout routine: change what you do every other day. For example...

Day 1:
  • Chords and Scales for 20 minutes (warm-up; could add sight-reading if you wanted. Extend to 30 minutes)
  • Sweeping for 30 minutes
  • Tapping for 30 minutes
  • Fun for however long (learning/writing songs or just playing)

Day 2:
  • Chords and Scales for 20 minutes (warm-up; could add sight-reading if you wanted. Extend to 30 minutes))
  • Alternate picking exercises for 30 minutes
  • String-skipping exercises for 30 minutes
  • Fun for however long (learning/writing songs or just playing)

And I'm sure you get the idea...

This way you get to work on everything you want, become well-rounded and then you don't get bored because an hour and a half into it you start REALLY enjoying yourself!
Quote by shadowplayer
Hi guys !

Something to consider is that if you play music on your guitar, and you play regularly, you will develop muscle memory as you play (and alot of other things to). and it IS efficient.
shred is gaudy music
@rocketmonkey I too can't do one exercise more than a half of an hour, I just lose concentration and have to move on other

@DiminishedFifth that's a really great post, thanks for the schedule , but I have one question about it. Should I make it like that on a 3-4 days base and then just rotate it or as you said everyday something different?

@GuitarMunky That's good to hear
Quote by shadowplayer
@DiminishedFifth that's a really great post, thanks for the schedule , but I have one question about it. Should I make it like that on a 3-4 days base and then just rotate it or as you said everyday something different?

You can change it as you like! It was just something I whipped up real quick.

I would do 6 days of hard practice with one off-day. So I would have days 1, 3 and 5 be the same thing with days 2, 4 and 6 being different things. I mean you can cover a lot of things in the 2 or so hours of practicing if you just manage your time wisely so you can change the schedule every two weeks (instead of sweeping on odd days make it "Hybrid Picking", etc.) or so.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I would do 6 days of hard practice with one off-day. So I would have days 1, 3 and 5 be the same thing with days 2, 4 and 6 being different things. I mean you can cover a lot of things in the 2 or so hours of practicing if you just manage your time wisely so you can change the schedule every two weeks (instead of sweeping on odd days make it "Hybrid Picking", etc.) or so.

This is what I've been looking for, my biggest problem was how to construct it per days and with this post in mind I can finally create it. Yeah, I know I sound like I discovered a new continent but you really helped me .Thanks a lot!