I am looking to put together an Avatar 2x12 to go with the Ironheart or Peavey 6505 I will be getting shortly. I want to do something different then the old standard V30's that come in most cabinets, and I started looking into Eminence Speakers.

The three choices I have come up with to pair with the amp head in the 2x12 are:
2 Swamp Thangs
1 Swamp Thang, 1 Governer
1 Swamp Thang, 1 Texas Heat

Now my question in regards to why I posted is does anyone have any experience in doing what I am thinking of? As in which of the 3 speaker choices I am considering would compliment the 6505 or Ironheart nicely?

Any thoughts? Please let me know.
More gear laying around then I know what to do with, and still buying crap.
I liked the Texas Heat, I used Swamp thangs and liked em, but I have never used a governor. I would say go for the Swamp Thang/Texas Heat combo
E-mail them and ask them directly what they would recommend. I can't remember if it's Eminence, but they're usually really helpful and quick to respond.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The Governor is supposed to be a V30 with mids that are less harsh/spike-y.

Eminence is really quick to respond to email queries. Next working day if I recall correctly.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by Eppicurt
E-mail them and ask them directly what they would recommend. I can't remember if it's Eminence, but they're usually really helpful and quick to respond.

it is eminence, and +1

i've tried a texas heat and like it. it's pretty dark, though, i'd want to pair it with something brighter.

as has been said, i think the governor is a v30 (or their version of one, anyway), so if you don't want v30s then maybe give it a miss.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the swamp and heat sound really good together. I havent tried a governor, but hear taht they are decent as well. For something a little different maybe try the swamp with a manowar or a tonker for a lot of low from both speakers, but having both voiced differently.

^yo dave, what are you using the t heat that sounds dark? I've got a pair in my k-tre combo, and I think they sound pretty bright. Certainly some low end, not as much as a swamp, but i don't think they're dark speakers.
I've been thinking about doing a Governor/Swamp Thang combo in a 212 cabinet myself.

I have a Governor in my 6505+ 112 right now and I can tell you it has a nice, tight, grinding, midrange to it. I've never tried a Vintage 30 in that amp so I don't know how they compare. But I've felt that my Governor lacks a little in the low-end department, that's why I thought a Swamp Thang would compliment it nicely.

If anyone has tried that combination, I'd be all ears as well!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Eminence sells a "Monster Metal" speaker pack that includes 2 Swamp Thangs and 2 Texas Heats. So if you're playing metal I'd suggest that.

Edit: Except buy them separately since you're only putting them in a 212.
I sent Eminence an email last night, and after talking to the guy over at Avatar I am looking at having a Swamp Thang and a Texas Heat in my Avatar.
More gear laying around then I know what to do with, and still buying crap.
Good Choice. I love my heats, They make leads jump out so much more in a performance setting. That combo will definitely give you a nicely balanced tone.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by rokket2005

^yo dave, what are you using the t heat that sounds dark? I've got a pair in my k-tre combo, and I think they sound pretty bright. Certainly some low end, not as much as a swamp, but i don't think they're dark speakers.

i think i've tried it with all my amps, and it sounded fairly dark with all of them

(engl savage se, laney gh50l, vht special 6 and valve junior. actually now i think of it i don't think i've tried the 18 watt clone with it )

EDIT: don't get me wrong, it sounds good and i like it, but it did seem to me to be on the dark and chunky side. it's not like it has no treble, and there's a nice sweetness to the treble that i like, but yeah. I wouldn't call it bright.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I wouldn't call mine dark, but it definitely lacks tightness in the low end, which I have frequently mistakenly compensated for by reducing the bass. It is darker than most stock speakers, but compared to other eminence speakers I would say its pretty normal.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
that might be so. i've only tried a few of the eminences
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?