Hi again UG

Since i dont have a bass, i just had the idea of reamping the guitar pro midi bass outputted through the headphone slot, into the input of my Toneport GX and through a bass amp on there. Will this work or sound any good? If so, any tips on making it sound decent? Cheers
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Hi again UG

Since i dont have a bass, i just had the idea of reamping the guitar pro midi bass outputted through the headphone slot, into the input of my Toneport GX and through a bass amp on there. Will this work or sound any good? If so, any tips on making it sound decent? Cheers

MIDI isn't actually an audio format... it's a series of 'words' telling computers and other MIDI-based devices how to react to different user inputs and what to do with these signals. All the bass part from Guitar Pro features is information about note pitch, velocity and duration. You need a sampler or keyboard to take this MIDI data and use it to play a synth instrument (whether in your DAW with a soft-synth, or in hardware form with a keyboard or synthesiser).

Your best bet would be to use the MIDI data to play a soft-synth bass (I'd imagine most DAW's include one, Logic and Ableton Live certainly do) and use this to get as close to a real bass as you can. Then, if you still aren't happy, you could go for as clean a bass sound as possible from the MIDI data into a soft-synth, and then take the output from the soft-synth/export to an audio track and run that through your bass rig, as long as you have the correct gear to do so.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
MIDI isn't actually an audio format... it's a series of 'words' telling computers and other MIDI-based devices how to react to different user inputs and what to do with these signals. All the bass part from Guitar Pro features is information about note pitch, velocity and duration. You need a sampler or keyboard to take this MIDI data and use it to play a synth instrument (whether in your DAW with a soft-synth, or in hardware form with a keyboard or synthesiser).

Your best bet would be to use the MIDI data to play a soft-synth bass (I'd imagine most DAW's include one, Logic and Ableton Live certainly do) and use this to get as close to a real bass as you can. Then, if you still aren't happy, you could go for as clean a bass sound as possible from the MIDI data into a soft-synth, and then take the output from the soft-synth/export to an audio track and run that through your bass rig, as long as you have the correct gear to do so.

Thanks for the reply! I literally meant playing the bass track in GP and then recording it going through the interface via a jack cable. I will definitely have a look into what youve suggested though as it seems a much better way to do it
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
4front bass plugin. Thank me later.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you can run podfarm as a plugin, you could always run that after the soft-synth bass DisarmGoliath was talking about. It might help enhance the tone a bit and make it sound more natural.
Write the music you want to hear.