so im starting a solo bass project because im tired of crap happening in the bands ive been in. im going for an Ambient Black Metal style with the help of lots o effects and a looper. so heres my question what effects would be good and what alternate tuning would be great i currently have only a 4 and 5 string bass and as far as effects i have essentials but none worth mentioning so yeah thanks for the help in advance
It's a solo project, what do you want?

Not being an ass, but if your tired of dealing with others, why ask for us to tell you to tune to drop A and buy a big muff?

I'd get one with flats and one with rounds, standard and beadg would be fine, maybe bead for the four. But why not tell us what you have already if you want us to make informed suggestions.
Ambient Black Metal? Ok, music genres are getting silly as hell.

I agree with askere more info is needed here.
Quote by anarkee
Ambient Black Metal? Ok, music genres are getting silly as hell.

I agree with askere more info is needed here.

I guess you wouldn't be interested in starting a post-reggae-core band
Ambient black metal isn't exactly that silly of a genre name. It's just music that fuses black metal with more mellow, atmospheric passages n stuff. No need to go "LOL FUSION PIRATECORE DUBSTEP".

As far as what equipment you'll need and how to go about doing it, I'd say you're definitely doing to need some heavy fuzz and maybe even a pick if you want a more traditional tremolo picked sound. Tuning the five EADGC would be a boon in this department too.

For the cleaner passages, go for some delay, and possibly even some looped eBow phrases. Synth pedals are cool too.

Also, get some good drum programming software.
Your the big creative solo guy, you should know that tuning's only change the location of the notes you already have on your guitar right?
It's not a big deal what tuning your in lol
Is this solo as in your only playing bass with no guitar or drums to back you up?
Good luck bro.
I'd suggest a fuzz or distortion unit and delay and reverb and etheral shit.
Or realise that no one listens to solo black metal projects and every man and his lonely depressed isolated dog has one that all sound the same.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Your the big creative solo guy, you should know that tuning's only change the location of the notes you already have on your guitar right?
It's not a big deal what tuning your in lol
Is this solo as in your only playing bass with no guitar or drums to back you up?
Good luck bro.
I'd suggest a fuzz or distortion unit and delay and reverb and etheral shit.
Or realise that no one listens to solo black metal projects and every man and his lonely depressed isolated dog has one that all sound the same.

I'd expect much better spelling and grammar from someone who was being half as condescending as you are there, kindly go away.

As for the funeral doom suggestion, I'd expect that they would take inspiration from different places but end up in the same general ballpark.

I suppose my best tip is to make good use of layers of feedback as well as reversed ambience and maybe white noise.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Feedback, reversed ambience, and white noise? Now you're getting into Japanoise territory and that's some pretty dangerous stuff. You might end up insanely popular like Melt Banana or you might end up obscenely obscure like all but about 4 other Japanoise acts.

I suppose these are just tools though and it depends on how you use them, but you've gotta be careful with this kind of project. 9 times out of 10 it just ends up being a self-proclaimed LRRG playing chuggy crap in his PJs for about 400 youtubers to see
Last edited by CJ Noble at Mar 17, 2012,
You don't want it to be in the forefront, but all three things (but particularily the first two) can be very handy at filling in a bit of space and creating the mood.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

^wrong forum, bro.

easy mistake to make

lol reported

EDIT: aww, mod edited out my joke
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Mar 17, 2012,
I didn't read a lot of the above posts... so sorry for the overlap...

I assume you mean stuff like; Grouper, Alcest, or Poor, Useless Me/Sun Devoured Earth?

Honestly, look up more of the Shoegaze or Post-rock specific threads. A lot of the effect and gear suggestions are exactly the same. Splitting genre-name-hairs at that point is just that.

Fuzz, OD, Distortion, Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Loopers, Tremolo, Phasers, Octavers, Ring Modulators, Noise-circuits, Flangers, envalope filters.... seriously, like ANY pedal.

If you have a specific tone you want, it helps to look at what the band/musician that plays it uses.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I'd definitely recommend a delay. If you want a cheap one, Danelectro makes a decent one that's in the neighborhood of $20, new; I have two of them, which brings me to my next point.

Bi-amp (play through two amps simultaneously) if possible. This allows some crazy stuff. For example, I have a delay on each of my amps, which allows them to echo and fade out at different rates. I also run a Muff Overdrive on the quieter, more trebly of the two amps. Because it's a guitar distortion, it tends to lose low end. Normally, that's considered a bad thing, but because it's just on the quieter, brighter of the two amps, it gives it a fuzzy sound, while the main amp keeps the low end. Also, because they each have separate delays, I can have the clean and overdriven sounds each doing their own thing.

If you can afford a harmonizer pedal, that would open up a lot of options, especially if you bi-amp.

Most of what I said is based off my own rig; hope it gives you some ideas.
Last edited by herby190 at Mar 19, 2012,