Hey UG folks. I've lately had this thought in my mind: is David Gilmour the progenitor of the single-string muted eighth note technique? I've heard this in plenty of rock songs of the 1970s and 1980s, but I haven't heard any examples predating his use of this quasi-motif in the song "Echoes."

If you know "Echoes," it's the style that re-introduces the guitar after the weird ambient wah-alien/crow middle section, with two bars each of B down to F#, up to D, then down to E. Other examples of this style that I can think of off the top of my head are Stevie Nicks' "Edge Of Seventeen," and of course the introduction to "Eye of the Tiger."

Gilmour also uses this technique in "Another Brick in the Wall, Part I" and "The Happiest Days of Our Lives."

It's such a simple thing, yet somehow magically moody. Anyone have any thoughts?

Feel free to respond here, or email me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hrci8HChNw < Happiest Days of our Lives. You mean the guitar that comes in at :20?

I doubt he created it, but he definitely liked using it on the Wall.

I don't recall this in Echoes, but it's been awhile. I'll give it a.. "quick" listen.

Edit: Ok, now I remember what you're talking about. Yea, come to think of it I don't know of any musicians who do that. Echoes sounds faster than eighth notes though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Mar 14, 2012,
Its true he did love using those on the Wall. Run like hell is also centered around that technique
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?