So far my collection contains:
A tuning pedal,
A distortion pedal,
A noise suppression pedal,
And an overdrive pedal.

I want to play metal.. I mean really fast chuggy chug chug type metal, with sharp highs and a lot of girth. I love playing breakdowns as well (Think about the band August Burns Red). Is a compressor a good idea? I've seen so many different effects out there, any suggestions on what I should go for next will be much appreciated. My price range is about 50-150. I will settle for something 200-250, but only if it's completely awesome.

I have a 4x12 running through a 6505, in case that helps at all.

Can I also get some opinions on
4x12 vs. 2x12
and
slanted vs. straight cabs
a compressor is a must for heavy playing. it just allows you to get a little more out of your tone. the best kind of compressor is when you don't even recognize it. there are a lot of compressor pedals out there so just go try one out.

i don't really know if there are any noticable differences between slant cabs and straight other than the direction the sound is pointed in. but 4x12 vs 2x12 depends on what you are doing. i've always preferred 2x12 cabs for recording, they don't get as much low end boom as a 4x12 and they just sound much more compact and just work better. and unless you are doing larger sized venues you don't need a 4x12 cab, i've seen some ridiculous amps come in to wallpaper gigs and it's almost like they are trying to compensate for something. for metal music especially there's this image of you need to use a 4x12, and yeah they can handle those high gain amps no problem, but i think a lot of players underestimate how much of an overkill they are in given situations.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
a compressor is a must for heavy playing. it just allows you to get a little more out of your tone. the best kind of compressor is when you don't even recognize it. there are a lot of compressor pedals out there so just go try one out.

i don't really know if there are any noticable differences between slant cabs and straight other than the direction the sound is pointed in. but 4x12 vs 2x12 depends on what you are doing. i've always preferred 2x12 cabs for recording, they don't get as much low end boom as a 4x12 and they just sound much more compact and just work better. and unless you are doing larger sized venues you don't need a 4x12 cab, i've seen some ridiculous amps come in to wallpaper gigs and it's almost like they are trying to compensate for something. for metal music especially there's this image of you need to use a 4x12, and yeah they can handle those high gain amps no problem, but i think a lot of players underestimate how much of an overkill they are in given situations.

Really? I'd have said a compressor would be one of the last things you'd want.

I agree with Wtr, you can go a long way by upgrading pedals.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Compressor isn't really what you need. I don't like them at all for a guitar chain. You need a guitar/pup combo and an amp with a really tight response.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
if you play leads then a delay pedal might be a good plan. a phaser set the right way can yield a really cool heavy sound as well (in conjunction with your distortion either pedal or amp)
Last edited by monwobobbo at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by gerraguitar

No.
With heavy gain, you get natural compression, so a compressor is just redundant.