Ok, i found an Axe FXII. Before i dump a shite load of money into one, i wanna know from all the pplz that own one, are they really worth the $2600 plus a decent power amp??
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
They are pretty awesome. Probably the most realistic modeling I've heard.

This is a decent example of what the Axe FX can do, and this is the Axe FX 1. The 2 is even better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJfONBq89U
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Put yourself on the wait list and buy it for $2200. Then grab an Alto powered cab for the FRFR system. Got mine today, and it's very, very cool but it really isn't the perfection that a lot of fan bois rave on and on about. A lot of the amp models are excellent, but some of them are very meh. The distortion/fuzz models are awful and sound nothing like what they're supposed to (for reference, I've got almost all of the real deal pedals on hand). The rest of the FX are really nice though. Would honestly use it for just the chorus, delay and reverb sounds. It's also super dynamic and response, the first modeling system I've had that experience with.

I dunno, maybe it's just because I have access to most of the amps/effects modeled but I've definitely got my complaints. Most of the high gain models are crazy delicious though. Especially the Cameron, Friedman, Bogner and Boogie ones. The SLO model isn't all that great, the Diezel one is fairly good, the lower gain amps (Fender, Vox, Dumble, Dr. Z, etc) tend to have this strange compression in the low end that can be tough to dial out if you don't delve deep into the advanced options.

If you've got the time to spend with it, I'm sure you could fix most of my complaints (save the fuzzes, they truly are just awful) and I'll definitely be working towards that over the coming weeks/months. Just don't expect it to blow you away out of the box.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Put yourself on the wait list and buy it for $2200. Then grab an Alto powered cab for the FRFR system. Got mine today, and it's very, very cool but it really isn't the perfection that a lot of fan bois rave on and on about. A lot of the amp models are excellent, but some of them are very meh. The distortion/fuzz models are awful and sound nothing like what they're supposed to (for reference, I've got almost all of the real deal pedals on hand). The rest of the FX are really nice though. Would honestly use it for just the chorus, delay and reverb sounds. It's also super dynamic and response, the first modeling system I've had that experience with.

I dunno, maybe it's just because I have access to most of the amps/effects modeled but I've definitely got my complaints. Most of the high gain models are crazy delicious though. Especially the Cameron, Friedman, Bogner and Boogie ones. The SLO model isn't all that great, the Diezel one is fairly good, the lower gain amps (Fender, Vox, Dumble, Dr. Z, etc) tend to have this strange compression in the low end that can be tough to dial out if you don't delve deep into the advanced options.

If you've got the time to spend with it, I'm sure you could fix most of my complaints (save the fuzzes, they truly are just awful) and I'll definitely be working towards that over the coming weeks/months. Just don't expect it to blow you away out of the box.

Fuzzes and drives are great when I use them with a poweramp and cab. They need a lot of high cut when I use them FRFR. They also have more EQ options than the actual pedals. It's noted that the effects models are more interpretations of the effects they model, with more options (change diode, circuit bias, etc) It helps when you pan stereo cabs center and mix farfield and nearfield cabs to help get back some of that "amp in the room sound". That trick really helped me get a good sound dialed in.

The Alto I recommended to you has some DSP processing on the low and high end, just like my K12. Even the K12 needs a corrective IR and a slight shelving EQ. The Damp parameter is what I think you should play with , for your issues. More makes it more open, less makes it more compressed.

FRFR is a costly route. I just spent some time with an RCF NX12SMA, and it was worlds ahead of my K12, but it's twice the price, and 5x the price of the Alto. For those of us who don't have meyer sound PA's, or Jay Mitchell installations, power amp and cab will be the best way to transition before you adjust to FRFR. I've dialed in an FRFR sound that I really enjoy now.

I'm not saying everything in the axe sounds good. But I find it a bit odd that none of the drives or fuzzes sound good. They sound great in 4CM into my amps. If they were all crap, it's odd that many "big names" are using the drive in conjunction with the amp sims.

I encountered the same dislike for the fuzzes, until I found I had the input knob set too low. Needs to "tickle" the red leds when played hard. Let me know if you run into any other issues.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Mar 14, 2012,
Have you tryed the Eleven rack? Might save you 2000$.....
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
Esp Truckster
Epi Goth Explorer
Ovation Celebrity
Bjärton Bj-12
Eleven Rack
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-Bk
Marschall valvestate 8080
Fish And Chips eq
Bad monkey