Hi UG, I recently came into contact with another copy of my guitar, a Slammer XP-1 by Hamer. Now, the one that I got, Jessica, is really sentimental as you can probably already tell. Anyway, with a whole lot of nostalgic feelings for the extra Slammer, I went to guitarfetish.com and bought a Super Heavy Duty Floyd Rose. In my haste I never thought of remembering there being complications with the 'Installing a Floyd rose on a Explorer." So, with the 'Jessica' clone in hand and a Floyd Rose on the way, what I need are some directions to go from here. It could be a good experience to do this all myself (I have all the necessary tools) it's not like its a very valuable guitar... yet

Anyway, Where do I start? What do I need to make sure of? What are some similarites in other FR installations I could use? Anything else?

Oh P.S I know that most will say "Don't do it" and "It won't work" I WANT to do it, just to see if it will work.

P.P.S Yes, I do have Luthier Experience

Attachments:
IMG_0392 (Custom).JPG
My Setup:

Slammer XP-1 by Hamer w/ SD's Hot Rodded Humbuckers
Jay Turser JT-RR100 (Custom)
Barracuda Les Paul (Custom)
Peavey ValveKing Head/Cab
Line 6 Spider III 120w Combo
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
DigiTech RP300A Mulit-Effects Pedal
The thing is, I may have to make specific measurements, because this guitar is 3/4 scale or the size of an actual explorer. Just not too sure.

And thanks for pointing that out...

I was searching for hours and that thread didn't come up or at least I don't think it did
My Setup:

Slammer XP-1 by Hamer w/ SD's Hot Rodded Humbuckers
Jay Turser JT-RR100 (Custom)
Barracuda Les Paul (Custom)
Peavey ValveKing Head/Cab
Line 6 Spider III 120w Combo
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
DigiTech RP300A Mulit-Effects Pedal
Is the guitar body thick enough for a Floyd? If the body is thinner than the length of the block, then you don't want to go routing it. That's why you don't generally see Floyd Roses on Squier Affinities, Fender Mustangs, or Gibson SGs. They're all about 1/4" or more thinner than a regualar Strat, so the block would stick out the back. Not cool to get your clothes caught in the springs when doing your whammy abuse (or pinch your skin if you play shirtless).

At least with the Squiers and Mustangs, it's a bolt-on neck, so you could do a surface-mount install--you'd have to shim the neck to get the right string angle. But then it wouldn't float. That would be good if you wanted to use a D-Tuna... But half the fun of a Floyd Rose is the ability to pull back on the trem so much farther than you could with most other trem systems. The Floyd has to be recessed to do that.

Whatever you do, be sure to always remove string tension prior to adjusting the action so you don't put undue wear on the knife edges. Just disconnect the springs first. You don't even have to de-tune the strings. A couple of seconds can save you a couple hundred dollars or more.
as for making "specific measurements", just measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it for the length from the nut to the bridge. any one would have to make similar measurements...
---