Hey, I currently made another guitar in a Les Paul form (body is Alder with a Zebrawood top and neck is Mahogany and a Goncalo Alves fretboard) Zebrawood is suppose to be similar to Maple according to Warmoth and Goncalo Alves is suppose to sound similar to Mahogany. I'm just wondering, what I should get for the bridge pickup? I want something with major attitude like the Slash pickup but with a lot of beefiness to it (without making it sound muddy) I also need it to be 4 conductor as I'm making it with push pulls, I would also really want a nice warm tone when the coils are split. Anything out there? I was thinking along the lines of a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I was told the Air Classic or a Tone Zone is good to. I wouldn't mind going Seymour Duncan ether. My budget is around 100$ ish. I play LITERALLY any genre of music but I mostly stay on classic rock, hard rock and sometimes old 80's and 90's metal. Thanks!! I'm currently not at my house and on a business trip so please bare with me as sometimes my phone doesn't have Internet connection, thank you so much again for the help! If you need anything else to narrow down your pickup idea, I will response as quickly as I can!
Dimarzio Breed would be thick, beefy and warm - also versatile but perfect for those more classic tines. The Tone Zone wouldn't be a great choice IMO, it's a bit shreddy and a bit too dense tonally to be versatile.

Dunno why you think Slash's pickups have "attitude" though, they're low output Alnico 2 pickups with soft attack, very polite and understated really - his amp is what has the "attitude".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I can vouch for the Dimarzio PAF Joe, it's far from muddy and perfect for rock and 80s metal. Great harmonics too
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by steven seagull
Dimarzio Breed would be thick, beefy and warm - also versatile but perfect for those more classic tines. The Tone Zone wouldn't be a great choice IMO, it's a bit shreddy and a bit too dense tonally to be versatile.

Dunno why you think Slash's pickups have "attitude" though, they're low output Alnico 2 pickups with soft attack, very polite and understated really - his amp is what has the "attitude".

Breed does sound nice, and I agree with the tone zone, but if you are willing to sacrifice your non-rock tones, I think that the tone zone has some pretty sweet rock tones. I don't know how the zebrawood top affects the sound of the wood, but I find that if you like a your tone with some snap, like a lot of 70s style tones, but with more output, then a tone zone in alder is what you want. Of course, This is what I have found through my experiements, I also have one in a basswood rhoads style guitar and play tech death with it You could say I'm a Tone Zone fanboi
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the ideas guys! Any reason why I shouldnt choose the Super Distortion? I do play a lot of the really classic 70's rock too. Forgot to say.
And I was thinking along the lines of a pickup with a Zebra Cover or creme. I just heard the PAF joe and Breed, so far I like the PAF (has that attitude, old style rock sound I extrmely like) a lot more then the Breed, it just seems to not my style. But both of them only come in Double black and different colors but not Zebra or Creme like I would love to have (aka would go great with a Zebrawood top)
The super distortion is an option, I know a lot people give them crap, but I think its because people expect modern metal out of it, and it simply doesn't do that. But check it out, you might like it.
I think people think I mean like Panthera and all that stuff. When I say metal I mean like Steelheart. But I play 70-80's classic rock like 80% of the time. So I think the Super Distortion is what I want unless someone doesn't think I should get it and has a good reason why.
Definitely give the tone zone a listen, can't hurt, but yeah, if you are set on the super distortion, I see no reason why it couldn't cop the tones you want.
The super distortion is ideal for that.
Most of those guys used that humbucker paired with a hot rodded marshal.
Quote by GuitarzMyThing
Thanks for the ideas guys! Any reason why I shouldnt choose the Super Distortion? I do play a lot of the really classic 70's rock too. Forgot to say.

I like the Super distortion, but the Breed beats it hands down if your using words like beefy, warm and thick to describe the tones you want - it's the fattest sounding pickup Dimarzio make and it has no problem at all with those classic tones. For me that mid-spike on the Tone Zone is just too prominent, don't get me wrong, it's great for standing out in the mix and it's hard to beat it for flashy, in your face lead guitar...I just don't think it's that great for anything else. The Tone Zone does sound modern, the Breed doesn't really.

Have a listen to the amp clips in my profile, that's a mahogany guitar with Breeds, wouldn't be quite so full-on in the low mids and bass in an alder guitar, should actually be nicely balanced.

Dunno why you think they only come in two colours, Dimarzio do every colour under the sun...my Breeds are chrome topped Also if I recall correctly they actually hold a patent on double cream humbuckers, I don't think anyone else is allowed to sell them.

I might have dreamed that though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dementiacaptain
The super distortion is an option, I know a lot people give them crap, but I think its because people expect modern metal out of it, and it simply doesn't do that. But check it out, you might like it.

I've got a DiMarzio Super Distortion and get modern metal tones out of it. Not the ideal pickup, but I like the way it sounds with my setup.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I've got a DiMarzio Super Distortion and get modern metal tones out of it. Not the ideal pickup, but I like the way it sounds with my setup.

Of course its possible, bad wording on my part, but as you said it may not be ideal for what "that" sound to most people. I understand completely though, as I have said, I use the tone zone for tech death, and I would hardly call that a typical choice for the genre. You aren't the first person I have heard of using the super distortion for modern metal, I just think people get misconceptions about how that pickup is voiced, although I assume anything with the word distortion in it is aimed at 80s style rock
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by dementiacaptain
Of course its possible, bad wording on my part, but as you said it may not be ideal for what "that" sound to most people. I understand completely though, as I have said, I use the tone zone for tech death, and I would hardly call that a typical choice for the genre. You aren't the first person I have heard of using the super distortion for modern metal, I just think people get misconceptions about how that pickup is voiced, although I assume anything with the word distortion in it is aimed at 80s style rock

Yea, I wasn't trying to call you out. I just hate how people categorize pickups for specific genres. Like yea, some pickups are better at certain playing styles than others, but they aren't the be all end all of tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals