Hey guys, im usually in the guitar end of the forums on here.. but the time cometh, im switching instruments for an alternative rock band...

I need advice off all you lovely people to help me pick a new bass.. i love the look of the EB-0 but ive seen it has disastrous review and apparently the neck dive is awful, i also love the look of the Epi' Firebird but im looking for a short scale cause they make the transition much each to me.. but i also love the look of mustang but ive never played or seen one in person..

My budget is below £350..

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks, Sam
Gear:
Danelectro DC59 Modified
Heavily Modded VW Badge Strat
MIJ DS1
Fulltone OCD
EHX Small Clone

Quote by olix95
i suggest you kill your brother, sand down your guitar, and repaint it with his blood
Okay, so Gibson make some nice guitars, right? So, the assumption is, they make some nice basses, yeah? Wrong. Well, not entirely, there's one or two that are decent, but you've to sift through a hell of a lot of garbage before you find them. I've played several epis and owned a couple of Gibsons throughout my "career" and I won't be going there again, it's just not worth the time.

£350... do you need an amp with that too?

I would suggest looking into the Squier VM series, they do Precision basses and Jazz basses, and you'll get a lot more bass for your money than any epiphone will provide. They don't look as flashy, but don't worry about that, they still deliver where it actually matters, and you'll grow to love how they look anyway.
Thanks for your reply man! i heard Gibsons quality control isnt the greatest like and dont but too much thought into making basses, i might took a look at a Squier Mustang..
Gear:
Danelectro DC59 Modified
MIJ DS1
Fulltone OCD
EHX Small Clone

Quote by olix95
i suggest you kill your brother, sand down your guitar, and repaint it with his blood
Squier VM Mustang and Squier Bronco are squier's shortscale basses if i remember correctly. try them out and see if you like it. also, don't hesitate to try full scales. shortscales are not necesarily easier to play, the exist more because for some aspect to their tone than it's size. however you may like them better or not. I strongly suggest you to try both scales.

those squier shortscales are quite popular around here (at least shortscale users tend to like them), though I haven't had the pleasure, yet. however, at that budget you may get a good Vintage Modified Squier (best in the price range, for me) or Classic Vibe Squier (they aren't too different from each other, quality-wise.) Or you could look for a used MIM fender.
still, It's important (and should be inevitable) to try those basses before buy. Try as much as you can!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Ive played full scale basses before and found them quite uncomfortable, i owned a 86' Yamaha RBX300 which was 34" if i remember correctly, but ive also played a Squier VM Jaguar and i was awestruck, it feels natural because ive been playing guitar.. but worry not, i will be trying many different basses, im not one for buying online.. Thankyou for your help
Gear:
Danelectro DC59 Modified
MIJ DS1
Fulltone OCD
EHX Small Clone

Quote by olix95
There are exercises that will help the stretching get easier and more comfortable. I've got tiny hands and I only own and play full scale basses. Peavey makes some decent starter basses but I don't recall ever seeing a short scale Peavey. Jazz basses, and I think Ibanezes have thinner necks which are easier to get smaller / less stretchy hands around too.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Mar 14, 2012,
I play a peavey bxp-ac millenium model, which is probably a little fiddly for a real beginner (I'm no pro, but it takes a while to set up properly....), which cost me about 300gbp, the standard bxp millenium is about 50 quid less. It's fullscale, but ith a real light slender body and a skinny neck and imo plays nicer/easier than the eb-0 that I started off with.
I didn't need to adjust my Zodiac at all. But then I did buy it used, even if it was only three months old at the time. So the first owner may have had it set up.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Being a short scale lover, I love how everyone says try everything and see what you like best. Then soon as they mention short scale everyone immediately tells them how midgets play thunderbirds and it's easy.

If it really is about comfort and feel and general likeability, why the veiled hostility toward the short scale? Yes he probably could learn to handle himself on a P, but in an alternative rock band a mustang isn't exactly a bad thing.

Go ahead, I've owned a mustang and still own a bronco they are nice basses. I've also owned P's and J's and they were great, but just like people get miffed if you don't like using a pick or round wounds on most occasions, I think it's not appropriate to suggest a shorty is cheating yourself out of a real bass.
Quote by askrere
Being a short scale lover, I love how everyone says try everything and see what you like best. Then soon as they mention short scale everyone immediately tells them how midgets play thunderbirds and it's easy.

If it really is about comfort and feel and general likeability, why the veiled hostility toward the short scale? Yes he probably could learn to handle himself on a P, but in an alternative rock band a mustang isn't exactly a bad thing.

Go ahead, I've owned a mustang and still own a bronco they are nice basses. I've also owned P's and J's and they were great, but just like people get miffed if you don't like using a pick or round wounds on most occasions, I think it's not appropriate to suggest a shorty is cheating yourself out of a real bass.

Its not so much that short scales are cheating or that theres any hostility towards them, its more the idea that ts shouldnt limit himself based on scale length. Yes short scales feel different and may be more comfortable for some, but just because he's transfering from guitar doesnt mean he shouldnt explore other options, and lets face it, the short scale market is pretty limited.

If short scale is what floats your boat though ts, then look into the Squier VM Mustang or a used FenderMustang. Much much better than what you're likely to find in Epiphones offerings
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by Tostitos
Its not so much that short scales are cheating or that theres any hostility towards them, its more the idea that ts shouldnt limit himself based on scale length. Yes short scales feel different and may be more comfortable for some, but just because he's transfering from guitar doesnt mean he shouldnt explore other options, and lets face it, the short scale market is pretty limited.

If short scale is what floats your boat though ts, then look into the Squier VM Mustang or a used FenderMustang. Much much better than what you're likely to find in Epiphones offerings

^ That. I have nothing against short scales personally. I've never played one so I have no way to know whether I like them or not. But I do have small hands and the stretching exercises I mentioned have helped me a lot.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by Spaz91
You mean WHICH bass.

Spaz, come on, take it easy...

But, yeah, you mean WHICH bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Spaz91
You mean WHICH bass.

+1

But in all seriousness, I would check out one of the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squiers. Great basses for the price.

Play some and see how you like the feel of them.
Bass:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
Last edited by theKorean at Mar 15, 2012,
Spaz, dont get all Grammar Nazi on me.. I come here looking for advice.. :P Im really quite tall.. like 6ft 4, and the only reason.. is i find the transition easier cause its only a 4.5'' bigger than a guitar.. Ive been thinking i might just put up with the struggle cause i really like the look if the Thunderbird Pro IV.. I still need to find a combo :/ Anyway guys, thanks so much for all your help
Gear:
Danelectro DC59 Modified
MIJ DS1
Fulltone OCD
EHX Small Clone

Quote by olix95
Quote by CJ Noble
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2jrrncar.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2ltmn3ts.html

I'd pick one of those, personally, and maybe a fender rumble to go with it

this coudl help. Generally, SX basses are good for the price, and can be modded to be pretty good. (they are known for featuring shitty electronics...)
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
this coudl help. Generally, SX basses are good for the price, and can be modded to be pretty good. (they are known for featuring shitty electronics...)

Meh... i've really had very little issue with the electronics on my 2 SX basses and 1 SX guitar.

Their stock pickups are actually on the 'good' side of the coin, and i wouldn't really go out of my way to replace them unless i want something really specific. If i was hard pressed to change out ANYTHING, i'd probably swap their bridges out before i effed with the electronics.

The ONLY thing that's been bad on the SX's are the strings they come with. I also don't dig the neck finishes. But that's easy enough with stripping the Orange color, or... like me... just get a Rosewood fretboard.

Other than those issues, their finishes are awesome. The tort guard is actually one of the BETTER tort guards i have seen. The tuners are decent.

My short scale SX Jaguar (J/J) with flats has become my main bass these day.

I also 100% non-ironically like the "non-Fender" SX Headstock.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

I also 100% non-ironically like the "non-Fender" SX Headstock.

At first I was super disappointed in the change to the "furrian" but it's growing on me, It looks better on some basses and guitar than others. Not a fan of it on the Pisces (single coil P bass), but of the only things I'd get from rondo (the Pisces, a TV yellow LP junior Double cut, beatle bass or the rick-esque hollow body) only it has that headstock.

My lust has also been almost lost for a 50's style P bass, because most people replace it with the hotrail pickup for better tone, and that's my bronco. Though tele is my favorite headstock and body shape.
Quote by askrere
Though tele is my favorite headstock and body shape.

Meeeeeee toooooo!!

But, i've NEVER owned a Tele-Bass of any sort...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Meeeeeee toooooo!!

But, i've NEVER owned a Tele-Bass of any sort...

Sorry to disagree with you guys, but telecasters are the most horrid guitars for me... and basses being larger than guitars, makes them even more horrid, cause there is much more awfulness to see... and I particulary hat the tele headstock...

still, if i found that a tele bass sounds greater than any bass i tried, i'd try to get one, and wait till it grows on me
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
Sorry to disagree with you guys, but telecasters are the most horrid guitars for me... and basses being larger than guitars, makes them even more horrid, cause there is much more awfulness to see... and I particulary hat the tele headstock...

still, if i found that a tele bass sounds greater than any bass i tried, i'd try to get one, and wait till it grows on me

Lol, well the squier VM/CV idk which 50's P bass in Lake Placid Blue with maple neck, is the best bass I think besides this 70's jazz in terms of looks in the squier arsenal.

There is a thread discussing the P bass, where a guy took the white pickguard off his, and squier, and they used discreet routing so no holes, or channels. Looks AMAZING without a pickguard, all that LPB and maple.