Hey guys,

I've been playing for a year and I hold my guitar classical style. I was on Justin guitar last night going through some of his videos and he had mentioned that holding the guitar classical style while playing rock style music is bad form and it looks ridiculous.

Should I force myself to hold it the other way? It feels awkward for me. Or do you think it's fine to continue playing in the classical position?
No. Are you going to base the way you hold your instrument on the way one guy saying it looks ridiculous? On the contrary, holding the guitar horizontally (or 'rock style') is actually terrible form. Classical positioning is much more natural.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
^ Thanks for the quick reply. He also had mentioned something about while holding the guitar classical style it makes it difficult to mute the low E string with your thumb while doing open chords.
As far as I can tell, classical position is pretty much superior in every way. It seems to put less stress on your wrist, allow better fret access and it's less likely to **** up your back. I also don't see how it looks ridiculous
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I play both ways and I love classical position for shredding lol do what feels right to you
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
Hey guys,

I've been playing for a year and I hold my guitar classical style. I was on Justin guitar last night going through some of his videos and he had mentioned that holding the guitar classical style while playing rock style music is bad form and it looks ridiculous.

Should I force myself to hold it the other way? It feels awkward for me. Or do you think it's fine to continue playing in the classical position?

Can you post the link to that video? As popular as his lessons are, he doesn't need to be teaching something that is so obviously incorrect.