Hi people. I Just wanna say that this is an awsome site and that I learned a lot from reading on this forums.

Now on to topic. I consider myself a newbie on electrical guitars and guitar techniques, and I have some questions.....

1: I seem to have this problem when playing rhytms that goes fast. I've tried strumming down and up but I can't seem to manage upward strumming (if that's even a technique ). The plectrum kinda gets stuck in between the strings when I strum upwards if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

2: I've heard the term alternate picking. What is that exactly? Is the motion of going down and up on one string? If so, then I got a problem with that as well . I simply can't figure out a way to do this without touching other strings or lose the rhytm.

3: My left hand hurts pretty fast when I'm playing barre chords. It starts in the thumb then moves on to the hand itself. Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

(Sorry for my bad english. Not a native speaker/writer).
Last edited by Freddy X at Mar 14, 2012,
For 1 and 2 I would suggest these things.

1.) The hand tends to want to hesistate on it's way back up when upstrumming. You have to force yourself to slice through the strings. Also, examine the way you're holding the pick if it's too flat that can also hinder how smoothly you'll be able to upstrum. Go slowly, like SNAIL slow and just practice down strum / upstrum. It's not going to come to you naturally but if you try hard enough and practice enough it will fall into place. I used to have problems with this myself, patience young grasshopper .

2.) really the same advice for number 1. Alternate picking can be done on one string or multiple strings it's the practice of picking single notes in a pattern of down/up. Down one note, up the next. The key here I would say is to grab a metronome and go VERY slowly again, SNAIL slow. Then increase speed on the metronome. What really helped me with alternate picking is the major scale. Alternate picking every note on the scale down and up. Just gotta be patient with this. Practice, Practice, Practice. That's the only way to get better, there are no shortcuts with guitar.

3.) I'd have to see how you're posture is, but all I can really advise is if something hurts STOP! You can cause long term injury.
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
For 1 and 2 I would suggest these things.

1.) The hand tends to want to hesistate on it's way back up when upstrumming. You have to force yourself to slice through the strings. Also, examine the way you're holding the pick if it's too flat that can also hinder how smoothly you'll be able to upstrum. Go slowly, like SNAIL slow and just practice down strum / upstrum. It's not going to come to you naturally but if you try hard enough and practice enough it will fall into place. I used to have problems with this myself, patience young grasshopper .

2.) really the same advice for number 1. Alternate picking can be done on one string or multiple strings it's the practice of picking single notes in a pattern of down/up. Down one note, up the next. The key here I would say is to grab a metronome and go VERY slowly again, SNAIL slow. Then increase speed on the metronome. What really helped me with alternate picking is the major scale. Alternate picking every note on the scale down and up. Just gotta be patient with this. Practice, Practice, Practice. That's the only way to get better, there are no shortcuts with guitar.

3.) I'd have to see how you're posture is, but all I can really advise is if something hurts STOP! You can cause long term injury.

Thanks a lot for these advices. I will try to practise the way you said to see if that helps. Also the pain in my left hand tends to show up pretty fast. Is it possible that I am pushing down on the fret the wrong way or simply beacuse I am to tense in my left hand?
Well if you're feeling tense, then I would re-examine your posture. You should always be relaxed while playing. I'm not sure if this helps, but your fretting hand should never be the thing supporting your guitar. It should be loose and free. Aside from that without being able to visually see your posture it would be hard for me to critique / give advice on it. Just remember never be tense, always be relaxed. The guitar is a pleasurable device not a torture device. Just go with the flow.
Sounds like you might not have the hand strength for barre chords and are having to use all of your might to get it to ring correctly. I would take a break from barre chords for a little while or work on them higher up at say the 5th fret or higher and try to do it with minimal tension in the hand.
Quote by pauldawg1177
Sounds like you might not have the hand strength for barre chords and are having to use all of your might to get it to ring correctly. I would take a break from barre chords for a little while or work on them higher up at say the 5th fret or higher and try to do it with minimal tension in the hand.

It could be that the guitar's action is set too high.