I was told that I hold the pick badly, and apparently I can't play fast solo's because of it?

Also when I do fast tremolo picking parts during riffs(I'm talking about like 2 quick palm muted open notes before hitting a power chord), my index finger bends inwards towards the thumb. Is this a bad habit?

Is there something wrong with the way I hold the pick? If so, I need to know so I can immediately start getting it out of habit and learn it properly.

Please refer to this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGNh4SlGy8
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
is it "wrong"? i would say no. have you seen the way some guitar heroes hold the pick? much more awkward and uncomfortable looking than you. the key is to be comfortable while still being able to play effeciently.

make your technique work for YOU, not the other way around. if you try changing your technique, your left/right synchronization could get all out of whack, your accuracy could be off, or you could just be concentrating so hard on one thing, you simply mess up everything else.
what works works man. worry about changing it only if it holds you back sometime.
Quote by Toker420
what works works man. worry about changing it only if it holds you back sometime.

That's the thing, it does work for me and I didn't even think of possibly having to change it until someone told me that I might not be able to do fast solos in the future by holding the pick like that. So idk if it's holding me back until I actually get good enough to play said solos. It doesn't seem to bother me so I guess I'll just keep working on my playing technique instead of the holding technique.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
maybe you are good enough to play those solos and you cant because you cant pick fast enough? can you alternate and economy pick? try doing the old 1-2-3-4 4-3-2-1 up and down every string trick and see how fast you can go before you max out.
Your holding it like how i pick my pick up off the floor. The way your holding the pick is going to restrict what you can do with your picking hand so I suggest you change it. I suggest hold your pick so that you thumb and pointer make a 'cross' so that your pointer finger is pointing in the direction of the pick's point and your thump is perpendicular to your pointer finger. This will give you better grip on the pick and allow you to do some cool stuff like pinch harmonics. I hope this was helpful.
You can try to flex your first finger

I did the switch a while ago, feels akward for a while but more precise right from the start. Just keep on doing it and you'll get back to your current speed and exceed it!
What is with those points of contact? Are you actually making contact with the strings with the side of your thumb and tip of your finger?
random image, points of contact doesn't really matter here. I should've said so!