Uncle Sam hooked me up, and I have a g ($1000) to drop on a amp specifically for metal.

I am really coming down to the wire for a 5150 or 6505.

BUT

What else is there for that price bracket? Any ENGL's, Framus, Mesa's that can be had? I had a Single Rec that didnt cut it, so I am starting to branch out and look for other amps that will suit my needs...

Ideas/thoughts? I was even considering picking up a secondhand 5150 and sending it to FJA...
More gear laying around then I know what to do with, and still buying crap.
Quote by bigajvigs
Uncle Sam hooked me up, and I have a g ($1000) to drop on a amp specifically for metal.

I am really coming down to the wire for a 5150 or 6505.

BUT

What else is there for that price bracket? Any ENGL's, Framus, Mesa's that can be had? I had a Single Rec that didnt cut it, so I am starting to branch out and look for other amps that will suit my needs...

Ideas/thoughts? I was even considering picking up a secondhand 5150 and sending it to FJA...

you can pick up Mesa rectifiers for around a grand easily, not sure about the Framus, and ENGL you'd be hard pushed to find one in the US for that kind of money (i think)

What kind of metal you looking at tho, because that can have a dramatic affect on what amp you should go for tbh. are we talking Djent, tech-deth, death metal etc??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
They are great metal amps, the Peaveys. Can't go wrong with a nice Mesa either! Also, Blackstar gets some killer metal tones
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
5150s are awesome.
But you should also check out the Mesa Mini Rec.
A few other cool amps are: Orange Thunder 30 - HUGE amounts of gain on tap and also sounds better than the others on cleans and classic rock type distortion. As long as you don't mind lower wattage (it's still bloody loud, there's just less headroom) its an awesome amp.
Carvin V3M - my least favorite of the lot because it's just got something about it that I don't like... Maybe there's just too much power in the bass and the midrange. But it's still a great amp and really, really versatile.
Go try the Laney GH100TI. That's the Tony Iommi model. It has more gain than a normal GH. Great sounding amp and you won't sound like every other chugga out there. Go try one and see if it's for you. Personally, I think they sound great.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am looking for an amp to play metalcore/hardcore and maybe some rock. August Burns Red, The Ghost Inside, For the Fallen Dreams, that kinda stuff.

Any thoughts on the new-ish 5150III 50 watt?
5150/6505 is the bread and butter of the genres you posted, if u have EMGs and a 5150, you can pretty much get the exact tone most hardcore bands do.
We can't give any good suggestions without knowing specifically what you play. There's a huge difference between getting an amp for Iron Maiden and getting an amp for The Black Dahlia Murder.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Its over...I just picked up a brand spanking new, in the box 6505+ for $845 shipped. Now to wait for my amp to sell to get my cab
if your limiting to the 5150 or 6505, i find the 5150 has a tad more clarity (except for the fact that they are the same exact amp)

check out the egnater renegade head. pretty sick head had for about a grand
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
if your limiting to the 5150 or 6505, i find the 5150 has a tad more clarity (except for the fact that they are the same exact amp)

check out the egnater renegade head. pretty sick head had for about a grand

That could also be due to what type of tubes it had in it

Beacuse they are the same circut
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thanks for the suggestions but I have a 6505+ coming that I got brand new for a steal