Hi guys, this seems like the right place to post this, if not, could someone please move it to the correct forum? Thanks.

My friend came over yesterday and we jammed. With him he brought his Marshall MG100DFX amp, and he let me try it out. He also tried out my Ibanez GRG 170DX. After playing his amp, I asked if he wanted to sell it and he said he'd sell it to me for $150, the only thing wrong with it that I can tell is that 2 of the effects knobs are missing, this doesn't bother me because I don't use effects, minus distortion. Anyhow, he then said if I ever wanted to sell my Ibanez (I have a PRS SE Singlecut as my main guitar now, I rarely play the Ibanez) and I told him I would glady trade him my Ibanez for his amp, seeing as I don't need it. Would this be a fair trade, for him as well as me? I really dig the amp, but it seems that it has been discontinued by musicians friend, and Long and McQuade here in Canada. Although, I did some research and found that new it would cost me at least twice what I paid for my Ibanez, and used it's still more expensive than my Ibanez.

TL;DR: Is trading my Ibanez GRG 170DX for his Marshall MG 100DFX a good trade on both halves? The amp is missing two knobs (No big deal I can fix that), and both pieces of gear have been well used, but still work fine.
No.

That amp has NO street value, while the guitar at least has some.

That being said, if YOU like it and are comfortable with the trade, where's the harm?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I was actually hard pressed to sell the guitar for $120, which is exactly what I paid for it.

Thanks for the input though, I just need an upgrade from my 15 watt Vox and 2 watt Micro Cube.
Well... you liked the amp, so don't read this as a rule to follow or something like that, but Marshall Mg series haven't got good build quality, and are know to sound thin, and just horrible. Still, if you like it, and you have a guitar you are not using, i don't see why not do the trade. However, I'd suggest you to go to a store and play every other guitar amp that is in the MG100FX price range, so that you do the trade knowing you like it for sure...

Good luck!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
if you are happy then sure why not. the MG is fine for practice or casual jam sessions. don't expect it to be band worthy though. when turned up the sound does get kinda crappy. the MG can be sold to others for at least what you said the guitar is worth (and actually $120 is more than its worth). if your friend is happy then once again it's a good deal.
avoid the mg.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
avoid the mg.

Thank you for providing so much insight.

Quote by monwobobbo
if you are happy then sure why not. the MG is fine for practice or casual jam sessions. don't expect it to be band worthy though. when turned up the sound does get kinda crappy. the MG can be sold to others for at least what you said the guitar is worth (and actually $120 is more than its worth). if your friend is happy then once again it's a good deal.

I appreciate the input. This will be used pretty much exclusively for practice and jam sessions, as I am currently not in a band (except for school band but I use their blues deluxe). My friend and I plan to start a band, but he has equipment I'd be able to use (JCM 900 Head and Marshall cab, assuming our plans come to fruition.) My Vox Pathfinder 10 just can't hold it's own when jamming with my buddies, I figure this amp would be a good choice, as I've only seen two reviews saying it's not worth it or it sucks.

Funny you mention it's only worth about $120, every local kijiji ad for this amp is priced at $230 and above, I thought it was kind of insane to pay that much though.
If you have a budget in mind for getting a new amp we may be able to suggest some alternatives that you might find better suited towards achieving what you want, provided you give us some ideas of the tones you're after. Also if you can provide us with your local craigslist page we can recommend some used options available to you.

I'm personally not a fan of the MG series. I owned one previously when I was just starting out and only really found the clean channel usable, which was alright since I primarily play clean, but even then I didn't hold the amp in high regard.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Generally speaking, the Marshall MG series should be avoided like the plague.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Generally speaking, the Marshall MG series should be avoided like the plague.

+1

I didn't read the details of the trade but unless you are trading some terminal illness for the MG I'd say its a bad deal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
MGs aren't bad, but they aren't great either. If you like it, then go for it - it will certainly be loud enough to jam & gig with

That said, I would recommend you try out other amps before committing. There are always lots of used amps available on sites like eBay, so there's a good chance you'll be able to find something better if you have any money you can put towards it.

If they definitely sell for more than your Ibanez in your country the best advice may be to do the swap, then sell the MG and put the money towards a better quality amp?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
MG's are one of the worst amps I've ever played. I can see some appeal for the small ones for practising at home where you don't really care about your tone but the big ones like the 100 are just dumb.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
If you have a budget in mind for getting a new amp we may be able to suggest some alternatives that you might find better suited towards achieving what you want, provided you give us some ideas of the tones you're after. Also if you can provide us with your local craigslist page we can recommend some used options available to you

My budget is really low right now, hence why I was going to do a trade, I have money for lunches, other than that I'm saving for a laptop. I'm trying to get Trivium, BFMV, Bad Religion, Cancer Bats, LoG, Stone Sour tones. My friend and i were able to get the tones I wanted out of it, but if you could recommend any amps for future reference, that'd be great
Quote by Charvel1995
My friend and i were able to get the tones I wanted out of it.

Then our opinions don't matter. That is all they are - opinions. Everyone's is different. If you can get the sound you want from an amp that you can get a good deal on, there is no reason to listen to what any of us say, just go for it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Charvel1995
My budget is really low right now, hence why I was going to do a trade, I have money for lunches, other than that I'm saving for a laptop. I'm trying to get Trivium, BFMV, Bad Religion, Cancer Bats, LoG, Stone Sour tones. My friend and i were able to get the tones I wanted out of it, but if you could recommend any amps for future reference, that'd be great

There's no way in hell you got a sound anywhere close to any of those bands with an MG... But, if you think you did then that's all that matters. Just realize that in 6 months you're going to start noticing it and you'll want to upgrade. No big loss here if the guitar isn't worth much anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!