I recently installed a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Model in to my Squier strat to get a better tone out of it. After I installed it and turned my amp on to hear it I found it buzzes like its nobody's business. I rewired the pickup and that helped, but only a bit. There are only two ways to get rid of the buzz.

A. Have either no or VERY low gain
or
B. Have the pickup selector in the 4 position.

Like I said my guitar is a Squier Strat ( Squier bullet strat to be more precise)

Amp is a Little Marshall MG15CDR

Could it be the amp? It has fallen a few times.

Thanks in advance.
Even if it isn't the amp, I'd upgrade the amp, and would have upgraded way before spending money on a new pickup.
Did you install the pickup yourself?
I did install the pickup myself. But I think I did I pretty good job. And if youve ever tried to play this guitar through distortion stock, it sounds absolutely disgusting.
In which case then I'd agree with swapping out the pickup. And yeah, sounds like a grounding issue
I dont think it is a grounding issue. I've checked all the cables and whatnot in my guitar and nothings wrong. And no matter where I plug it into it buzzes...even at my friends house.
Either you've wired it so a single coil is always on (either by adding in the neck or middle single coils, or by not completing the coil link of the JB properly so it's constantly split), or you've got your ground going to output.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
its likely a grounding problem.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSS_1v_5w

this isnt exactly your setup, but it works similar and ill explain. the green and silver wires from your pickup need to be soldered to ground, likely on the back of the volume pot. your out jack should also be sodered to that same spot. also make sure the red and white cables are soldered together and taped together. if the problem is abnormal buzz, then this should be the fix.

the fact that it sounded the same through a friends amp says the problem is in your guitars wiring. also if you chaned the pickup on the guitar, i suggest you change that amp also.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by bassistRppl2
I did install the pickup myself. But I think I did I pretty good job. And if youve ever tried to play this guitar through distortion stock, it sounds absolutely disgusting.

Considering you're playing a bullet, you probably have a cheap amp too, which would explain the horrible distortion. Trust me, the amp has a lot more to do with the sound and you'd be better off replacing it.

Once you have a good amp then sure, you can fine tune with pickups and such but just remember, a cheap guitar can sound relatively decent through a nice amp, but even the most expensive and ballsy guitar is going to sound like crap through a crap amp.

As for the buzzing, sounds like ground issues.
Is there a big difference between the volume of the SH-4 and the stock pickups? If so, try lowering it a bit. Does the buzzing change when you touch the strings? bridge? other metal parts of the guitar? If so, probably a grounding issue inside your guitar... maybe a "cold" solder going to ground... that's quite common.... try re soldering everything. Of course, double check your wiring to make sure it is correct. Did you use the wiring diagram that came with the SH-4?
Quote by stormin1155
Does the buzzing change when you touch the strings? bridge? other metal parts of the guitar?Did you use the wiring diagram that came with the SH-4?

Not really, it buzzes just the same. And I did when I first installed it, then I went to the Seymour Duncan website and found a diagram that was for installing it into a Fender guitar, which is why it doesnt buzz as much.
if it buzzes the same on all positions, then it might be that the selector isnt wired correctly. could also be that when you closed the pickguard, some exposed cables might be touching.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Single-coils are known to have lots of issues based on pickup frequency and feedback. Do you use another amp? Have the guitar tested on a different guitar amp to see how the guitar does. If the buzzing still persists, then the guitar pickups are to blame.
Before you change the pickups, check that the guitar plug socket (where you plug in your cable) is still in good condition by checking that all cables connected to the socket is still solid and working. If you are looking for pickups, and you want a very high-quality Hi-Fi-Style pickup with almost no issues, then I highly recommend EMG SA Strat pickups. They are active pickups, which are run by battery, and will help you out on guitar pickup buzz. However, be reminded that you might need to drill and route the back cavity on the guitar to accommodate space for pickup preamp and battery space.
If the amplifier is the problem, then I recommend getting a new valve head for the amplifier. If all else fails, then you can replace the amplifier head.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000