Hi all,
As stated above, I'm looking at a Marshall Valvestate 65R. It's a craigslist deal, and the price is pretty firm at $150. I like how it sounds a lot (I'm upgrading from a Vypyr 15). A problem it has is the volume pot on the clear channel doesn't work properly all the time. When I tried it out, it only decreased the volume to about 30%. It doesn't make it totally quiet. This would be an acceptable minimum volume for me but I'm worried it may be a bigger problem later on. A question I have is how hard is it to replace the volume pot and how much do they cost. I'm pretty handy so I feel I would do it myself if it wasn't too involved. Also, I guess, is this amp worth $150? Thanks
Hi, I personally wouldn't pay $150 for it when it's got a dodgy volume pot (or maybe more, I don't know with these things) I know in Britain you can get the 100 watt version for about £90 if you look hard enough so I dunno...
Ask the guy to haggle on it if I were you
You like the sound of it a lot????? Wow. I don't know how to respond to that apart from, "maybe you should see an otolaryngologist."

You have to lift the PCB out to change a pot. It's a bit of a pita but not that hard. Take photos as you go so to help you remember where everything went. Ah, thank Apollo for digital cameras.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by joer526
the clear channel

The clear channel? :') I think you mean clean. And valvestates are crap, I used to have one, it sounded horrible, don't get it.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Cathbard
You like the sound of it a lot????? Wow. I don't know how to respond to that apart from, "maybe you should see an otolaryngologist."

You have to lift the PCB out to change a pot. It's a bit of a pita but not that hard. Take photos as you go so to help you remember where everything went. Ah, thank Apollo for digital cameras.

You know, I was debating putting that in there so as not to get responses like this. I have 1 year of playing under my belt, not decades like all the people on here like you that feel you need to give your opinion. If I've learned anything, it's that it needs to sound good TO ME. I will only ever play in my home for myself or my friends/family, not the concert millions that you obviously play to. Since you are so knowledgeable about great sound, could you recommend an amp for less than $200 that will give a great, full sounding clean tone?

Thank you for the second part, however, for the info that I was really looking for.
Quote by Any7423
The clear channel? :') I think you mean clean. And valvestates are crap, I used to have one, it sounded horrible, don't get it.

Yes I did mean clean, thanks. For what I'm using it for (home practice) I thought it sounded good. the Vypyr15 I have just doesn't give a full enough sound.
A Vyper would be a far better choice than a Valvestate and be within your budget.
And don't get cocky. I gigged for almost 30 years and have played to audiences of 2 or 3 thousand in my time. Concert millions? Don't be a douche, I've probably forgotten more about amps than you'll ever learn..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 14, 2012,
I'm not being a douche. I asked a question seeking tech help and I got an opinion about the sound of an amp. I appreciate all the help I get on here, but isn't it ok if it sounds good to me? Since I'm primarily the only one that would hear it, I'm really the only one that matters, right? If you really wanted to give that kind of unsolicited opinion, wouldn't "Hey, that VS might sound good to you, but have you heard a ______, it's in the same price range" be more helpful?
It was a light-hearted dig, even followed with a AND I answered your actual question as well. I know a bit about Valvestates inside and out. I expressed my opinion about something I know quite a bit about.
Buy whatever crap you want, I really don't give a shit. Pull your head in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unfortunately for both of us, there's no way to sound lighthearted on a forum. Sarcasm is tough too. Like I said before, I appreciate all the info I get on this site, but you do have a holier than thou tone to your posts.
Wtf do you think the was for, dumbass? How much more clear could it have been?
Bye now, thanks for coming.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by joer526
Since you are so knowledgeable about great sound, could you recommend an amp for less than $200 that will give a great, full sounding clean tone?
That is a very subpar amp, for any occasion, and especially for describing "full sounding clean tones". The Vypyr you have gives way better tones than that ancient SS could dish.What sorts of cleans are you going for? What gear will you use through it (Guitar, pedals, etc)?

There's plenty of options at $200 if you look around, you don't have to settle with that pathetic excuse of an amp. Depending on your definition of "cleans"..
-A bigger Vypyr might be a good choice
-Fender Mustang amp
-Sunn Alpha (if you don't mind going for an older amp)

Or if you wanted to go tube (which I'd recommend)..
-Crate V18 would work as well.
-Jet City JCA20 combo

You might be able to find a Silverface Fender Champ for about $250 if you stick with it. It's a bit of a longshot but that would be a fantastic clean amp if you're not gigging it. Once you crank it to loud volumes it starts breaking up from being 5W. It will be plenty loud for home practice with clean tones however.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 14, 2012,
Do you know how to solder and have a soldering iron? Because older amps with pots attached to the circuit board frequently have cracked solder joints and sometimes mimic bad pots. Your problem doesn't sound like a cracked solder joint, but you should touch up all solder pads on jacks and pots while you are in there replacing the pot.

Given the problem you stated on that amp I wouldn't pay more than $75 tops, assuming I wanted the amp. The only completed listing on eBay was $99. If I were you I would keep and eye on Craigslist and come back for advice when you see something. A used Fender Super Champ XD would give you some good cleans. Even an external cab would probably do wonders for your Vypyr, which IMO has some nice cleans. You can always use the cab in the future.