So I'm buying my first head after years and years of combo'ing, and I think I have settled on the Blackstar HT Stage. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether I shoulud buy the 100watt or 50 watt version.

I gig 4/5 times a month, bigger venues that need bigger amps have PA's and smaller clubs wont need more than a 50w tube amp, so whats the real benefit of getting the 100?

Ill be using other peoples cabs, are both compatible with most cabs? Whats the deal with ohms?!

Thanks very much.
I've played everything from tiny bars to huge outdoor gigs with a 60W amp. You just have to keep up with the drummer, it does that with ease. 50 or 60W is a good gigging sized amp. If you have a loud drummer you can even coax some power amp distortion out of them if you want to.
Now as to whether I'd use a HT ....... well, no. Fizzy pieces of junk imo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so a 50w head will work with all cab types though right?

fizzy junk?! what do you reccomend for a £600 budget
A used JCM800 or DSL if you can find one in that pricerange there. If playing metal grab a 6505. If blues a JTM45 clone of some type. Also worth looking around for a used Ultra/XXX/JSX.

Really what you should have done was give us this info:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

And yes, I've used 2x12, 4x12 and 6x12 cabs. A 50W tube amp will drive anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 14, 2012,
50W is good if you might possibly want some power tube breakup, or possibly some slightly dirty cleans. 100W is good if you want to keep power tube breakup out of your sound, and want pristine cleans.

Oversimplified - 50W for a more "old school" sound, 100W for more "modern" sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cathbard, I'm not to keen on getting used ones as this money took a very long time to save, so I want something future proof. I know thats harsh on used amps suggesting they're always going to break, but I really want a gurantee with it. Thank you for the cab info

The Laney looks like a bit of a metal monster; I'm looking for something more versatile.
Quote by guitar_mad_ali
Cathbard, I'm not to keen on getting used ones as this money took a very long time to save, so I want something future proof. I know thats harsh on used amps suggesting they're always going to break, but I really want a gurantee with it. Thank you for the cab info

The Laney looks like a bit of a metal monster; I'm looking for something more versatile.

Main word being looks. It is very versatile. Just because they made it look metal doesn't mean it can't do anything else. While i agree it is orientated around metal, the clean channel is quite good aswell.
You think a new Chinese amp is going to future-proof you more than a used British one? Really? I would have thought that if it took you a long time to save the money you'd want to get the most bang for your buck. A JCM800 will still be going strong when all the new Chinese amps have turned to dust.

Answer the questions asked in that link I posted otherwise all this is just pissing in the wind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you can get a laney gh50L for that

worth considering if you want to go new
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Main word being looks. It is very versatile. Just because they made it look metal doesn't mean it can't do anything else. While i agree it is orientated around metal, the clean channel is quite good aswell.

+1
I found them surprisingly versatile, looks can be deceiving.
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can get a laney gh50L for that

worth considering if you want to go new

I thought they were more expensive than that now. In that case, excellent suggestion. Makes a HT look like a tin can and a piece of string.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've played everything from tiny bars to huge outdoor gigs with a 60W amp. You just have to keep up with the drummer, it does that with ease. 50 or 60W is a good gigging sized amp. If you have a loud drummer you can even coax some power amp distortion out of them if you want to.

But what if the venue is bigger? Won't I need more volume to 'fill' the venue? Why would the drummer matter? The TS was talking about guitar volumes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
But what if the venue is bigger? Won't I need more volume to 'fill' the venue? Why would the drummer matter? The TS was talking about guitar volumes.

You're taking the piss aren't you? If the drummer fills the venue and you are the same volume as him you'll fill it too. Now I know you know this so get back in your box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by guitar_mad_ali

Used stuff is always better. I'd be willing to bet that more new stuff fails than used stuff. Especially Chinese stuff. If it's used, that means it's guaranteed to work, besides minor stuff (tubes, etc..) I can't tell you how many times I've seen threads here about brand new stuff being broken out of the box/from the factory.

And besides, Chinese stuff is cheap. European/American amps are built much, much better. Like Cathbard said, a good amp will kick around for decades. Cheap amps are likely to fail/need repair (non tube issues) sometime in their lives.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
I thought they were more expensive than that now. In that case, excellent suggestion. Makes a HT look like a tin can and a piece of string.

yeah. the prices here have shot up, but a couple of places still have them under his budget, including thomann.

i'm starting to feel very pleased that i got mine for less than £400 when i see the prices now. Even at the time the prices had started to go up, but nowhere near as bad as they are now
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
You think a new Chinese amp is going to future-proof you more than a used British one? Really? I would have thought that if it took you a long time to save the money you'd want to get the most bang for your buck. A JCM800 will still be going strong when all the new Chinese amps have turned to dust.

Answer the questions asked in that link I posted otherwise all this is just pissing in the wind.

LOL.. I got a Fender Twin that was built in late 1973, bought new in Jan or feb of '74, gigged with regularly (even used as both a guitar amp and bass amp... at the same time for a year or two) I got it when my Grandfather, the original owner, died.... I gig with mine, I've had it retubed and re capped once (the only time it has been done).. $200.00 US or so...

let see... that makes her a cool 38 years old... Still got the original Fender speakers in it...

I'd buy a good quality "Used Amp" over a new "less expensive" amp any day....

Oh.. the Answer is a 50 watt will probably do what you need it to do... but 100 watts isn't going to be much louder, but you'll have more headroom... and both will keep up with the drummer...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard

This is odd, maybe I have the only non-fizzy HT in the world. Got perfect matching tones with our other guitarists 6505+ last night. And to top it, the HT has a better clean channel

To the OP, the 50 is PLENTY.
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DKMG (81/85)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960a
Boss GT-8 4cm