Which way is the right way to have the middle pickup, I know it probably wouldn't make much difference, but I've seen it both ways, I've noticed jimmy page had the screws to the top, but theres been some pics where it's been the other way round, does it make that much difference?
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
If you turn it around, you put it out of phase with the other pickups, changing the sound between the two selected pups. Peter Green mod.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
If you turn it around, you put it out of phase with the other pickups, changing the sound between the two selected pups. Peter Green mod.

Wrong.

Peter Green DID have the neck pickup with screw side towards the bridge, but that's not how the Peter Green mod happened. The pickup is put out of phase by flipping the magnet itself (turning it over), not turning it around. Peter Green's pickup was either rewound or the magnet was flipped when it was reassembled after it had stopped working at some point.
Which way around you place a humbucker usually doesn't matter much, though it can have a drastic effect with some special kinds of humbucker where the two coils are constructed very differently. For example, the Seymour Duncan P-Rail has one coil made like a rail single coil and one coil made like a P-90; switching the orientation doesn't effect the tone of the P-90 part much, but it effects the tone of the rail coil drastically and this in turn can effect the balance of the series humbucker tone. On the other hand, a standard pickup like the SD JB, where both coils are more or less identical, isn't going to sound different just by spinning it around 180 degrees.

Pickups in the middle of a Les Paul are usually the same type as the neck pickup is, so the standard way to install it is with the screws towards the front, like the neck pickup usually is. However, it really shouldn't matter with most pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I didn't think it did much, they are the standard epiphone humbuckers so the neck and middle are the same pickup, so I'm guessing it might of just been by accident or something, oh and by the way if anyone has a 3 pickup les Paul or sg I strongly suggest fitting a free way 6 way toggle, I've just recently done it and I'm over the moon with the sounds I can get
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius