Hey guys, here's my new Carvin DC800! I think this one is pretty special, it really turned out amazing.

Let's start with a video, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Y8oryd8cE

And of course, pics! You can download hi-res versions of these shots here
Download Carvin DC800.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Specs are:

- all tung oil finish
- alder wings
- flame neck through
- burl maple top
- birdseye maple fingerboard
- abalone diamond inlays
- jumbo stainless steel frets
- wooden knobs
- ivory graphtec nut
- white pearloid Sperzel buttons
- abalone Carvin logo
- Dunlop straplocks

There's a lot to say about this guitar. I originally ordered this one since I was sick of waiting for my Bernie Rico custom order, and really needed an 8 string, so purchased this one.
My expectations weren't super high, but this instrument has really exceeded all of them, BY FAR.

I really cannot say anything bad about the guitar, the woods are epic and overall build quality is on par with the top gamers imho.
Fret access is unreal and it plays like a breeze. Fretwork is incredibly good, superior to many other high-end guitars I had in the past.
The neck shape is very similar to regular JP7s, only just a bit meatier and of course wider due to the 8th string.
The guitar is not harsh/trebly at all, but rather resonant and meaty. Elixir strings have more tension and I can drop E with a 68 just fine.
It also handles tuning like nothing else, if I pick a string really hard while tuning it, the tuner stays absolutely firm and doesn't oscillate, unbelievable.

Only things I don't like that much are Sperzel's pearloid white buttons (I think I just prefer the black ones aestethically) and the pickups are very weird: these are very high output pickups that are super sensitive to height placement, the voicing is kinda weird but they definitely sound like actives. They're not bad at all, but maybe I'm just used to Bareknuckles. These are so different I had to build a new Axe Fx II preset from the ground, rather than tweaking my existing ones.

If you have an Axe Fx II, you might be interested on the preset I've built specifically for this guitar, which you can download here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5864881/Chuggah_v2.syx
Bear in mind, it's VERY dry and made for really high output pickups like these, it doesn't work well with my other guitars.

I hoped you liked this NGD, now lemme go back shreddin it!
Last edited by Frak at Mar 16, 2012,
Good GOD that is sexy...
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Happy NGD, that looks amazing!
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Ehhh...it's OK.

Who am I kidding? That's a BEAUTY!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
HNGD! Beautiful guitar Now if you'll excuse me I have something I have to take care of... >.>

*leaves to browse Carvin site*
gorgeous!!!! ive been waiting on this ngd for a while now, but youve just been teasing us at ssorg. that flamed neck looks stunning!!!

thats interesting about the pickups being so height sensitive. i havent messed with the height at all yet, and i probably wont the way things are going

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Nice man. I have a Carvin on order as well, can't wait. Hope it looks as good as yours.
DAT BURL...*fangirl squea-ing*

That is TOO nice, sir. HNGD!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by SYLrules88
gorgeous!!!! ive been waiting on this ngd for a while now, but youve just been teasing us at ssorg. that flamed neck looks stunning!!!

thats interesting about the pickups being so height sensitive. i havent messed with the height at all yet, and i probably wont the way things are going

Yeah I find the factory setup was amazing, I just messed a bit with the truss rod and changed the pickups' height slightly, but didn't touch the bridge saddles at all.
wow that's awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Holy shit. That's probably the most beautiful all natural guitar I've ever seen. Wow. I'm truly speechless. HNGD! I am very jealous
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie

And thanks for the Axe ii preset and tasty HD vid. <3

Just quickly, are you based in the US or did you have to pay shipping and customs on that beast? Presumably still worth it if you did?
Quote by Freepower

And thanks for the Axe ii preset and tasty HD vid. <3

Just quickly, are you based in the US or did you have to pay shipping and customs on that beast? Presumably still worth it if you did?

I'm not US based, this is probably the only DC800 in Europe. I have a friend in Miami which helps me when I have to buy/order stuff overseas.

Glad you like 'em!
HNGD. Like the diamond inlays and that flame, though sadly for me burl and birdseye maple make me feel ill. Certainly a very attractive rear though
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
On a side note, I've made a mistake: the Axe Fx II preset I've attached on the original post is not my final version, but an earlier version that is missing an EQ block and many other fine tweakings on amp block 2 and cabs. I'll upload the right version when I'm back home.
I thought the patch was a little dry and harsh even though I'd been warned. Had a bit of fun with this one, looking forward to the next.

Quote by Frak
I'm not US based, this is probably the only DC800 in Europe. I have a friend in Miami which helps me when I have to buy/order stuff overseas.

Glad you like 'em!

Ah, I was wondering about the US/EU pricepoint, I suppose that's a way around it.
HNGD! how much you pay?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
that is sexy. very very sexy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.