Hey hey hey guys,

As the title says, I'm looking for a cheapish electro-acoustic; I've got some ideas, but thought I'd share them and also ask for any advice that people have!

I'm in the UK, budget of AROUND £200!

Genres: Anything from Last Shadow Puppets to Mumford+Sons to just general fiddling around making noise!

Here are what I have looked at so far..

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40522-fender-t-bucket-300-ce-transparent-black-rosewood.html#sterling_uk

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/washburn-wmj20sce-electro-acoustic-guitar--87024

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/15755-ibanez-aeg8e-electro-acoustic-natural-.html

Suggestions welcome!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Get the Washburn. Trust me, you do not want the other ones. Fender and Ibanez acoustics are terrible. You are aware of humidity and stuff, right? Think this Washburn is a laminated back, check it out to make sure.
what makes them terrible ?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Get the Washburn. Trust me, you do not want the other ones. Fender and Ibanez acoustics are terrible. You are aware of humidity and stuff, right? Think this Washburn is a laminated back, check it out to make sure.

I dunno, I just got a Fender T-bucket for $300.00 US... the electronics are crisp, the tuner is accurate, it stays in tune and plays great... It's no Taylor, but it's a nice little guitar... I'll gig with it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
how's the action papabear? i really want quite a low action..the POS i have now has insanely high action and i can't play bar chords comfortably at all!

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
how's the action papabear? i really want quite a low action..the POS i have now has insanely high action and i can't play bar chords comfortably at all!

the action was a little high when I played it in the store... but so was the $2000.00 Taylor sitting next to it (at least higher than I expected on a guitar of that cost).. The guy that I bought it from set it up for free, which included trimming the bridge down a little(lowering the action) and polishing the new off the frets.. now it's almost as low as my Les Paul.. Plays easy and sounds great. I Love it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 14, 2012,
out of your list, i'd definitely go for the t-bucket, but if you can stretch a little higher, i'd suggest the yamaha fx370c, which is available in these three finishes:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/56654-yamaha-fx370c-electro-acoustic-guitar-natural.html
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/56653-yamaha-fx370c-electro-acoustic-guitar-black.html
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/56655-yamaha-fx370c-electro-acoustic-guitar-tobacco-brown-sunburst.html
btw, if you're curious, my preferences are based on tone and quality control.

if you prefer very low action, chances are no matter what guitar you buy, you'll need to get it set up - i usually do. Papabear505 may have things a little confused - you don't touch the bridge; it's the nut and saddle that are lowered, and it can make a huge difference in playability. it's well worth having a pro do the work, i can't tell you what a difference it made to my playing quality and enjoyment to have lower action on the right guitar.

good luck, and be sure and let us know what you decide
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
Papabear505 may have things a little confused - you don't touch the bridge; it's the nut and saddle that are lowered, and it can make a huge difference in playability.

Papabear watched a guitar technitian that was setting up guitars proffessionally for a lot of years (since 1967) set up his guitar... he wasn't confused at all... (He knew better than to try and do that himself...LOL)

I said bridge.. (I'm mainly an electric player) The plastic piece that the strings sit on (the saddle) needs to be lowered...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 14, 2012,
not all fenders are alike. my experience is that the ones with maple involved or with normal acoustic headstocks sound better than the others. the ovation you suggest has better bass than the shallow bowl models.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I would never buy a shallow ovation. I hate most cheap fender guitars. If anyone wants a badass guitar get a gx by Composite Acoustics. Its not cheap but it is virtually indestructible. lol my baby.
i have a cc44 and a gc057m. as far as the mid depth ovation goes, i'm not that impressed with the gc057m. i got it for the :Blonde" to play on. not a bad guitar but as far as ovations go, spend a little more and get out of the celebrity series. the USA built Elites are light years ahead.
that's my experience, also. a solid top makes a huge difference, and there must be bracing differences, 'cause my husband's solid top elite T doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the al dimeola model i almost bought.

Quote by stepchildusmc
i have a cc44 and a gc057m. as far as the mid depth ovation goes, i'm not that impressed with the gc057m. i got it for the :Blonde" to play on. not a bad guitar but as far as ovations go, spend a little more and get out of the celebrity series. the USA built Elites are light years ahead.

yeah, composite acoustics are awesome guitars, with tons more tone than one would expect. i haven't tried one of the peavey-made ones, mine was one of the old ca's - is yours one of the new ones or the originals?

Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I would never buy a shallow ovation. I hate most cheap fender guitars. If anyone wants a badass guitar get a gx by Composite Acoustics. Its not cheap but it is virtually indestructible. lol my baby.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Anything that doesn't say, "all solid back or sides", doesn't have an all solid back and/or sides. The detective work there shouldn't present much difficulty.

You shouldn't compare apples to oranges. Fender has a couple of nice solid top guitars.

Many Ibanez AE guitars have feed back suppression built in. that means stiffer bracing, and altered primary resonance. Accordingly, and the same as it is with a $1000.00 (or more,) shallow bowl Ovations, for best results, you have to plug them in.
Thanks for the advice patticake- I was leaning more towards the Fender myself because for a start it just looks awesome, and I've played a few Fender acoustics before and they were nice!

I'll certainly have a look at that Yamaha though, thanks for the suggestion - I think I can stretch another £28

Quote by cornmancer
Have you considered actually going to a shop and trying them? That's the only way you can decide which one YOU like, the rest is just someone else's opinion.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you considered actually going to a shop and trying them? That's the only way you can decide which one YOU like, the rest is just someone else's opinion.

Of course yeah, I always go and try before I buy, just wanted opinions

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by patticake
that's my experience, also. a solid top makes a huge difference, and there must be bracing differences, 'cause my husband's solid top elite T doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the al dimeola model i almost bought.?
Running the risk of getting into trouble for pointing this out, Ovation's business model always has been to glue the sticks to the soundboards at different angles, then insist the axe was worth 500 bucks more because of it.

If it was a consumer oriented business model, you'd think they'd use the bracing pattern which sounded best for each individual offering.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2012,