I was wondering if there are any things i can do to improve the sound quality of my room i record in without spending much money, and what effects the sound quality.
Can these things effect the sound/ improve the sound.
- Memory foam that you put on a bed put up on the wall (will this help?)
- having more things in the room like book shelfs and dressers, opposed to having the room empty
- Do blankets on the walls help better than memory foam?

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to improve my rooms sound quality as cheap as possibly feel free to let me know.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Replace the walls with marshmallows.

If you're not willing to go that far, yes, foam on the walls will reduce high-frequency reflections. Things in the room that break the flat surfaces of walls will reduce standing waves somewhat. If you can, leave doors and windows open--the extra air outside the room will soften standing waves, giving a clearer, less colored sound.

The most important thing is to listen. There will be places in the room where everything sounds better. Find them and put the mics there.

If after everything's said and done the room still doesn't sound good, find another room. Remember that this is not something you can fix with EQ. Recording in a bad-sounding room is an irreparable blight on your music, and it's not worth it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Blankets don't do anything. It's about high frequency absorption. i.e you need material and depth of said material to absorb the sound.

Just build your own. Google it. $75-100 a panel.

Problem is science doesn't care about your budget.
You can build panels for way cheaper than that. I spend just under $300 (I had to buy some tools too- and the fabric I used was a little more expensive than necessary) and built three bass traps and four reflection panels.

Depending on how thick the blankets are they will absorb some low-mid frequencies but not bass. They can help tame slapback reflections which helps.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
Blankets don't do anything. It's about high frequency absorption. i.e you need material and depth of said material to absorb the sound.

Just build your own. Google it. $75-100 a panel.

Problem is science doesn't care about your budget.

Damn, you're building some expensive panels...

I'm building mine right now and I'm at:

15-4x"x24"x48" Roxul RHT40 panels = $150
1 sheet of Birch Ply (I'm making some pretty fancy panels) = $55
25 yards of Muslin @ 1.97/yd (Walmart) = $50

Total = ~$255

Divided by 15 panels = $17 a panel.

If you don't have the tools, or time, to make them yourself, I happened across these guys the other day:

http://lasoundpanels.com/

Without a doubt, the cheapest I've ever seen.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Here is a link to my panel construction pics. Some instructions are in the captions for the pictures. I think I spent about $200 and built about a dozen panels of varying sizes.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105151472351939734946/albums/5666851243565868161?authkey=CMqj8aqgrZKZDQ

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As far as being cost effective, building your own acoustic panels is the best option. I built 6 panels for my control room and plan on adding more. All 6 panels are 4" deep and I already have experienced a huge improvement in my mixes.

Download the PDF at this link and follow the instructions: www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf

I bought two sets of these: ATS Insulation

Then I got some wood from Lowes for frame backers. They cut the wood for me there.

After that I got some fabric from Hobby Lobby. I don't remember how much though.

Overall it was just under $200 for 6 4" panels. Good luck!
Those are almost exactly like mine! Technically, they aren't bass traps - rather, broadband absorbers, but the difference in my room is amazing too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Dude, it really depends on what exactly do you want to record and the gear you use.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.