So I'm trying to train my ear since I guess it seems like a good skill to have but I'm not sure where to start. I thought I'd start simple and tried white room by cream. I managed to get the main riff pretty close, was off by a half step on one chord but it's a little hard to hear everything clearly so I'm wondering if anyone has some simple and easy to hear songs that I could start on?

Oh, I've done some simple melodies too, like yankee doodle and such but I'm looking for some more blues or rock type stuff.
first off, don't transcribe just the chords. transcribe the melody. transcribe the bass line. etc. see how the chords connect and how the melody is related to the chords.

but most rock songs are really easy.

as for what to transcribe? whatever you like. whatever moves you. one, because you'll remain dedicated to transcribing it even when it becomes tedious. two, because when something speaks to you musically, figuring out how to hear it and play it develops your "inner musician" you could call it. it gradually wakes up the thing inside of you that knows what it likes and what it doesn't, and transcribing what you like will help you cut to the chase of learning to play how you hear. the thing is you just have to listen constantly to different stuff to keep yourself from getting stale.

now there's also a good argument for transcribing anything you hear. but there's only a small window in life where you have time for that.

i transcribed this song the other night in about 10 minutes. it might take you longer, it might not. that's the other thing. this process can be a pain in the ass. so was learning to walk. but now you don't even think about it. the more you do it, the less tedious it is.

http://vimeo.com/32557153
my advice is learn to sing it first without the recording.
#DTWD
Do pop tunes. Or punk tunes.
Usually have a pentatonic melody with only 3 or 4 chords.

Tigers Jaw
Off With Their Heads
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!

all good bands to start with
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol