I have a Blackstar Ht5 and I can't get enough distortion out of my gain channel.
But I want a pedal that I can play heavy/thrash metal with (Slayer/Vio-Lence, and the like)On the clean channel.
I posted a similar thread like this but I didn't get many answers.
So I'm thinking either a Boss Metal Core ML-2 or a Digitech Death Metal.
Are these some good pedals or do you have any other suggestions?
All answers will be appreciated!
Last edited by TerriThrash at Mar 14, 2012,
I'd recommend getting a weaker pedal and cranking it rather than having a stronger pedal on lower level. So a Ds1 or 2. Not an expert though, wait for more opinions.
Get an overdrive pedal (Not distortion, overdrive). It fattens up the tone and pushes the tubes harder for that bit more gain you need. Look into things like tubescreamers, MXR GT-ODs, etc. In my experience, running distortion pedals on top of gain channels lead to a lot of noise and just a crappy tone in general. The Blackstar's tone is good for metal, but if you just want more then get an OD.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at Mar 14, 2012,
The thing is thought that I don't need the the high gain pedals on the gain channel. I want to use it on the clean channel and be able to switch. Thats why I'm skeptical on overdrive pedals for thrash.
+1 on getting an overdrive, assuming the solid state shenanigans in an ht5 don't prevent that from working as well as it does with a real tube amp (never tried one)

EDIT: well yeah an od isn't going to work on the clean channel for thrash, but the problem is most pedal pedals sound like ass on the clean channel.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely, definitely do not get that Digitech pedal. It's absolute garbage.

If you're considering an ML-2, honestly you'd probably be better off getting the MT-2 instead. It's a lot more geared towards the thrash sound than the ML-2 is.

Line 6 Uber Metal could also do what you're looking for, though I'm honestly not much of a fan myself.
Last edited by The Last Dandy at Mar 14, 2012,
Those pedals are both shit. Get a Hardwire TL-2.

What is your budget? The best thing to do is always to simply get an amp that can do what you need.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Remember, more distortion is not always better.

Even bands with a heavy sound (Death, Slayer, Venom) don't use as much as you'd think.

Hell, most of Chuck Schuldiner's (Death) sound came from his X2N bridge pick up.

Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom keeps his amp gain at 4 and uses his signature pick up's gain booster (which is great. I'd recommend it.)
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Last edited by jeleopard at Mar 14, 2012,
A Maxon OD808 will get you to Cannibal Corpse and Entombed (or a ts9).
If you want a little more, probably an OCD.

The HT5 gain at around 1 O'clock - and my boost gain at 12 O'Clock/volume cranked, gets me to Slayer w/passive pickups.
Don't forget, an overdrive in front of a HT-5 is actually an OD in front of an OD in front of a tube. It's not going to behave quite the same as an OD in front of a real tube amp. Doesn't mean it won't work though, SRV used to stack tubescreamers.

The Barber Dirty Bomb may get you where you want to go. Could be a little too heavy though. I'd go try one 'twer I you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jeleopard
Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom keeps his amp gain at 4 and uses his signature pick up's gain booster (which is great. I'd recommend it.)

Last I checked you'd need either a Laiho signature guitar, or the signature EMG HZ to get the MM-04.

Also, Alexi Laiho uses a Lee Jackson preamp to push the front end of his amp. It's not purely his boosted pups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The best cheap distortion pedal is probably the TL2. IIRC its about a hundred dollars?

There are good distortion pedals, but they get pricey. Pricey enough that getting a new amp would suit your needs better. Pedals like the Barber Dirty Bomb, Wampler SLOstortion, Suhr Riot, Wampler Triple Wreck can eun you anywhere from 150-300. At that price, something like a used small tube amp or modeller is better. A JCA20 should suit early thrash well, and can easily be found for 300 and less used. Something like a used Laney AOR or a Vypyr Tube should also suit the bill. The Blackstar HT5 isnt a bad amp, just not one for the uber br00tz. Its best at doing hard rock, from my experience, rather than metal.
Quote by ragingkitty
Last I checked you'd need either a Laiho signature guitar, or the signature EMG HZ to get the MM-04.

Wrong.

Alexi Laiho's signature ESP does not come with his signature pickup (although Hetfield's Snakebyte now comes with the Het-Set...). It's a passive with the MM-04.

The signature pickup, however, is a passive with an active gain booster.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/223/148/1
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by Cathbard
Don't forget, an overdrive in front of a HT-5 is actually an OD in front of an OD in front of a tube. It's not going to behave quite the same as an OD in front of a real tube amp. Doesn't mean it won't work though, SRV used to stack tubescreamers.

yep i mean i stack two ods into my laney and it works fine. just worth bearing in mind in case it doesn't.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
The best cheap distortion pedal is probably the TL2. IIRC its about a hundred dollars?

There are good distortion pedals, but they get pricey. Pricey enough that getting a new amp would suit your needs better.

i dunno about that, with the likes of joyo you can get pretty nice dists now for not too much. whether or not they'll actually do what he wants, though, is the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jeleopard
Wrong.

Alexi Laiho's signature ESP does not come with his signature pickup (although Hetfield's Snakebyte now comes with the Het-Set...). It's a passive with the MM-04.

The signature pickup, however, is a passive with an active gain booster.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/223/148/1

Hey stupid. Before you go around starting your posts with WRONG, LEARN TO READ.

I never said his signature guitar comes COMES WITH HIS SIGNATURE PICKUP.

Look here.
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/

Look at ALL THE IMAGES of Alexi Laiho on stage. Tell me where do you not see the MM-04 preamp booster switch on the signature guitar he uses. He does use the American signature designs at all, it's just a marketing gimmick, and not the actual signature he uses consistently.

Goddamn it I don't get this superiority complex all you noobers have on UG, going around putting people down instead of pointing out errors or mistakes. Get a life or go practice guitar instead of highlighting when others are wrong. doing it doesn't make you big. It only labels you as another douche.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 15, 2012,
I wouldn't say you need more distortion so much as better technique. I used to think I'd need gobs of distortion, but all that does is cover up how much of a shitty player people can be. Besides, when you're agile and precise, it tends to stick out more with less distortion. Try that in a very high gain mode, and it's not going to sound very impressive.
^But high levels of precision with high gain can sound pretty awesome. Ola uses way more gain that I would ever use, and he sounds epic. Petrucci does the same, 8/10 on a Mark IV IMO is a bit excessive. But hes a clean as hell palyer, so it sounds less gainy than it actually is.

However, thats not the point of the OP.TS doesnt like his current pedal, and wants better tone, not more gain. Also, his amp is a pretty low gain amp, hence the need for a pedal.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^But high levels of precision with high gain can sound pretty awesome. Ola uses way more gain that I would ever use, and he sounds epic. Petrucci does the same, 8/10 on a Mark IV IMO is a bit excessive. But hes a clean as hell palyer, so it sounds less gainy than it actually is.

agreed. this "too much gain just covers up sloppy playing" is an over-simplification at best.

heck i can generally play more cleanly with less gain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. this "too much gain just covers up sloppy playing" is an over-simplification at best.

heck i can generally play more cleanly with less gain.

Agreed again. You got good points all over the place today.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get high gain pickups for your guitar.

BTW, dont be dumb. More gain does not cover your faults, it actually makes them even more audible so you gotta play more clear.
Last edited by cemges at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
Agreed again. You got good points all over the place today.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?