Looking for a Nirvana-esque (more Bleach/Utero than Nevermind) kinda sound which I can later mold into my own thing. Obvious choices are Boss DS1, 2, Rat and Big Muff. Any advice on those or others?

Chars.
Rat's probably your best choice out of those for Bleach tone. I've got one of those, a DS-1, and a Sunn Beta Lead (the amp Kurt used on Bleach) and it doesn't seem to really matter much which guitar I run through that setup; it still comes out sounding like Bleach. That could be the amp more than anything, though.

The Rat's noticeably fuzzier/grittier than the DS-1, for sure. There's always the DOD Grunge, though that's a pretty polarizing pedal.
Quote by MissingNumber
Thanks, both.
Amp is a VoxAC30.

I'm pretty sure one of the guys in Foo Fighters uses a Rat and an AC30. It should sound good.
Quote by Polar13
I'm pretty sure one of the guys in Foo Fighters uses a Rat and an AC30. It should sound good.

IIRC he only uses the AC30 for clean stuff. He uses a Triple Rec for the dirt.
grab a rat. How much are you willing to spend because there are some pretty good rat clones out there. look into the cmatmods ratified. uses a nicer op amp than the current production rats and gives you some more tone shaping options.

if you want to spend a little more i have heard in person both the White face reissue from Proco and the JAM pedals Rattler and they both sound great. The cmatmods is great value though, uses the same op amp as the other 2.
I've got a Whiteface reissue, it's a great sounding distorting for sure.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
you could also get a new Rat2 pedal modded. i know JHS does one and also Keeley does a nice Rat mod too, i have a modded Rat and it can get a lot of different tones including just fuzzy raw disgusting gain so it should be perfect
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by MissingNumber
Looking for a Nirvana-esque (more Bleach/Utero than Nevermind) kinda sound which I can later mold into my own thing. Obvious choices are Boss DS1, 2, Rat and Big Muff. Any advice on those or others?

Chars.

Kurt used all of those man,
If you're looking for a more Heart-Shaped Box tone, get the Muff.
Quote by darkwolf291
Kurt used all of those man,
If you're looking for a more Heart-Shaped Box tone, get the Muff.

It's really good for getting that sound. Which is weird, because he didn't use a Big Muff at all on In Utero. He probably used a DS-2 to get that sound.

So far as I've gathered, he only used the Big Muff on Territorial Pissings and Lithium on Nevermind.
Quote by darkwolf291
Wrong.
He actually DID use a Big Muff on Heart-Shaped Box.
It's a characteristic Muff tone.

Obviously I wasn't there or anything but I've read essentially every source on the topic I could find and the only two times he ever used the Big Muff to record were for Territorial Pissings and Lithium.

It sounds a lot like a Big Muff it's true, but I can't find anyone anywhere claiming he used it on anything except for one or two songs on Nevermind. And there's quite a bit of people who have looked into this stuff far more than I have. I find it more likely he used the DS-2 on the turbo setting, tone probably turned all the way to the left, distortion all the way up.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
DS1 and a Small Clone. Boom.

+1
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.