I'm currently using an mxr fullbore metal and its treated me fairly well for a while. (just running it over the clean channel of my VHT special 6 ultra with schecter c1 hell raiser) however, lately it seems as though my ears are becoming a little better tuned and i'm noticing that the pedal is lacking in some areas.

pinched harmonics sound very unnatural and all together like balls.

not very much clarity in chord work (i'm looking for very strong note definition with big chords)

i'm just looking for something that is super tight and does high gain very well.

a new amp isn't an option at the moment so i'd rather just trade this in at GC and put that towards a new pedal to hold me over.

less than $200, influences are all that remains, as i lay dying, killswitch engage.... etc
I'd recommend either the silver dragon by Rocktron or the Jeckyll and Hyde if you ever feel like you might want a lighter overdriven tone.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
maybe not exactly the style youre looking for, but the fulltone ocd is fantastic
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
maybe not exactly the style youre looking for, but the fulltone ocd is fantastic

Fails at high gain on a clean amp. I love, love, love my OCD but it isn't great at high gain. Especially when compared to a silver dragon or something meant for gain.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The Electro Harmonix Metal Muff is probably the most "tube like" pedal I have heard. Warm, good dynamics, very natural sounding. If you are looking for a high gain pedal, that's what I would look at.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Spending $200 on pedal to run through the clean channel of that amp really doesn't make sense to me but I've posted in enough of your threads for you to know that already so I guess I don't have much to offer.

pinch harmonics, clarity, big chords and tight distortion cannot be had with a pedal.

those are things you get from an amp imo - i higher wattage higher end amp.
Wampler SLOstortion or Triple Wreck are worth a look.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Spending $200 on pedal to run through the clean channel of that amp really doesn't make sense to me but I've posted in enough of your threads for you to know that already so I guess I don't have much to offer.

pinch harmonics, clarity, big chords and tight distortion cannot be had with a pedal.

those are things you get from an amp imo - i higher wattage higher end amp.

as much as i want to upgrade my amp, even to something along the lines of a 6505, it just isn't worth it for me right now because i leave for college in 6 months and i won't have the room for that. so its easier and more cost efficient for me to just hold onto what i have at the moment and make the best out of it. when i get more into gigging and whatnot then i will really put some money towards a new amp. i've gone back and forth as to whether or not i want to put the money into a new amp. but unless i come across $600, then it will just have to be a pedal for now
Quote by andrerist
I'm currently using an mxr fullbore metal and its treated me fairly well for a while. (just running it over the clean channel of my VHT special 6 ultra with schecter c1 hell raiser) however, lately it seems as though my ears are becoming a little better tuned and i'm noticing that the pedal is lacking in some areas.

pinched harmonics sound very unnatural and all together like balls.

not very much clarity in chord work (i'm looking for very strong note definition with big chords)

i'm just looking for something that is super tight and does high gain very well.

a new amp isn't an option at the moment so i'd rather just trade this in at GC and put that towards a new pedal to hold me over.

less than $200, influences are all that remains, as i lay dying, killswitch engage.... etc

everything you described (bad pinch harmonics, note clarity and chord clarity, super tight) does not become an issue through your pedal. thats all an issue from your:
pickups
strings (age, type, winding)
amps voicing
tubes in your amp
amps speaker
the settings on your amp
the amps voicing
and the amps voicing.

edit: your pedals can only MASK those features. if they aren't already prevalent in your amp, then getting a high gain pedal really won't help, because the potential isn't even there to begin with.

thats like me trying to drag racing with a honda civic after i replaced the tailpipe. its a joke.
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 15, 2012,
i agree with 311, but take a look at some of the joyos. they're cheap enough that even if they don't do what you want, it's not the end of the world, and most of them are based on classic pedals. they have a new, slightly dearer, range coming out which might be worth a look, too- one of them looks suspiciously like a suhr riot clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can find used 5150/6505 combos for around $400 on CL. Hold onto your $200 and sell the Special 6 Ultra, then get yourself a proper metal amp instead of going about it the wrong way.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Blackstar HT-Metal?
or maybe one of the other Blackstar pedals?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB